“Outstanding Vacation!!!”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Miami, FL
“Outstanding Vacation!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2007

I have recently stayed at this hotel from June 4-10 for a week long getaway. My principal concern was to stay in a hotel that would accommodate my wife (non-diver) and four year old son.
Upon arrival we were all pleased with not only the attractive room, but with the outstanding and generous service offered by the staff. I scheduled four (2-Tank) dives with their local shop (Aqua Safari) and had the best time. The staff at the shop were excellent as well and had some outstanding dives to remember.

The rooms are exactly what other reviewers are saying, nothing short of excellent. We stayed on the fourth floor (430) and had the best ocean view. The rooms come with all amenities you can ask and some you never would expect such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, creams, shampoo along with conditioner. My wife was extremely impressed to say the least.
The hotel is located near the downtown area, which makes for easy shopping. There is also a shopping center directly across the street for last minute needs (shampoo, creams) and their prices were very reasonable. Your also close to some of the better restaurants if you are interested in tasting some local food.

The food was excellent. You may not enjoy a plate, just return and try something else. You will not be disappointed by the food. The drinks were also very good. I had enough margaritas to say that they did a fine job!!! The shows were a bit corny, but we had a great time. The fire show was by far the best. They had a hypnotist this week for the first time and he was fun as well. My son loved the kids club, which is equipped with three Nintendo Game Cubes and an X-Box 360 as well as a large screen TV for movies. So they are very well prepared for your little young ones, who will love their staff as well.

Overall, the best part of my stay was the staff at the hotel. They were warm and very helpful. You felt like you were truly welcome in their hotel. I felt more accepted here than when I stayed at the Ritz Carlton last year. I am planning another stay next year!!!

• Liked — Brand new accomadations, fully renovated. Excellent staff!!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank kuma1720

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,276)
  • Hebrew first
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

This trip was a surprise for my husband's birthday. Because of that I wanted everything to be perfect. The cozumel palace fit that bill.

From the second you walk into the lobby, when they hand you a cool washcloth and a glass of champagne with a cherry in it to the second you reluctantly leave, the service is 200%.

We did have a problem with our room (directly outside the gym), they switched it 3x until we were happy. It was a little bit of a pain to go thru 3 rooms in 2 days, but the staff was soooo accommodating and pleasant to deal with, it wasn't so bad. In the end we got the room we wanted, where we wanted and loved it.

By the poolside there are always several people walking around ready to grab your empty glass to bring you a refill. The poolside bar service is great (go Angel!). I was never thirsty. The staff by the pool is fun, but not pushy. You want to play volleyball, play. Don't want to, then don't. Roqui is hysterical, great during the merengue and salsa lessons and just in general a funny guy who made the afternoons entertaining. We had daily volleyball games in the pool, and it's a great way to meet people and cool off.

About the resort: Clean is an understatement. They are constantly cleaning and it shows.

The food - if I had anything to say about the food, it's that I was surprised the mexican food wasn't that good. It seemed rather bland. The italian and oriental restaurants were great. Grill too. Room service any time of the day or night is a wonderful thing.

I also wish that they had a beach. We watched the sunset every night by the poolside, but there is something about watching the sunset while you hear the waves that makes it a different experience.

Overall - my husband and I loved our vacation. The staff, the Spa, the food, the drinks, etc couldn't have been better.

• Liked — The Service was tops
  • Disliked — The Mexican food
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BigDaddyNY
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

Wow...where to start? The Cozumel Palace definitely exceeded our expectations in nearly every way. We tsayed from May 28-June 4 and had the perfect honeymoon. Here's a breakdown by category:

Room-Picture Perfect...the rooms were exactly the way they look on the Palace websites. The rooms with the beautiful marble floors and two person tub were what originally caught our eye and proved to be everything we anticipated. We loved the balcony...the view from room 307 was spectacular! The air conditioning was jet powered...it was extrememly humid while we were there and the room was never warm or sticky. The bathroom was spacious and the shower had excellent water pressure. The fridge was restocked every day with 7-Up, Pepsi and Pepsi Light, bottled water, Tacate Light and Dos Equis. They also keep the room stocked with 4 additional bottles of water that we used to brush our teeth. If we ran low we made a call and whatever we needed always arrived within 15 minutes.

Food-Much better than anticipated. As an AI, my expectations were not that high. We loved the Asian and Italian restaurants. My wife loved the Kani Rolls from the Susi menu and the appetizers and dipping sauces at the Asian restaurant were very high quality. Breakfasts had a huge selection of hot dishes, fruit, crereals and breads, and an omellete/waffle/breakfast burrito bar. I always had black beans and Mexican sausage for a breakfast...gave me energy for my day! Lunches mainly consisted of sandwiches, nachos, burgers, etc. The food did get a little old by the 7th day, but overall was very good. We did not care for the Mexican restaurant but I generally do not like Mexican food. They offer a romantic candlelight diiner on the pool deck by the ocean that was very nice with personalized menus and a fantastic desert plate!

Drinks-Also better than I expected. I'm not a fan of Mexican Beer so I drank mostly frozen drinks by day and Bourbon and Coke at night. The frozen drinks were excellent...I recommend the Rum Runner and Miami Vice. The bourbon and cokes were poured strong enough for my tastes and I like my bourbon strong. Make sure you have Augustine make his famous bumblebee shots...they are great! We also liked the "Bob Marley" shots in the lobby bar. The resort does a bartending lesson class that is so much fun. They mix up 7 or 8 different drinks and show you how they are made and hand out samples to everyone...lots of fun!

Service-this is the area that really blew us away. I cant say enough about the staff at The Cozumel Palace! They are awesome! Never have I been treated so well by such a large group of people. The superior service was not limited to one person or one area of the resort...it was everywhere. It blew my mind how many staff members called us by name within the first 2 days of our stay. Augustine at the bar, Samuel in the Asian restaurant, and Isaac the doorman really stood out amongst a staff that nearly always was perfect. PLEASE tip the staff if you visit the Palace. We tipped at least $1/visit to the bar, $4/day for housekeeping, $1-$2/day for the minibar, $2 for room service, $5 at dinner, and gave $10 to our favorite bartender and waiter at the end of the week. Tips are very much appreciated and after you see how hard the staff works to make sure you enjoy yourself...you feel like you cant tip enough. These folks work VERY long hours and always do it wiith a smile.

Activities-We took the Manta snorkeling trip which picked us up right at the Cozumel Palace pier. Great trip! Luis made sure we had everything we needed. We also rented a Jeep and went to the Eastside of the island...this is a must do. We visited the Rasta Bar, Chen Rio, Coconuts, and Mexcalitos...all are great spots and have unique characteristics. There was an 18-wheeler tanker truck on the beach next to Mexcalitos...apparently the driver was drunk and missed the end of the road the day before we were there. Fortunately, he did not hit any people or cars, but they expected it would be there for a couple of weeks as there is no equipment on the island capable of getting the truck out of the sand. The pool at the Cozumel Palace is awesome and much needed when the sun is beating down. The music was not nearly as loud as had been previously written on the forum so I am assuming that problem has been corrected.

My one word of caution about the Palace is due to it's small size...it can take on the personality of those that are staying there. The first 6 days we were there was perfect...a nice mix of couples and families. Our last day, everything changed. A group of approximately 15 recent HS grads arrived...not very pleasant. Giving 18 yr olds unlimited access to alcohol, water, and balconies is a very bad idea regardless of what country you are in. There was also a very large group of 30-somethings that arrived that were more boorish and obnoxious than the high-schoolers. I felt bad for the other 200 people that came to the resort based on it's reputation of being a low-key, relaxing place to stay...we definitely felt like we were leaving at the right time.

All in all, the Palace is a great place to stay...we cant wait to go back next year!

• Liked — Service, beautiful rooms
  • Disliked — Obnoxious guests that arrived our last day
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank OlDad
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2007

If you' re looking for a beautiful hotel with the most wonderful staff imaginable then go to the Cozumel Palace. I can't even begin to tell you how much we loved the staff there. From the minute you arrive the staff is treating you like they've been waiting for you to get there. The room was beautiful & clean, the pool was crystal clear & so many activities for kids as well as adults. Pool side lunch & bar, restaurant entrance just off the pool. Every night they had a different show--food was wonderful & if you wanted something not exactly on the menu they got it for you. We met so many nice people from different cities all just there to relax & be pampered. The hotel spa was the best--we got the couple massage & I got a after sun facial that included a message & whatever they used made my skin feel like velvet. Night time in the main bar was a riot with all different audience participation. The staff was amazing with their smiling faces & so happy to please you. Our last night the staff in the main restaurant made us a special dessert for our going away dinner--they have no idea how sad we were to leave. We tipped big & we tipped alot at this hotel not only because it made them feel good, but it made us feel twice as good to see their eyes light up & the smile just light up their faces. These are truly people that not only deserve it because of how hard they work & try to please, but because they really appreciate it. I could go on & on about what you can expect, you just have to experience it for yourself --I promise you won't be disappointed you did. This was a place to remember --I promised we'd be back & we will.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CocoaSunBunny
Utica, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2007

The guest is truly king at the Cozumel Palace. My wife and I honeymooned there for a week in May/June 2007 and were very impressed with both the hotel staff and the comfortable accomodations.

The room was large, well air-conditioned and kept spotless throughout the trip. They even put wine, champagne and liquor in the room. There is no beach, but we did not miss it at all, instead spending time snorkeling and lounging by the pool.

The staff is what makes this hotel exemplary. They are so attentive and make an effort to know the guests, in fact by the fourth or fifth day most staff members knew us by name. They encourage you to participate in activities such as volleyball, bingo, and salsa dancing.

The food was very good and they offer the variety of three restaurants. We loved the Asian restaurant, but the others were good too. The buffet is also very good.

The town is quaint and we felt safe walking down the main street even at night. Sales people are a little pushy and a few of the male shop owners made it a point to whistle at my wife, but nothing to get crazy over. Everything of interest is within a 10 minute walk and cab rides costs us 3 bucks (about 33 pesos).

Overall a great experience, and I recommend it highly. If you plan on going you may want to avoid late May, as I understand it is the stormy season and we did have a couple of days of clouds and rain.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank salpaladino21
Macon, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

We just returned from the CP and it was fantastic. Great service, food and drinks. We went diving the first three mornings, so we ordered breakfast from room service. They leave you a form each nite that has menu items on it. You just check the items you want and the time you want it , then hang it on your door by 3:00 a.m. The room they gave us had queen beds , so we asked to be moved. They told us they were full, but a room with a kingsize bed would be available the next day . They were happy to move us. We got a room on the 3rd floor right by the elevator, it was great. We would come back from diving and change swimsuits, then hit the lobby bar for drinks and snacks. They have the best guacamole and pico de gallo. They also have different snacks each day like chimachangas, sausages wrapped in bacon, wings, burritos and more. Then we would go to the lunch buffet. They have very good chicken and beef tacos. Marcos is the head waiter there, he works very hard to please you as does everyone that works there. You can also eat outside at a table or they will bring your food and drinks to your chair by the pool. They have club sandwiches, BLTs,hamburgers, nachos and more. Francesco the pool waiter is on the ball and you never see him when he is not smiling. The 1st nite we ate at dinner outside . I had a N.Y. strip and it was very good. Next nite was Italian(Turuesa) , the parmesan soup and lasagna were great. The 3rd nite was room service, the chicken and rice soup and shrimp cocktail are excellent. The 4th nite we walked downtown to LaChoza. The food was super and our waiter Angel was the best. The 5th & 6th we ate asian (MoMoNoHaNa),it was our favorite. Ask for shrimp tempura, it is not on the menu but they will fix you some. The chicken appetizers are very good and so is the chicken or shrimp teriyaki. finnish it off with some tempura ice cream. Now to the diving.We used Aqua Safari located at the CP. They are first rate. Our divemaster the 1st day was Mariano. He was was on the fast boat Belinda. Mariano would point out many things you would otherwise miss. He recommended us for a special dive the 2nd day to Punta Sur
(The Devils Throat). It is 120 ft. deep thru a tunnel. We had to rent computers for this dive. The divemasters for this dive were Chino (Mariano's older brother) and Manuel. Chino was a real character and a great divemaster. This dive was very exciting. We made a nite dive that evening also and it was fantastic. t was our 2nd nite dive ever. At the end of the dive we saw our first octopus and he put on a real show. My camera had fogged a bit, but I still got pictures. We took the 4th day off and walked into town to shop. My wife found a man named Nacho that handmade silver jewelery and she bought plenty. Room service fix us sandwiches to take diving the 5th day. This time we want to do a wall dive, so Mariano took us to Santa Rosa Wall. The wall was very nice. It drops to 3000 ft. very quickly. Our second dive was on Yucab Reef. There we saw two huge crabs fighting. While my wife and Mariano watched the crabs, my daughter and I swam ahead. I looked and saw a 6 ft. reef shark swimming not 10 ft. to the side of her. She finally saw it and was so excited. I was only able to get one picture. The 6th day we rented a jeep down the street at Pay Less for $50. We drove around the Island. The other side is very different and a must see. We ate at Coconuts, good food and great views.Girls are photographed topless and their pictures are added to albums on the bar. We are looking forward to returning to the CP soon. The staff is waiting to please you . When you say thank you they reply " It is my pleasure" and they act like they mean it . Smiles everywhere. I just wish you could get service like that where I live. We have stayed at many Als in both Cancun and Cozumel , this is by far the best.

• Liked — The Service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank upndnman
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Cozumel Palace this past weekend, June 2. Unfortunately we had pouring rain 4 days out of our 5 day stay, complete with dark, grey clouds, thunder, lightening and not a glimpse of the sun. We were extremely disappointed. We're from Ohio where we experience long winters with the lack of sun and looked forward to laying by the pool while soaking up the sun for five days.

However, we did love staying at the Cozumel Palace. We were assigned room 118 located on the first floor. True, it can be a noisy location, but we decided not to switch rooms the next day as it is very convenient to the lobby bar, a pot of coffee, and light pastries available 24 hours. Our room was large and extremely clean. The air conditioning was wonderful and plenty of hot water with a very large shower big enough for both me and my husband!

The room is equipped with a bar stocked with full bottles of Jim Beam, vodka, tequilla, and I think scotch. The refrigerator is stocked with bottled water, an assortment of Pepsis, soda water, tonic and beer. There's even a complimentary bottle of wine and a plate of fruit upon arrival. They refill the refrig of all beverages every day.

The bed is comfy. No problems there.

My husband and I found the food service to be very good. Actually, the food was better than I had expected. And, it's plentiful. Please remember that you can have room service 24 hours a day. We ordered a BLT delivered to our room very late one night and popped opened a few beers out of the frig. before going to bed. This is something I would never do at home but it was pure luxery to have sandwiches and hot fries delivered to the room. The only problem is with over eating. It's easy to eat yourself sick, especially with the weather we had. Try to pace yourself during the day so that you don't end up miserable.

The restaurants available are oriental, mexican, italian and the grilled steak restaurant which is served at the pool area.

The oriental restuarant serves sushui.This was pretty good, not the best we've ever had but still good. We ate at the steak grill the rest of the dinners. They serve the peel and eat shrimp with rib eye steaks. ...Pretty good too. Again, not the best steak we've ever had but really not bad at all.

The pool area has a grill during the day that serves a wide variety menu...BLT's, burgers, Philly Steak sandwiches, Ruebens, etc. with fries. You can also do a make-it-yourself nachos with cheese sauce and meat topping. The gaucamole is fabulous. Ice cream on a stick is available all afternoon. There is also a special authentic mexican dish made every day that is served around the pool side.

The bar(s) are wonderful and will mix any drink you want but also have a large menu of blender drinks they will make. Pure yum. Must try the bumble bee ...3 different liquors layered in small brandy glass.

One of the best comments I have surrounds the hotel staff/personnel. I can't say enough about how nice and helpful they are. They truly work very hard to make your stay at the Palace wonderful. Maria, the breakfast cook, is amazing. She can cook omelettes and french toast faster and better than anyone I've seen. Sr. Isodoria, waiter at the italian restaurant, was so accomodating to my husband. I can't say enough good about him.

It's all too much to put into writing but please remember to say thank you to the staff for all their hard work. We observed some of the hotel guests (Americans) acting smug and rather unimpressed toward the staff. As an American I was, at times, embarassed by their rude behavior.

We decided to tip those who went over and above our needs/wishes. Without the staff this rainy vacation would have been a real bust.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to write.

• Liked — Hotel amenities and large room
  • Disliked — No beach
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple