“Super Vacation”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed June 5, 2007

We just returned from the CP and it was fantastic. Great service, food and drinks. We went diving the first three mornings, so we ordered breakfast from room service. They leave you a form each nite that has menu items on it. You just check the items you want and the time you want it , then hang it on your door by 3:00 a.m. The room they gave us had queen beds , so we asked to be moved. They told us they were full, but a room with a kingsize bed would be available the next day . They were happy to move us. We got a room on the 3rd floor right by the elevator, it was great. We would come back from diving and change swimsuits, then hit the lobby bar for drinks and snacks. They have the best guacamole and pico de gallo. They also have different snacks each day like chimachangas, sausages wrapped in bacon, wings, burritos and more. Then we would go to the lunch buffet. They have very good chicken and beef tacos. Marcos is the head waiter there, he works very hard to please you as does everyone that works there. You can also eat outside at a table or they will bring your food and drinks to your chair by the pool. They have club sandwiches, BLTs,hamburgers, nachos and more. Francesco the pool waiter is on the ball and you never see him when he is not smiling. The 1st nite we ate at dinner outside . I had a N.Y. strip and it was very good. Next nite was Italian(Turuesa) , the parmesan soup and lasagna were great. The 3rd nite was room service, the chicken and rice soup and shrimp cocktail are excellent. The 4th nite we walked downtown to LaChoza. The food was super and our waiter Angel was the best. The 5th & 6th we ate asian (MoMoNoHaNa),it was our favorite. Ask for shrimp tempura, it is not on the menu but they will fix you some. The chicken appetizers are very good and so is the chicken or shrimp teriyaki. finnish it off with some tempura ice cream. Now to the diving.We used Aqua Safari located at the CP. They are first rate. Our divemaster the 1st day was Mariano. He was was on the fast boat Belinda. Mariano would point out many things you would otherwise miss. He recommended us for a special dive the 2nd day to Punta Sur
(The Devils Throat). It is 120 ft. deep thru a tunnel. We had to rent computers for this dive. The divemasters for this dive were Chino (Mariano's older brother) and Manuel. Chino was a real character and a great divemaster. This dive was very exciting. We made a nite dive that evening also and it was fantastic. t was our 2nd nite dive ever. At the end of the dive we saw our first octopus and he put on a real show. My camera had fogged a bit, but I still got pictures. We took the 4th day off and walked into town to shop. My wife found a man named Nacho that handmade silver jewelery and she bought plenty. Room service fix us sandwiches to take diving the 5th day. This time we want to do a wall dive, so Mariano took us to Santa Rosa Wall. The wall was very nice. It drops to 3000 ft. very quickly. Our second dive was on Yucab Reef. There we saw two huge crabs fighting. While my wife and Mariano watched the crabs, my daughter and I swam ahead. I looked and saw a 6 ft. reef shark swimming not 10 ft. to the side of her. She finally saw it and was so excited. I was only able to get one picture. The 6th day we rented a jeep down the street at Pay Less for $50. We drove around the Island. The other side is very different and a must see. We ate at Coconuts, good food and great views.Girls are photographed topless and their pictures are added to albums on the bar. We are looking forward to returning to the CP soon. The staff is waiting to please you . When you say thank you they reply " It is my pleasure" and they act like they mean it . Smiles everywhere. I just wish you could get service like that where I live. We have stayed at many Als in both Cancun and Cozumel , this is by far the best.

6  Thank upndnman
Write a ReviewReviews (3,793)

Reviewed June 4, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Cozumel Palace this past weekend, June 2. Unfortunately we had pouring rain 4 days out of our 5 day stay, complete with dark, grey clouds, thunder, lightening and not a glimpse of the sun. We were extremely disappointed. We're from Ohio where we experience long winters with the lack of sun and looked forward to laying by the pool while soaking up the sun for five days.

However, we did love staying at the Cozumel Palace. We were assigned room 118 located on the first floor. True, it can be a noisy location, but we decided not to switch rooms the next day as it is very convenient to the lobby bar, a pot of coffee, and light pastries available 24 hours. Our room was large and extremely clean. The air conditioning was wonderful and plenty of hot water with a very large shower big enough for both me and my husband!

The room is equipped with a bar stocked with full bottles of Jim Beam, vodka, tequilla, and I think scotch. The refrigerator is stocked with bottled water, an assortment of Pepsis, soda water, tonic and beer. There's even a complimentary bottle of wine and a plate of fruit upon arrival. They refill the refrig of all beverages every day.

The bed is comfy. No problems there.

My husband and I found the food service to be very good. Actually, the food was better than I had expected. And, it's plentiful. Please remember that you can have room service 24 hours a day. We ordered a BLT delivered to our room very late one night and popped opened a few beers out of the frig. before going to bed. This is something I would never do at home but it was pure luxery to have sandwiches and hot fries delivered to the room. The only problem is with over eating. It's easy to eat yourself sick, especially with the weather we had. Try to pace yourself during the day so that you don't end up miserable.

The restaurants available are oriental, mexican, italian and the grilled steak restaurant which is served at the pool area.

The oriental restuarant serves sushui.This was pretty good, not the best we've ever had but still good. We ate at the steak grill the rest of the dinners. They serve the peel and eat shrimp with rib eye steaks. ...Pretty good too. Again, not the best steak we've ever had but really not bad at all.

The pool area has a grill during the day that serves a wide variety menu...BLT's, burgers, Philly Steak sandwiches, Ruebens, etc. with fries. You can also do a make-it-yourself nachos with cheese sauce and meat topping. The gaucamole is fabulous. Ice cream on a stick is available all afternoon. There is also a special authentic mexican dish made every day that is served around the pool side.

The bar(s) are wonderful and will mix any drink you want but also have a large menu of blender drinks they will make. Pure yum. Must try the bumble bee ...3 different liquors layered in small brandy glass.

One of the best comments I have surrounds the hotel staff/personnel. I can't say enough about how nice and helpful they are. They truly work very hard to make your stay at the Palace wonderful. Maria, the breakfast cook, is amazing. She can cook omelettes and french toast faster and better than anyone I've seen. Sr. Isodoria, waiter at the italian restaurant, was so accomodating to my husband. I can't say enough good about him.

It's all too much to put into writing but please remember to say thank you to the staff for all their hard work. We observed some of the hotel guests (Americans) acting smug and rather unimpressed toward the staff. As an American I was, at times, embarassed by their rude behavior.

We decided to tip those who went over and above our needs/wishes. Without the staff this rainy vacation would have been a real bust.

If you have specific questions don't hesitate to write.

5  Thank passionatedesigner
Reviewed June 4, 2007

Just wanted to say that I'm amazed at the things people will complain about. We found this resort to be excellent. As soon as we arrived we were treated like appreciated guest. We were given a glass of champagne, cool cloth and checked in to our room in a few short minutes.

Rooms: We found the rooms to be very clean, comfortable and roomy. The ocean view, king sized bed, double jacuzzi, balcony, seperate shower, all was awesome (Room 312). Some complained about noise in the hallways. Sound does echo down the hallways but we never had a big party, etc. come by. Just ever once in a while you may hear someone talking down the hallway and then a door shut. But we never had a problem at night sleeping. Wasnt that big of a deal. Our room was cleaned everyday as expected. Someone would also make a round in the evening and check to see if we needed more towels. Our bed would normally be turned down at night.

Shows: I dont normally get into the shows at the resorts. We did observe a couple and they seemed good and the crew put a lot into the shows.

Food: At this resort there is only 3 restaurants and the poolside grill in the evening. We ate all four locations and loved the food. Breakfast was always very good in the Italian restaurant. The lunch was good at the poolside grill and the italian restaurant. The room service was very prompt and good.

Ocean: This resort does not have a true beach. There are two manmade "sand" areas if you just want sand. We did snorkel at the resort and it was pretty fun. Didnt see a lot of different fish but still enjoyed. The water was really beautiful and refreshing.

Salon services has great massages.

The location of the resort is convenient to shopping, Jimmy Buffetts, Carlos and Charlies, Senor Frogs. We walked there many times, safety was not an issue and the merchants were never too pushy. A simple No usually does the trick.

We did the "90 minute presentation" just to see what it was all about. The salespeople were not pushy at all. We simply told them NO, they offered us other options again a simple NO was all it took. It did take longer than 90 minutes but that was more of us digging to get all the information we could about it.

We've stayed at Moon Palace two years in a row. This is much, much smaller. 2000 rooms vs. 143 rooms. Much different atmosphere. We're not divers but most of the guest here are. So during the day here it was pretty quiet because many people were on dive excursions. Someone complained about the "blaring music" by the pool during the day and all the loud commotion. This was far from our experience. We were able to lay by the pool, relax and take a nap if we wanted. There was not a lot of kids running everywhere as one said although their were a few. But never a problem.

Overall we loved our vacation, we had good food, good service, great facility and were around great people. I would definitely go back and recommend to most anyone. Email me with any questions.

9  Thank cbishop3
Reviewed May 26, 2007

We were treated like royalty as soon as we walked in. Everyone was helpful and fantastic. I would recommend this place to any couple getting away. The food was great! The service was superb! It was a fantastic experience. Downtown was a short walk away. The Cruise ships were fun to watch coming and going.

1  Thank mtobec9
Reviewed May 24, 2007

Besides not getting our room until 5:pm instead of by the 3:pm check-in time, everything else was great. Seems like the hotel overbooked and caused some people to get rooms that actually had a street view even though their website says 100% ocean views. We also recieved a room with double beds rather than a king as requested. This seemed to be pretty common.

We went with a group of 12 couples and the concensus was that this was the best trip and hotel we have been to (we have done 3 other group trips together). Although there is no beach, the pool is great and the reef at the hotel made for excellent snorkeling. To get the fish close to you, take a few chips from the nachos and hold them in your hands. The fish will eat out of your hands and will even nip at your fingers. It was great. Also, I would suggest the free snorkel tour in the glass bottom boat. You won't see much in the glass bottom, but there are lots of fish to see when you get out of the boat. Big bonus for us, we left the dock just as a group of about 8 dolphins came through the channel and the boat driver took us right to the dolphins so they swam up to the boat and with the boat for about 5 minutes. It was a neat experience.

The grill was not good on Friday night we were there but some of the others said it was good on Sunday. We loved the mexican restaurant for dinner. The beef fajitas were wonderful. The breakfast was great. I ate made to order omelets every morning and my wife had the french toast.

For a small excursion, take a walk across the street to a Walmart type store and then north down the wide sidewalks toward the shopping area. You will past Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville (2 blocks from CP), then to a nice higher end shopping where the cruise ships dock. Go on past that to the ferry dock area. Shop the alley ways for the best deals. It will get hot so go early. Then catch a cab back to the CP for $3.00. Add another dollar for the driver and he will love you.

Back to the rooms, once we got one and after we got over the fact that we may have to sleep in seperate beds to get a good night sleep, they are really nice. We were on the 5th floor so we had a wonderful view. Take advantage of the hammock in the mornings before the sun gets to the west side of the hotel. Great bathrooms with Biosilk shampoo and conditioner provided as well as a shaving kit, toothbrush, Colgate toothpaste and bubble bath for the hottub.

Watch the storms, we had a bad storm come in one afternoon about 5pm that caused water to come under our sliding door and even came in to the lobby. The CP has excellent generators that provide electricity when it goes out. The rest of the island was completely dark. The next night the storm came through at the same time but was gone in 20 minutes and the grill opened at the normal time.

I would suggest this hotel for couples and adults only. I don't think it would be good for kids. No real kiddie pool and no beach. For those looking for a fruity drink, go with the Miami Vice. Just try it.

Oh, one of the best things is about a 5 minute drive from the Cozumel Airport. This is a small airport and easy to get through. We landed at 10:30 and was by the pool by 11:10a. Can't beat that. At the CP, they meet you at the door with champagne and a cool wet towel. You have a seat in the lobby area and staff will come around and get your drink orders.

That is all I can think of right now. Definitely would return to this hotel and island.

• Stayed: May 2007
3  Thank bankerjm
Reviewed May 24, 2007

We spent a week at the Cozumel Palace starting on May 10th. This is supposed to be the Off season, but except for one very stormy evening, clouds came and went and we enjoyed the smaller crowds. We arrived to drinks and snacks in the beautifull lobby. But when we were given our room number it was 215, an area we'd seen other, negative, comments about in other reviews. This is one of the rooms over the pool area and there is a large patio outside of your "private" patio. They did call and offer another room a couple of days into the trip, but we had decided it wasn't worth the move. We actually watched the shows, which are performed at the pool area, from the large patio. If you were someone that went to bed early and were a light sleeper it could be a problem though. And you're "private" patio is not very private in those rooms.
We thought the service was exceptional. We also thought that the food was very good. Although I came to realize that I should have asked more questions about what was being served at the pool grill. They have a menu, but it seems they serve other goodies on variable days and the waiters/waitresses did not inform us of these.
My wife enjoyed the pool area but I enjoyed the snorkeling much more. You can snorkel right off of the pool area. And although there isn't really any colorfull coral to speak of (I was told a lot of the coral in the shallows around Cozumel was destroyed by the hurricanes) when I was patient and focused on the rock/coral formations that were there I was rewarded by seeing several different types of eels and many kinds of beautiful fish. But a warning; pay attention to the warning about Fire coral. I bumped into the coral wall below the pool area and developed a rash/ reaction. The EMT at the hotel gave me an ointment and I started taking antihistimines and it didn't really affect my experience much, although it did hurt. I still snorkeled in six different locations. Just respect the sea and don't touch things.
One trip I have to mention is the snorkeling trip I took with Mystic tours. Roswitha's boat/snorkeling trip was just as advertised. Three locations and a lot of sea life to view. And it was out where the hurricanes did not affect the coral much. I took advantage of her photography and she made a great CD of pictures for me.
I also snorkeled at the Chankanaab State Park. There is an incredible variety of fishes there. And you snorkel right off of the beach and then set on lounge chairs and relax. We had planned to come back later and see the other attractions there but got side tracked.
We spent a couple of afternoons having lunch at Coconuts. That is one of the best views I have ever enjoyed margaritas over. And the margaritas, as well as the food, were very good also.
Playa Bonita was also a great stop. It's not for snorkeling, its a beach/surf spot. We waded out in the surf and had schools of fish swimming around us. But we did not sample the food there.
We took the ferry over to Play del Carmen one day and you must take note of this; down the street to the right after you leave the ferry there is a little Mexican department store. If you're going shopping for clothes, snorkeling gear etc, stop there first. It will at least give you an idea of what things should cost out in the markets.
All in all it was a great trip.

3  Thank oregon33
Reviewed May 23, 2007

I stayed at the Cozumel Palace in December (over Christmas break) with my in-laws and had a nice time. However, I think the reviews might leave the impression that this is a 5 star hotel experience. IT IS NOT. The hotel is nice and clean and the staff is excellent- very, very friendly. BUT, it is not a fantasy vacation or anything. The food is decent (the room service is TERRIBLE) and the breakfast buffet is good, though a lot of the baked goods and cereals are fairly gross as a result of the humidity. The lunch buffet is decent and the poolside food is passable. The food at the evening restaurants was good- the Japanese was by far the best- but this is not exactly top notch cuisine. We were surprised at how good most stuff was, but this is primarly because it was included in the room price. If I had to pay separately for the food, I would have been disappointed. The restaurants in town are surprisingly good and very affordable. La Choza (don't be turned off by the outside appearance) and Guidos' (surprisingly delicious Italian-get a pizza and the minestrone) are highly recommended. I also recommend renting a car and driving out to the more remote areas of the island and having a lunch at Coconuts past Playa Sur. The water is beautiful and clear and it is not touristy at all, unlike the cruise ship passenger bombared area in town.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family