Cozumel Palace
$193
$200
$168
3,948 results
All reviewsresort creditaqua safariloft suiteromantic dinnerchef's dinnervacation plannerspay taxthe concierge levelitalian restaurantoutdoor grillspa treatmentssandy areashour room servicehammock on the balconymy pleasuredolphin swimplaya del carmen
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We started taking one week vacations to this part of Mexico, 8 years ago, this month. We started out with some all-inclusives in Playa del Carmen, and moved up towards Cancun, at the Mayan Palace/Grand Mayan. A year ago we spent a week at the Moon Palace, our first visit to one of the many Palace resorts in this part of Mexico. I thought we were pretty much done with all-inclusives, honestly, but we had a week to use and was encouraged to try the Cozumel palace.

All I can say is we were very surprised how nice this smaller of the Palace resorts was, for the week that we were there. Due to it's size (200 rooms as compared to 2000 at the Moon Palace) this hotel was a joy to relax in. The jacuzzi suite rooms are much nicer then those at the Moon Palace, and can only be described as cozy with the vaulted ceilings over the beds. The people were very friendly and you had a feeling this was employing local families, who have committed to working there, and enjoying their contribution. I like to know who is trying so hard to provide service, so had some great conversations with many who were of Mayan decent, and found them to be very, very personable. The pool was never a problem in finding lounge chairs, and the pool service was the best. They have this thing where they bring out treats from the chefs in the kitchen to almost everybody around the pool, each day, that I thought was very cool. Once day they made paella at the pool, some days it's a frozen treat, and my favorite was a bowl of shrimp ceveche in avacado half shells. The 3 main restaurants managed to produce some very tasty food, which was a far cry better then what the Moon palace struggles to do, with so many more families staying in this resort. We ate at all of them, but enjoyed the Italian restaurant the best. You had to wear a collared shirt and pants, but it was worth it. The pool cafe was great for lunchtime, and had an ourdoor grill with lots of side dishs over warmers.

It is at the outdoor dinners at the pool that they offer evening entertainment. This was an even bigger shock when we managed to catch the fire show put on by a group from Playa called the Kingdom of Fire. This large group put on a show that is the same as what they do at the Blue Parrot each night, but only perform at the Cozumel palace once a week. It's a combination of primal percussion, great vocals, and of course, lots and lots of fire. It's a group that is well worth seeing, and right after you have had a great dinner at the resort. I'll post some pics from that night, but the other nights were almost as entertaining, particularly the Mexican night, which includes Mayan performances as well.

I needed to post this to show my appreciation for the great time we had while staying there, last week, and would love to go back. My kids lifed the wireless internet in the rooms. If you do make it to this place, be sure to rent a car and drive to the other side of the island. You can't appreciate the waters between Cozumel and the Mayan peninsula, until you see the fury of the Atlantic ocean. It's a pit primative over there, but there are some great places to stop and have some great seafood (Coconuts or the Paradise) before you complete the 50 some miles that is the only loop on the island.

We plan to finally take some dive training the next time we return, because this is the center of some of the very best diving that Mexico has to offer. The snorkeling was good enough, and even without a beach at the resort, we loved every minute we were there, truly.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank kahits
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Went here for a destination wedding...

For the price I would have rather stayed somewhere non-inclusive and had actual Mexican food...since Cozumel Palace makes it hard to find decent Mexican food. They do have two 'restaurants', one of which is Mexican. But I've had better Mexican at the average chain restaurant in the US. The food was just not anything to get excited over. And the promises of seafood, lobster, and "whatever you want" were far and away a dream. It was pretty much chicken and some sort of beef here at best. The other restaurant was "oriental" as they call it. The restaurants are not open until after dinner time. You can order room service or go to a buffet at other times. Food-wise, the better food we had was room service, though even that was very hit or miss. The tortilla chips that came with somethings were the worst things ever--completely stale. Odd, considering you're in Mexico. The steak sandwich is decent. The buffet for breakfast/lunch is OK...

The inclusiveness of the drinks is your typical well liquor, nothing too exciting.

The amenities of the hotel itself were OK, but nothing overwhelming. A pool was the main feature I guess. Don't be misled into thinking this is beachfront. It's not. They have a fake sand area they call a beach on their map, but it's an elevated concrete area they've filled with some sand. The sea is a good 10' drop from there. You can however get some snorkels from the hotel and go snorkeling right there, though the majority of the time we stayed they had flags out saying the weather didn't permit. We did get to do it briefly, and it was a lot of fun.

We got extremely annoyed at their pre-arranged transit. The taxi and van services they use are a transportation company the hotel themselves owns. For the transit to the hotel from Cancun, you board their shuttle, wait for the shuttle to fill, then go to their hotel in Playa. Then you have to go into the hotel to get ferry tickets, etc. Overall the process added a good hour to what it probably would've been to take our own taxi or transit.

On the way back it was even worse. We were flying out of the nearby Cozumel airport and they wanted us to board their own shuttle service some three and a half hours before our flight. We were departing on two flights... For one of us they eventually let us leave a mere 2 hours prior if we signed a waiver. The other found it easier to just miss the stupid shuttle and get there by taxi.. really, it was a 5 minute ride at best. No need to treat everyone like stupid Americans who don't know how to navigate an airport with a mere 4 gates where they use megaphones as their PA system.

The newer hotel owned by the Palace just across the sea--in Playa--looked a bit nicer, and location-wise, I'd rather be there than Cozumel.

Overall this place is priced like its some high end all inclusive, a mark I think it falls short of.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank dddane
Reviewed March 25, 2009

That is the response you will hear when you ask for anything. Another common response is "Why not?" You will not see any eye rolling or negative body language from the staff at this hotel. "They get so excited when you order a drink" my daughter noticed on the first day. The 24 hour room service that is included is fabulous, and the free calls to the states are wonderful. My massage/ facial was very nice, and the food is very good. The only thing that would would make this hotel better would be a beach.They have sandy areas and you can swim in the ocean, but there is no beach. We went to beaches on the island, and enjoyed our hotel very much. As we were leaving the bartender said "I will miss you." Not as much as we miss him.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank OklahomaGoSooners
Reviewed March 17, 2009

Just back from a week at the Cozumel Palace and had to write a review. I cannot say enough good things about this resort. We are members and have stayed at Aventura Spa and Moon Palace multiple times, thought it was time to try the rest in the chain. After staying at the larger properties, was a bit concerned that we would be bored. NEVER! In fact we found the staff even more personable and charming ( if thats possible) at this smaller property. They take an interest in you; remember what you like and each and every day remind you how happy they are to have you in their beautiful piece of paradise.
The food choices are enough for even the biggest complainer to be happy...the beverage staff is super and the property is immaculate! The rooms are so large and beautiful I kept saying, "I don't think I could afford this room back in the states". The nightly entertainment is ok; Gabrielle and Laura try so hard to give you a good time. The bartenders in the lobby bar are great...pull up a chair and ask them to make you some pretty and tasty shots, you won't be disappointed. Bumble bees are my personal favorite. If you visit this property be sure to see which restaurant Arturo is working; ask him for fried ice cream and mayan coffee. He is a superb waiter, pls tip him generously , he deserves it! Now what we found so much fun was the fact you could walk into town, a left out the door and you're there in no time. I would refrain from shopping in town, barter all you like the best quality and prices are still in the Palace gift shops. Don't take my word for it, compare, you'll see. The island is safe, so rent a jeep online, take a right out of the property and follow to the beautiful beaches on the other side...water too dangerous but beautiful and keep going til you get to Coconuts bar..worth the drive for some fun and great views. On the way back I recommend you spend a few hours at a local's beach Playa Plancar...chairs and cushions free , just tip the waiter. Try the fresh grilled fish in butter and garlic. The water is beautiful here but make sure to bring water shoes...its very rocky til you get out a bit. You will find the most amazing, huge seashells but leave them behind, its part of the beauty. The only negative to this resort is the receptionist in the hair salon...ouch, shes rude! :-) Enjoy, it is worth every penny....

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rrbh
Reviewed March 8, 2009

We just returned from spending 5 nights and 6 days at the Cozumel Palace. We loved every minute of our trip. Although the resort is small and only has 4 restaurants the food at each of them was amazing. The room were very nice with a 2 person jacuzzi in the room and an ocean view from our balcony with a hamock for relaxing, this resort knows what they are doing.
My only complaint was that the housekeeping left a dirty rag in our room one day, but at least the room was cleaned...
We will absolutely be back to this and other palace resorts

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple