“What a fantastic 7 day honeymoon!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #1 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Chicago, Illinois
“What a fantastic 7 day honeymoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. I checked out every place in Riviera Maya and Cozumel for months to see which one would be right for us and I am so happy that we decided on Cozumel Palace. We've traveled all over the U.S but had never been out of the country and it was our honeymoon so we figured now was the time. When you get there they welcome you with an amazing drink and a flower. I have no idea what the drink was but I asked for the alcoholic version the first chance I got, it was delicious.

We used 700 resort credits for a room upgrade since we had a city view room, well worth it! The rooms themselves were nothing short of perfect. They were clean, smelled nice, and filled with lots of goodies. They have awesome amenities like a CHI straightner and hair dryer (with diffuser) and all CHI bath products. We loved using the bubble bath in the giant hot tub. The liquor dispensers are always stocked with a variety of alcohol and the fridge had every soda you could use as well as juice for mixers and what not. And there was always a giant cold bottle of water in there that definitely came in handy for the hot days. The bed was much more than I expected. I'm kind of a bed snob and was thrilled to find that it wasn't cardboard. It had lots of blankets and sheets for whatever you prefer to sleep with. I was also pleasantly surprised that the thermostats in the room actually worked in the room. You could feel it instantly if you turned it up or down. The balcony doors are floor to ceiling so we could open them and get a fantastic view and when the late evenings were cool we laid in the hammock, which was super comfy. I wouldn't have changed anything about the rooms.

After we checked in they asked us to sit down and go over the resort credits and I was really happy this was not a time share pitch. They just tell you that you have to pay the tax on the credits you use and tell you where to go for the honeymoon stuff and excursions. We ended up using the rest of our credits on 3 different excursions to Tulum, Chankanaab, and Swimming with Dolphins (also in Chankanaab park). While they were all really amazing I would definitely have set them up with other companies or gone on my own if we didn't have the credits. They charged way more than necessary and tour groups aren't really our thing. But even still-we paid about 60 bucks total on all three after the credits so its worth it in the end.They all included transportation which can get very pricey if you go on your own and Tulum included lunch at the Playacar Palace which was delicious. We had about 200 credits left but it was enough for only one massage so we chose to just not use them. Since I didn't do any spa stuff I can't speak to that but otherwise the credits are pretty straight forward. I had heard from a lot of people that the chocolate factory tour was well worth it also. Its 85 per person but you can use your credits completely. They give you a chocolate martini to start with and you make your own chocolate at the end which I though sounded neat. Another excursion we missed was the stingray beach which we heard was really cool. My recommendation is that you go to the excursion desk as soon as you get there and plan the stuff out because most stuff is only offered on certain days and times.

The honeymoon dinner would probably be the only downside. They try to make it really nice and they have a good idea for it but it just fell short. We waited too long in between the pre-planned courses and none of the food was as amazing as there usual fare. We ended up leaving before the dessert because it had been 2 hours. I think that was our only sour note in the whole vacation though. You get some other stuff like t-shirts, champagne, and a cake which were all good.

The food was quite possibly my favorite part. The idea of a buffet for most meals scared me because that usually means bland, tasteless, and cold in Chicago. This was anything but those things. We never wanted for food. There is always something open or 24 hour room service. My favorite restaurant was the Italian restaurant called Turquesa. Amazing food. There was not one thing I had off the menu that was bad. The chinese place is pretty good but not a whole lot of selection if you can't eat shellfish so I couldn't try a whole lot of it. The mexican place was really good, they had lots of fresh fish and spicy food. The outside grill was nice for when you were in and out of the pool. They do burgers, fries, salads, etc. The wood burning stove makes all kinds of pizza from 4-10pm too. The breakfast and lunch "buffets" shouldn't even be called that because they are so much more. They have a cook waiting to take your order in the middle that will accommodate just about any request you have. I'm a vegetarian so I thought there wasn't going to be much I could eat but there were plenty of options for every meal. My husband said the meat was always juicy and flavorful as well. I really can't say enough about the food. The liquor was also always good and they went out of their way to accommodate any request. They had much more top shelf liquor then i thought they would also.

We aren't really people that can sit in a pool all day so I'm glad there was so much to do around the island and that we could snorkel right off the resort. There is no beach here so if that's a must have I would recommend Playacar Palace. They had an awesome beach right in the front. We love beaches but we honestly didn't miss the sand. We enjoyed being able to rent the snorkel stuff for free and use it whenever.

One thing I would highly recommend if you are thinking about Cozumel is to rent a scooter and tour the island. It was really safe and there's almost no chance to get lost. The whole island is about 45 miles around and there's one road all the way around. They even have a lane designated for scooters and motorcycles too which made it even safer. We got to see some really breathtaking sights and eat at really good local places. It also was really inexpensive. We paid $30 for the day at a place just outside the resort.

The last thing I would like to say is how wonderful all the people at the resort were. They all spoke English really well and had patience when we tried our hand at Spanish and even taught us a few things. They accommodated every request and were friendly and genuinely nice to us the whole trip. Everyone went out of their way to make you feel welcome and special. We even joined one of the couples contests one night because it looked like so much fun. A special shout out to Gabriel that does the entertainment at night. He was awesome and made even sometimes lame entertainment enjoyable and fun. I had such a blast and would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a balance of resort fun and island adventure.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are loud at night and have a smaller balcony. Also, any of the low numbers (301, 4...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
  • Hebrew first
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We went there for our honeymoon and the second we walked into the resort, we were amazed. They offered us a hot towel, drinks, and a flower to my wife (Before we even checked in!). The food from the restaurants were amazing. I think we only ate out once that whole week. On top of the great service, the man at the front desk was very nice and gave us a free upgrade to the honeymoon package after we told him we just got married. Also, for a foreign country, the city was veryyyy peaceful. The shops are great to visit and everything is along the beach. Also, so many great things to do. They include: snorkeling, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins, zip-lining, having a romantic dinner on the beach, getting a couples' massage, etc!!!

Room Tip: definitely upgrade to something better than City View so you can get a BEAUTIFUL view of the beach w...
Willingboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Overall the Cozumel Palace is a great place to stay. Suggestions include: make reservations for City View room and upon arrival upgrade to Oceanview with use of hotel credits. Generally you will need 600 credits out of the 1500 for the upgrade. Book spa services early as divers tend to need massages after 3-4 days of diving. Nightly entertainment is nothing spectacular. The resort is within a 10 minute walk to the shopping areas if you like being accosted but you can find great deals if the cruise ships are not in. Avoid lower number rooms as they are the furthest from the elevator and be a distance to walk. The rooms were spacious, clean and service was A++. Keep the wristband until you checkout as there is a service fee if not returned. Also be aware of a tax on the room at a rate of 11.00/day and similar tax on spa services. We used the hotel dive service which was ok-nothing to rant about where as Dive House-FLASH- DM was spectacular...briefing and safety concerns were paramount. The resort offered a varied selection of food but remember men must wear long pants when dining inside at the specialty restaurants. Overall, I was pleased with the amenities and services

Room Tip: Stay clear of lower number rooms...mid to upper 20s and 30s give you center view of pool activities...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank veesreview
Indiana, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We decided on Cozumel Palace for our honeymoon for a few reasons, but the $1500 resort credit and the lure of all-inclusive really pulled us in. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. This vacation was amazing! As soon as we arrived at the resort, we were given a cool towel, a (delicious) welcome drink, and a flower. The bellman took our bags to our room for us, and we hardly lifted a finger the rest of the trip. The drinks were all usually pretty good. We had mostly pina coladas, strawberry dacquiris, and some of those delicious welcome drinks with a bit of Malibu added in. :) The staff was amazing. The waiters were really willing to do whatever was needed to please you. Brian at the Italian restaurant made us frozen hot chocolates without knowing what that was beforehand, and our waiter at the grill our last night brought out our favorite dessert from the Italian restaurant for us. I miss that dessert already (the Duetto, just so you know what to order). Our romantic honeymoon dinner wasn't great, but I'm not a "fancy food" person, so it was just kinda lost on me. Dessert almost redeemed it. The pizzas from the brick oven were also really amazing. The best part about the entire trip, though, was the activities staff. Daniel, Roger, Gabriel, Josue, Nube, Manuela, and Paola were all so excellent! They kept us active during the day and helped keep the nights interesting. They were friendly, personable, and knew our names within just a couple of days. Nothing like walking down to the pool and hearing someone yell, "Indiana, come play volleyball!" (They knew our real names, but we were often referred to by our location, which was fun). We played all the contests at night, and they were always looking for us to come join them on stage. We were really sad to go, but I know we'll be headed back in someday!

In terms of excursions with your resort credits, we recommend the chocolate tour. You get to make your own chocolate and taste all sorts of different foods. I feel like it's probably often overlooked, but it shouldn't be. The sting rays were really cool, also.

Room Tip: Any room facing out to the water is good, but try to stay off the first floor.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just came back from Cozumel Palace. Spent a week there with family of 3 people. People there go far and beyond to make you feel welcome. Thank you, Cozumel Palace, for a wonderful vacation.
On a negative side, the beds could be a little bigger, they said it was Queen beds, but I think there were Full size. And the bathroom needs more towel bars. There are a lot of towels, but there is no place to hang them.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Julia35805
Nederland, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our second stay at the Cozumel Palace and it was my third time in Cozumel. We stayed at Palace in 2011, some place different in 2012, and back to Palace in 2013. Although warned in 2011 that not all all-inclusive resorts in Mexico are created equal...I found myself constantly comparing the resort we stayed at in 2012 to Cozumel Palace and let me tell you...it paled in that comparison! Everything at Palace is much better.

I will start with arrival, upon arrival...you are greeted at the door by a bellhop insistent on helping you with your bags (putting a tag on them and locking them away in a closet until your room is ready). You walk into this amazing atmosphere of a sparkling clean lobby with a wonder fragrance and a glass wall so you can see out into the pool and ocean and are handed a wet towel to freshen up your face, neck, and hands with. Ladies are handed a carnation and everyone is given a delicious beverage (they tell you the ingredients for the allergic I suppose) and they take a look at your passports and give you a wrist band. If your room is not ready (ours was not since we arrived at noon) they invite you to grab a drink at the bar and tell you that food is available and to let them know if you'd like a room to change into your swimsuit. Since we had to wait on our room, we went ahead and met with Jorge (he didn't mind meeting with us at the bar so he could present to us and the other couple we were with) and got the sales pitch (he's just doing his job, people). We had used many of our credits for our room upgrade so we didn't have much left but he gave us all of our options and told us to let him know if we needed anything. They really pushed the day trip but not too much pressure. After a margarita (they have an extensive list, or you can make up your own and they will gladly make it) we couldn't stand to just look at the water any longer, we needed to get into our swimsuits and get outside. When we arrived at the pool we were immediately greeted by Jose offering us drinks...I will say that Jose's English was not very good but he was very sweet and attentive.

The room: there's not much I can add that the other reviews haven't covered...the beds are comfortable, the room is clean (and was cleaned to perfection each day), the view was great, they provide Chi products (shampoo, conditioner, lotion, bubble bath, a Chi straightener and blow dryer). The fridge is stocked with juice and sodas. There is one thing I'll mention that I noticed...at the other resort, our room was very 'damp' feeling and in this one it was not. It was very comfortable. The air conditioner worked very well. Our room did smell a little 'musty' upon arrival but nothing alarming. We were on the second floor near the stairs so my only complaint would be the noise when people were coming in for the night but in my opinion, all hotel hallways are noisy...there is absolutely no way to avoid that and somebody has to have the room nearest to the stairs so that's no big deal!
The pool: the pool is clean and there are plenty of chairs for everyone! One person mentioned the lack of shade but I disagree! When we were there last time, there were no canopies over the eating area and there was no canopy near the infinity pool and there were this time. The only day there was not the option for shade was a day that they were setting up for a private event (a wedding reception, I believe). If you couldn't find shade...the waiters were more than willing to go find you an umbrella and place it where you wanted it. The service at the pool was amazing...you literally could be 3 feet away from the swim up bar and they would ask you if you'd like something to drink or eat (I don't even recall any waiters at the other resort). The other waiter at the pool was Francisco who not only asked for our names he also remembered what we liked to drink and one day was walking past as I mentioned to my friend that I was a little hungry so he brought me a pizza menu. You could tell he was a favorite among many. I saw him approach many different guests and shake their hands and hug them...we really liked him, also. There was an afternoon snack offered at the pool every day...a very nice touch!

The breakfast and lunch options: the buffet is available for breakfast and for lunch and it is indoors...I appreciate that. That way you don't have to wrestle bugs for your food. At breakfast they offer grill selections (pancakes, waffles, eggs to order, etc) as well as an array of buffet foods. These were all delicious! For lunch you have the option of going to the indoor buffet again (you must wear a swim suit cover and shoes and men must wear shirts) or you can order from the outdoor grill (you can even do this from the pool and they will bring it to you) which offers all kinds of things from fish, chicken, burgers, even hot dogs. The guacamole here is delicious and my favorite item was chicken quesadillas on corn tortillas.

Dinner options: this resort offers 3 restaurants, brick oven pizza, and an outdoor buffet type service. The restaurants (Italian, Oriental, and Mexican) do not require reservations, for this i was grateful. At the last resort we stayed at if you didn't make reservations for the 'restaurants' you had to eat the buffet. And if you didn't make said reservations far enough in advance, you would not get a table so you would be at the buffet. This time we had the Italian and the Oriental. The Italian place does require men to wear pants, no shorts (and they will enforce it...). The food was good but a bit slow and the night we were there, it was very warm...okay, hot in there. I'm not sure if there was an issue with the AC that day or what but it was too warm for my taste. We tried the oriental place one night because we hadn't tried that on our last trip. The food was delicious. My favorite in the resort. They had a sushi buffet (brave, I know) and we had appetizers, salads, a main course, and dessert...it was all amazing and the server was so kind and asked a lot of questions about our trip. They really make you feel like a friend there. On the last night, we opted for the romantic dinner...we kinda wanted to have the dinner with another couple that was with us but there wasn't room for that, but they did put our tables close together so we could chat. We did learn that they removed the Lobster from the romantic dinner but the price was still the same as last time. The food was good but if we didn't have credits, I wouldn't have spent $150 a head on it. It was a very slow course dinner (we think this is intended so people can visit and enjoy the view, so that's fine). Our waiter was Manuel and he was very funny. The guy heading up all of it was Ricardo (I think). He checked on us multiple times to make sure we were happy. We had steak and fajitas from room service on the other day and as I believe I've mentioned...it was tasty!

We did get the brick oven pizza as a snack and it was good another snack that was raved about was the stuffed jalepenos...they were hot but so good!

Activities...a lot of activities were offered around the pool and we did many. There was floating roulette, bracelet making, water aerobics, salsa lessons (the dance), guacamole lessons (the food), Spanish lessons, volleyball, water basketball, and many more. We took part in the ones we wanted and were invited but not pressured to do any of the ones we didn't care to.

Car rental: this is the only place that we had any sort of negative experience which is the only reason I took a mark away...I really wish i could only take away half because our good experiences were far more remarkable than this one! We rented a jeep that was in great condition and took it to the other side of the island. We paid for a full day but only with the intention of using it that one day for a few hours. When we got up the next day to go fill it up and have it checked in, the streets were closed for some sort of race so we went to speak to the young man who rented it to us (i can't remember his name but he was nice and very smiley) about the fuel deficiency. He said that it would be $35 to fill it up by the resort but he would offer us $25. When we explained that we couldn't get to a fuel station since the streets were closed he said he understood but we had the rental until 2pm however, we were flying out that morning so we wouldn't have time once the streets were opened back up so we ended up paying the $35 for the resort to fill it up. I think we only used 1/8 of a tank but it is what it is...

Special compliments to the following staff members: Gabriel...he lead most of the activities and seemed to work a lot of hours and was always in a good mood. Nube and another young girl and for the life of me, I cannot remember her name but I know she is from Mexico City and went to chef school for a little while were very friendly and fun. There was a young man...I'm going to say his name was Daniel that treated us like we were old friends of his and really seemed to love his job. Everyone at this resort seems to work so hard and they are so happy to accommodate you. You deserve this vacation and treatment so you should book now!

We were not harassed by the sales people, we were given the pitch upon arrival and i was in the shower once when the phone rang and didn't make it. I'm to assume that was a follow up but we weren't pressured. As a matter of fact, we went to Jorge when we wanted a rental and he took us to the services desk and when they told us it would be a bit for a jeep, he immediately got on the phone to find another option.

I love this place...I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a cucumber habanero margarita!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ocean view balconies. 24 hour room service. Liquor dispensers in the room. Warm smiles. No reservations for meals. Decent food for an all inclusive. They even have lots of choices for liquor so you are not stuck drinking the same thing all week. Activities are basically worked in to the price of the room. My husband did two two-tank dives on two different days for about $26 tax (Not a typo). We had massages, went snorkeling and spent a day cruising a jeep around the island. We loved our time there:) The location is really convenient to walk into town and wonder around or run across the street to a local shop for sunscreen or, in our case, cold medicine. This is my third time to Cozumel and my husbands sixth. I think we may have found our new favorite place to stay. I can't wait to come back again. Feel free to ask me questions if you want. I'm happy to answer:)