“Reminds me of Heather Locklear”
Review of Cozumel Palace

Cozumel Palace
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Toronto
“Reminds me of Heather Locklear”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Just like Heather Locklear, the Cozumel Palace can scrub up pretty well, but can also, at times, seem a little past her prime.
But spend a little time and you start to realize why she has so many passionate fans!
Just like life at Melrose Place, life here revolves around the pool. That can be a great thing, but it can also be a bit much. The pool itself is terrific, overlooking the deep turquoise of the Caribbean... with plenty of sun loungers and the usual treat of a well stocked swim up bar.
On the downside, pool activities start shortly after noon and they can go on for hours, loudly.
If big group fun is what you are looking for you will have a blast! The activities here are led with super enthusiasm and genuine warmth by a team that knows how to get everyone involved and to keep the fun times coming. The mood is hyper social, with drinks flowing.
If, like the three of us, you would prefer a quieter and more 'chilled' vibe, the hours of pool partying can become a bit irritating (and pretty impossible to ignore - I ended up abandoning my iPod when it could no longer compete with the blasting music... which, at one point, included putting 'Sweet Home Alabama' on a loop).
To give balance, I have to point out there is one great escape from the pool party just steps, actually just a dive, away... and that's the brilliant and crystal clear waters that lie in front of the resort. You literally just walk down to, or jump into, the sea and start marveling at the vibrant colours of the many tropical fish that are on your doorstep.
The only problem is that you are unlikely to spend all day in this water... the moment you are back on the loungers you better be prepared to join, or at least go along with, the pool party.
If you are in Cozumel to spend your days snorkeling or diving away from the hotel and away from the pool then the noise won't be a problem... and you can relish in what the Cozumel Palace serves up best, and that's five star service... seriously five star.
I cannot stress enough that this is a truly outstanding team, possibly the best I have ever encountered at any hotel or resort. They, alone, could make the visit worthwhile and whoever recruits and holds together this team deserve credit that would make the Four Seasons group envious.
People in all manner of jobs not only remember your name, but also your favorite drink. After a short while and many wide smiles, your drinks just keep flowing, without even being called for... they are always there, asking if you'd like a snack, or if there is anything they can do to please... the attention is sincere and exceedingly gracious ... I definitely understand why many tripadvisor reviewers write about being "treated like royalty".
This team is something to behold... so much so I feel compelled to mention a few names: Wilma, Wendy, Brenda and Caesar, Sylvia, Juan, Gabriel, Angel, Rubi, Francesco and Heri... and, frankly, it's a bit embarrassing since this is a tiny list.. just a few, of the many, who made it a memorable visit... all of them sure to greet any words of thanks with a simple "my pleasure".
Now, in the hope of being helpful.. specifically to help you assess if this is the place for you, here are some other details I personally would have found useful:
The room, we had one of the loft suites... It was spacious with a nice terrace overlooking the kiddie pool (thankfully never used) and the Caribbean blue.
it's over two floors, but open plan (so separate levels, but not separate bedrooms as such ... to get to the front door, you walk right by the 'master' bed, typical in a hotel room, but not what you might expect in a room billed as a "two bedroom suite").
There were two bathrooms, the one downstairs was fine, the one upstairs was a little cramped.. and, be warned, if you are tall like me (6'6) the upstairs ceiling is VERY low (my head basically touched it, kinda like being in a basement).
The location.. the great diving off the front is wonderful, and feels like you are on the ocean on an island (which, of course, you are!)... the 'town' around the main entrance, not so much. the resort lies directly on a busy street, opposite a construction site and there is little of fun (or visual) appeal just steps away. Ten minutes walk and you are in what passes for the main shopping area. But be warned this is no 'Playa Del Carmen', it's a combination of pretty ramshackle restaurants and bars, as well as countless 'tourist tacky' stores and an endless lineup of diamond and jewelry stores, all targeted at Cozumel's apparent main source of income: cruise ships (there were at least three or four in port every day of our visit). For my part, you don't come to Cozumel expecting much from the town. If you go back a few streets from the coast it's pretty downbeat... we were fairly horrified during our cab ride in from the airport... expecting at any point to see chickens wandering the street, tumbleweeds and the odd bedraggled mule! Tell your cab driver to take the the coastal route into town, there's no difference in price, but a huge difference in 'first impressions'.
The food and restaurants... consistently pretty good, and also pretty much a'la carte (buffet breakfasts, and partially buffet lunches).
The best feature (and this is not to be underestimated) you need NO RESERVATIONS! Just wander into any restaurant at any time... Again, service rules here... not 'resort rules', you can even ask them for a dish you liked in a different restaurant from the one in which you are eating ... pretty impressive! Our pick was the outdoor grill, followed by the Italian restaurant.
The evening entertainment... was pretty good, usually some kind of show, followed by an audience participation element ... The entertainment usually started around eight and was over by nine-thirty.. After that, the resort was pretty much quiet... if you want a bit of later nightlife, best to head into town.
The 'resort credit'... it's pretty legitimate, but the choice of how you can use it is somewhat limited (especially the $300 cap on how much you can use in the spa). There are a few tours and activities that make sense, as does the wine upgrade option (although the quoted prices for the wines upgraded are pretty overblown, by my calculation close to twice what you would be paying for the same wine in a US restaurant ... but remember you are only paying 11% of that quoted price, so it's not a bad deal and definitely a much better option than the house wines). One word of warning, to get details about the resort credit you have to meet with a person who explains the 'advantages' of joining one of their special breakfasts to hear about the Palace 'Resort Club'... "It's not a Timeshare" is the reassurance ... but the offers of more spa credits, or use of a jeep for the day suggest the sales tactics are the same and I was a little disappointed to be subjected to this.
In their defense, when we made it clear that we weren't interested in it, that was the last we heard of it.
In summary, I'd say the Cozumel Palace is great for family groups (plenty of kids and quite a number of multi-generational family groups taking advantage of the many activities being offered and encouraged). It's great too for groups of friends, especially if you are looking for a '30s and up' party atmosphere. I'd also say it works for divers who are going to take advantage of the direct access to the reef (via boats leaving from the resorts own pier out front). I am not convinced its the best choice for couples wanting peace and quiet and privacy (unless you are staying in your room) or others who are looking for a but more of a relaxed escape.
Through this review I have been full and frank and honest... My intention is to help you decide if it's what you are looking for in a holiday... but I can't end without giving at least one more plug to the staff... they are truly exceptional and if you want to experience outstanding customer service first hand, then let me encourage you to overlook some of my warnings about 'the pool party afternoons' and take the plunge... Even if its not perfect in every way, I am pretty confident the smiles and warmth and attention of this team will make your holiday here quite wonderful.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank trinations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Hebrew first
Chicago
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had been VIP members for years,but didnt get the room we wanted. Now I know why, you have to request it ahead of time when you make your reservation. I thought , their system automatically does it. So even you paid that for your membership, you wont get it automatically, in other words, we were told that there was no room available with the amenities for the concierge level. Fortunately, we still had to stay in an ocean view but noisy area fronting the restaurant.
The rooms are getting dated. The jacuzzi showed signs of overuse.Checked the glasses in the rooms, still have some fingerprints and lip marks...I think they just wiped them and dry.
Food is average. The oriental restaurant tasted like an american cuisine..They need to get a chef that knows how to cook chow mein and not taste like pasta...The sushi buffett is OK..You will know right away that the sushi were not made authentically. Disappointed with the oriental rest. But the Flamingo rest at night with their grill stuff is sooo good...didnt care much for the italian rest. Long wait that we needed to leave not eating our dessert because we had been waiting and sitting there for so long waiting for our dessert...
The staff are very hard working...recommend them highly...

Room Tip: Dont get any rooms on the first floor...esp across the gift shop..feel sorry for you if you got that...
2 Thank ElenaGV
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was my husband and my first trip to Cozumel Palace. Overall the hotel is excellent. There are some minor annoyances that make is less than 5 starts. Below is what you can expect.

ARRIVAL:
When you get to Cozumel airport, it takes an hour to get your luggage and clear immigration. Outside, you can get a shared shuttle for $9 per person. The island is very safe so you can also walk outside the airport (even though they tell you not to) and flag a taxi. A taxi is about 170 pesos or $15. The hotel is an easy 10-15 minute ride.

On arrival, they will greet you with a welcome drink, towels. Your luggage is immediately taken by a bell hop who will deliver it to your room.

Check in can take a while if you arrive during a busy time. If you have a concierge room, you still have to wait in line (a surprise for us since the website said private check in).

ROOMS and PROPERTY:
We had a concierge room which was very spacious, an extraordinary view of the ocean. We had a hammock and a 2 person jacuzzi (the jacuzzi was very big, comfortable for 2 people). There was a well stocked mini bar and snacks.

The property is small but well laid out and spacious. There were always lounge chairs available, including ones that are inside the pool (in 3 inches of water). There are two areas that are "beach" where loungers are on the sand. The hotel does not have a beach front but there are piers where you can jump off or climb down in the ocean.

The pool is nice and warm with a swim up bar.

The snorkeling is decent (not great) but it's right there and the hotel will give you equipment.

The resort is located a 10 minute walk from the downtown area. Very convenient location to get anywhere on the island.

Minor annoyance--the concierge room was supposed to have upgraded toiletries (l'occtaine)--those were only for the first day. After that, it was regular hotel stuff. Annoying because had I known, I would have brought my regular shampoo.

SERVICE:
We have never experienced nicer staff. Everyone is super nice, goes out of their way to serve you. It takes less than 2 minutes for a waiter to approach you and ask for a drink once you sit down in the lobby, bar area or poolside. At the lunch buffet, they offer to carry your overloaded plate to your table. talk about pampering!! And they don't expect or demand tips. You can tip if you want but they never ask for it or even hint for it.

A few minor annoyances. We had a concierge room and thought that meant we get a private concierge to help book stuff. Not so. the concierge explained how to use our $1500 credit and tried to sell us a timeshare pitch. He was nice when we turned it down. but then he turned us over to the tourism desk to book our tours etc. No advantage to a "private concierge". We also did not get requested late check out (despite the concierge room--yes we know they say it's per availability" but is one hour really so hard to do?).

Also, we requested a particular room that our friends who had been there before recommended. They told us it was not available. During our trip, we ran into the couple who got the room and when we asked them how they got it, they said it was assigned to them. They arrived and departed the same day we did and never requested it. So there was no reason for them not to fulfill our request (and I called them a week before to remind them of our request).

FOOD:
The restaurants are all very good. Breakfast is a buffet and is fantastic. A short order grill will make you crepes, eggs anyway you want (including mexican options), plus different breads, potatoes, fruits, yogurts, cereals etc.

Lunch is also a buffet and usually very good with a variety of different foods.

For dinner there are 4 restaurants, a Mexican, Oriental, Italian and an outdoor place that changes everyday. All four are excellent. However, service is generally slow so plan on a leisurely dinner.

Bar drinks are great and well liquored. And wait staff are constantly asking if you want a drink. Did I already mention that the service is extraordinary?

RESORT CREDIT:
We got $1500 in a resort credit. You do have to pay the 11% tax on the credits. The resort credit is nice but it's limited. You can only spend $300 at the spa. You can buy $100 tequila (which is worth probably what you pay--$10 tax). The rest can be spent on tours but there are only 6 tours that you can take. Dolphins, Stingray, Snorkel, 2 day trips that leave at 6:30 in the morning, or diving. You can only do certain tours on certain days. For example, dolphins are Monday and Sat only. Snorkel is Thursdays only. And they book up fast. So it's actually very difficult to use your resort credit. We were there 6 days and were only able to fit in the Dolphin and stingray. They were both great tours and a good use of our credits.

You can use $40 of credits at the gift shop only if you spend $100 there. you cannot use it at the dive shop (you can only take the boat dive tour). You can spend it on a beauty kit which is $390 and only includes travel size items. I thought it wasn't even worth the $40 tax.

You can also spend it on wine upgrades which are highly inflated. We got a bottle of Lambrusco which is a $10 bottle for $138. I thought the $38 tax was a rip off, especially since I ordered a $65 bottle which they didn't have. The maitre-d recommended the lambrusco as a substitute which I thought would be equivalently priced and was rudely shocked that it was double.

You can also use the credit for a beach romantic dinner. The romantic and beach front part is nice but the food is awful--you get much better food at their regular restaurant.

DIVE SHOP:
The dive operation is ok. We asked for a private refresher lesson and shore dive and were quoted $300 for 2 of us. Down the street another dive operator quoted $160. We ended up doing it in Chankanaab for $90.

We asked to rent gear for a shore dive in front of the hotel and they didn't have tanks for 2 days (said they didn't have enough).

There are plenty of dive operators within a few minutes walk of the hotel. I recommend trying them for equipment rental or get dive quotes if you are not using the hotel credits.

TOURS:
The tour desk offers a variety of tours. Most are priced much higher than if you call the place directly or go into town to buy. The tour desk, concierge, or front desk will not help you book things they don't sell. This is supremely annoying.

THE ISLAND:

Everyone on the island is super nice and helpful and we felt totally safe. We walked out late at night and walked around quite a bit with no fear. The police patrols are very regular and visible. The food and water is also very safe. My husband has a sensitive stomach and not once did he get sick.

There is a lot to do on the island. We were there 6 days and felt we needed 6 more to do everything we wanted to do.

RESORT ACTIVITIES:

The resort has all day activities and a nightly show. The fire show is the best of the nightly shows.

Minor annoyance--we go to bed early and the night time activities continue until 10pm. They are VERY loud and even with the balcony door closed, we could hear it. So, don't expect a quiet evening from 8-10pm.

FAMILIES:

We didn't take our kids but plenty of people do and there is a kids club for ages 4 and up.

OVERALL:

Overall, this is a good property and the value is great (if you get a good deal). Concierge rooms are great but don't expect the traditional concierge services. You go here for the service--which is extraordinary. The staff are very very nice and the rooms are very nice.

Room Tip: If you want to watch the nightly shows from your room, request a room over the pool.
9 Thank TazDevil30
Franklin, Tennessee
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Where do I begin!!!! This is my 3rd stay with Palace Hotels in Mexico but Cozumel Palace wins first place over all others! We have been travelling to Mexico for 10 years and decided to become a member of the Palace Resorts last year. After this stay at the Cozumel Palace.... I know now why we chose this over any other!

Safety: Those of you who hear that Mexico is unsafe... indeed there are part of mexico that you need to stay away from, such as all those near the borders. However, Cozumel is a small island that relies on tourism. We have been to Cozumel 4 times and we never feel uncomfortable.

Resort: What can I say.... from the first day to the last, our stay was like a dream :) The entire staff at the resort were always one step ahead of us. They arranged everything and more. We had only one unfortunate evening for dinner and they surprised my family with a private dinner on the terrace, candles everywhere and one table... for us with our favorite waitress... Brenda! I look... my favorite champagne chilling next to the table. I started crying because that's how special it was to me. Where would you be treated like this? They knew that their restaurant failed us one evening and made it up way beyond what I EVER would have imagined. Rafeal, Danny, Brenda, Ganbriel, entire Staff are to be commended! We also had a wonderful waiter who served us at the pool and knew us by our name and exactly what we wanted ... everday! I am so sorry that I forgot his name....

Not only is the resort wonderful but the snorkeling is fantastic at the resort. No need find a place to snorkel, all equipment is available at the resort. I actually saw a 4' stingray! This was definitely a highlight of our trip.

Shopping is easy since the Cozumel Palace is located 5 minutes from town. Across the street is a store that is like a Walmart in the states... a must! I was able to get a sun had for $5!!!! Food is available too but with the all inclusive, we didn't have to buy any food!

We had a jeep for the day and drove around the island... that too, is a must. The people are so nice and accommodating... if you are one who doesn't like to be approached to buy, then don't go.... I find it actually sad that people are turned off by this, they are trying to make a living and that is all.

I have traveled all over the world and my family considers this island (and resort) the best place to visit.... it's like coming home to an extended family.

Looking for paradise? Cozumel Palace is your place.

Room Tip: Oceanview with balcony
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa W
Dallas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have stayed at this property several times and had a mixed experience this week.
First, the good changes from before: no reservations required at the specialty restaurants, the Chi blow dryer and flatiron in the rooms, and the evening entertainment was better.
On the downside we were assigned a terrible room, which surprized me given we had stayed there several times before. While it was a "junior suite" it was on the first floor in the hall between the lobby and spa and across from the gift shop. It was very loud and we had to put a towel at the bottom of the door to try to block the sound. The room didn't have a balcony and the sidewalk to the pool was outside our sliding door. We were given a myriad of excuses why we couldn't be changed to another room. After requesting a room change three times the first day we were there and two times the second day, we were finally given another room, after having to vacate our first room for six hours for cleaning. We were dismayed to find that the north beach was now only a VIP section and we couldn't sit there even though it was empty. We still had a nice time, but are not sure if we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't accept rooms 114-120.
2 Thank 2Texas_Travellers
Vaughan, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

First off... I would give this resort a 4 star rating overall. There were exceptional qualities, good qualities and only a couple of less than stellar qualities. Let's start from the beginning. We were welcomed warmly with a cool towel and fruity drink. On check-in, we were advised that our reservation was located on the street side of the resort, with no balcony and no jacuzzi. This resort offers $1500 of credits to use in the resort. Using around $800 of these credits, we were able to upgrade our room to seaside with the balcony and upgrade amenities. Of this $800, we had to pay sales tax of 11% or around $100. What we did find out later, however, is that there are virtually no rooms on the street side so this turned out to be an obvious misrepresentation to force the use of these credits. The other credits couldn't really be used, unless you could find a booking in the spa. We ended up using $390 for a 'sample' size box of products that cost us $43. Bottom line, not the deal it seems to be.

Now... as soon as you're checked in, we're partnered with a welcome rep who explains some of the amenities of the resort and the area but goes on describe a trip to a newer resort of theirs, offering free this, free that, but we'd have to sit in on a 'presentation'. Obviously, most people know what that means. She was pleasant enough but the pressure was still there, even when we later told her we weren't interested.

As for the resort. there is no beach. The resort is right on the sea with a fairly large pool facility. Snorkeling is available right from the resort, but only on light winded days (we had 3 black flag days). The rooms, though fairly dated with respect to furniture, are large, with large balconies, decent bathrooms and fully stocked with liquor dispensers. We were only able to get 2 queen beds but beware... their queens are definitely not 'normal' queen size. We were quite tight.... more like a double plus. All the other usual amenities are included like hair dryer and straightener, iron, etc... TV is an older CRT but there are some English channels.

There are 3 restaurants in the resort, Italian, Mexican and Asian. We tried them all. Pretty good selection of food and quite good quality. Found the food at the Asian one much too salty, though, but can't say if it was just that night.

The breakfast and lunch buffet are located in the Italian restaurant. Again, decent selection, good quality with chef on hand to make what you want fresh.

Pool is a decent size with usual swim up bar. Chairs are pretty plentiful but best to go down early to 'reserve' yours with your towel. One thing I found unusual was that there are 'segregated' areas of the pool for 'black band' guests.

Now, as to the service personnel at the resort. I've never experienced more exceptional service. From the time you arrive until the time you leave, you are treated and served with excellence... from the housekeepers to bar servers, to restaurant servers to hosts. I'd give them all a 10+. Too many examples to cite... just know that you'll be taken care of VERY well.

San Miguel is a short 15 minute walk down the street or a 5 minute cab ride. The ferry to Playa del Carmen is a short(ish) 45 minutes with access to another Palace resort (with a beach, and a resort that you can also eat and drink at for free)... and other excursion opportunities of the Riviera Maya. We also rented a Jeep to drive around Cozumel which, with stops, only took about 3 1/2 hours but could take longer if you did more.

Overall, the experience at this resort was very good. I would recommend it to others wanting a similar experience and also realizing the proviso's mentioned above.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GaryFromOntario
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I came here with Family and Friends for our annual warm weather spring trip. We have been doing this for four years now, and overall this was the best experience. The dive operator at the Palace is top-notch, very thorough, and safety minded. The staff at the Palace were above standard. I worked for the Ritz-Carlton in Naples Florida, and the staff here at the Palace reminds me of the experience I had at the Ritz.
I would highly recommend the Palace to anyone going to Cozumel.
The only less-than-exceptional part of the trip was the food. It was very good, just not exceptional.

Room Tip: The low series of room numbers (401, 501) are far from the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family