“Presidente - Still a Nice Place!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Egg Harbor Township, NJ
“Presidente - Still a Nice Place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2004

We visited the Presidente in Cozumel this year from July 3 - July 14 (last year, we were there from June 28 - July 5 - review dated July 7, 2003 lists food prices). It is still a great place to stay, and I'm sure we will return. However, we did run into a few problems this time. The first room we were given, 1502 - 5th floor, tower, superior oceanview, was nice but a bit smaller than we were used to. The view was great. There had been a great deal of rain a few days before we arrived - 12+ inches within a 24 hour period. As a result, it seems that the ants were rushing upward to higher ground! They found higher ground in our room! After realizing that we were getting bitten up at night (aka "ants in the bed!"), we asked to "have the bedding changed." While the message may have made sense to the people at the desk, it must not have translated properly - they moved a bed from another room into our room and placed the same sheets on it! The next day, we went to the desk and asked to have our room changed - they were very accommodating. We requested to be moved down to the gardenview rooms on the bottom floor (last year, we had room 2120, and this year we were 2 doors down in room 2116). Much better! The ants definitely were looking for higher ground, and they didn't find it in our new room! My advice - be very specific in what you ask to have done - they did exactly what I asked for (my mistake)! The other thing we noticed is that the restaurant isn't nearly as good as it was last year. Prices went up on most items by about $3 US (sandwich platters were now $10.50 or so). I think a possible reason for the decline in the meals is that they may have lost their chefs (Arrecife, their gourmet restaurant, has closed down - they are in the process of remodeling to open Alfredo's). If you want fajitas, don't order them in the restaurant - they had no taste and melted mozzarella cheese (I'm not kidding) on top of the chicken! Take a cab to Ernesto's Fajita Factory! We ordered room service a few times - the pizzas are good (about $10). Here is a suggestion of a great place to eat while in Cozumel - Guido's. Without question, it has great Italian food (the minestrone soup was the best I've ever had). We again dove with Careyitos Advanced Divers - the best! Even though we ran into a few problems this time, I'm sure we'll revisit the Presidente on a future trip to Cozumel!

• Stayed July 2004
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (451)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2004

My husband, 13 year old son, and I just returned from Cozumel last night. I can't imagine staying anywhere besides the Presidente after this trip. The property and rooms were spotless, the staff friendly and courteous, and the beaches/snorkling uncrowded. My husband and I have been to Cozumel probably 14 times since 1981; this was my son's 3rd trip in 5 years, and we all agreed this was by far the best place to stay. We had a rental car and made a few trips to the "wild side," town, and Chankanaab, but with the crowds brought in by the cruise ships, it was much more relaxing at El Presidente. The snorkling was definitely better around the hotel. We don't usually spend much time in the pool, but it was hard to resist the pool here at night -- it's heated. The beds were turned down when we returned to our room at night, fresh flowers were placed around the room,... I could go on and on.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2004

I should actually be doing a commercial for the Presidente as to how spoiled we are after staying there for 5 nights in late June. The beautiful grounds, the ocean front room, the excellent service, the cold towels that smelled like licorice (or anisette if you drink) that were served in the pool area were just a small part of our enjoyable experience. It takes a little time to adjust to the exchange rate though. The first nights meal (for eight people) was $2000.00 which caused immediate indigestion until I realized it was in peso's and not US dollars. Good thing, cause I left my Tums in the room. It turned out to be around $175.00 instead. They had a Mexican Band on thursday night which played for around 2 hours while we dined. The kids really enjoyed listening to authentic Mexican music. My oldest daughter requested the Chicken Dance which after she did the dance and briefly chanted the tune, they recognized it (the tune, not the dance) and played it correctly. I should have found out the real name of the song. (I hope they are not offended at our title) The snorkeling at the Presidente is wonderful and just as good (if not better) than at Chankanaab park. Don't get me wrong, the park is wonderful for the dolphin and sea lion programs as well as the botanical garden but if you are just interested in snorkeling, stay at the Presidente. We visited the park on the last day there and did the dolphin encounter thing with the kids. Plenty of pictures and a video are taken by the staff who have them available for purchase immediately after the program ends. These guys have it down pat. I read all of the reviews in tripadvisor four months preceding our vacation. Most of what you see on here is true, the beds are a little hard, the drinks are pretty strong, the food is a little expensive, but nothing can deny the beautiful setting and excellent service you get for the price. I cannot imagine anybody would give this place a bad review after personally witnessing how hard the staff works to make your stay comfortable. Be generous and tip these wonderful hardworking people. After all, it's your vacation and you want it to be perfect.....right?

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2004

We stayed 7 nights (6/16 - 6-/23) and thought it was excellent. The people and the service were just great and sincere. We travelled with our 6 and 1 year sons and they were also treated very well by all the staff. Breakfast buffet was excellent, lunches very reasonable and evening meals at the outdoor restaurant were good and not too expensive. Beach and snorkeling were great - our 6 year old even snorkled out to the sunken barge to see tons of fish. Not crowed by any means, lots of space at pool and beach. no long waits for food or service. We rented kyaks and jet skis from the hotel based Scuba Du for reasonable rates but took our own snorkelling gear. I did the discover dive one day and then a 1 hr dive to nearby Paradise reef the next day both through Scuba Du.

We used the baby sitting service (house keepers) to watch our 1yr old in the afternoons ($10 hr) and have no complaints. My only minor issue was the pool skimmers seemed not to be working well and the pool was not a clean as you might expect.

The best thing is to grab a taxi ($6 and hang on!) and go to town for evening meals. Capi Navigante best seafood and Panchos backyard best Mexican. Carlos and Charlies fun atmosphere but crap food. Mission near the square not worth the price.
Chankanaab was a waste of time and money, we had better snorkelling at our hotel and the sea lion show was too long.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

Stayed in early May for 8 days and found it to be a wonderful hotel, great staff, and friendly place. The extra touches such as the champagne, candles, and quiet setting were very relaxing. The staff was very attentive and my spouse and I got complimentary breakfast each morning. The snorkeling right off the immediate beach was great and frankly you were able to snorkel as far down the beach as you wanted. (Currents get a little tough here and there so caution is advised out of the roped areas.) The island is very nice and people very friendly-we only ate breakfast at the hotel and made a point of eating "off the beaten path" with the local community-very cheaply. Stop by Chedraui for groceries and bakery items if you like to snack. We are planning to return again and stay at the Presidente- the rooms were nice, the staff great (even bringing bottled water to us after one adventure hike as we returned to the hotel), and the setting beautiful. Read all you can on trip advisor from the "pros" who have been there often-that made a huge difference in our visit!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

My husband and I just returned from Cozumel (June 6-13), and wanted to report on the Presidente. We read many reviews prior to our trip and chose the Presidente based on these reviews. To start off with, this is a lovely hotel. The service throughout the hotel was wonderful. We chose not to upgrade our room and had a garden view, first floor room. At first, my husband was concerned about the ground floor, but as it turned out, we had a patio three times the size of the upper balconies. It was great for laying out our wet gear. The rooms are sparse, but who spends time in the rooms anyway. Fortunately, I like hard beds, so the beds were no problem for us. Each day, the maid folded our towels into animals and placed petals over our bed. I would recommend tipping daily, rather than at the end of your stay.

We took advantage of the breakfast buffet rather than go into town for breakfast. The selection was diverse enough that in seven days we did not get bored. We especially enjoyed making our own carrot and beet juice. We skipped lunch since we were diving every day, and went into town for dinner each night. We loved El Moro and Albinos (seafood). Both are local spots without too many tourists.

We chose to dive with a local operator (Eagle Ray) rather than use Scuba Du at the hotel. We did hear good reviews of Scuba Du, but the boats went out pretty full each day. We wanted the flexibility of diving whereever we wanted and not be tied to a specific dive schedule. We opted for our own dive master for two days ($35/day) and were fortunate enough to have a boat and dive master to ourselves for the entire trip. We avoided the crowded areas and had a wonderful diving experience.

The only negative about the resort (yes we did get stuck in the 50 hours of rain) was that there is really nothing else going on. When we were able to get into town at night this was not a problem, but when we were "rained in", it was a little boring. Taxis were not running, and to be honest the town was pretty much flooded. On the bright side, the Presidente did not encounter the flooding problems that occurred at the resorts farther down the strip. We lost power for a few minutes but that was all.

All in all, I would return to this resort anytime, and recommend it to anyone.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Presidente for our Honeymoon from June 14th-June 20th. I booked the hotel and flight through Expedia and got a great deal on the room rate.

The hotel was fantastic. I have a ton of good things to say and only a couple minor negatives. First, the grounds and rooms are beautiful and immaculate. We got to Cozumel the day after a HUGE storm. I think the island got 36 inches of rain in 2 days. The storm closed the airport and caused a lot of flooding. Anyhow, despite all the still standing water all over the island the grounds were totally free of any of it. The only water to be found was in the pool or on the beach! The rest of the grounds were free of any debris from the storm. At night they light tons of candles in the walking areas and on the beach, very romantic! They even clean out he ashtrays and put a little stamp molded logo in them.

My only real complaint involves the 1st room we were given. Our first room was (1120 I think) located in the North "tower" It had a musty, humid smell that didn't really bother us too much at first. The AC was nice and quiet the 1st night but during the 2nd day it started making a clunking noice that steadily got louder and louder, the humidity smell got worse too. I requested a new room from the front desk and they had a new one for us in literally 5 minutes. All we had to do was gather up our bags and a porter brought them to the new room.

The second room we had was #2104 and it was perfect. The front desk said it was the same class as the first but it was definitely a lot bigger. It had the same marble floor, hard bed (wasn't a problem for the wife and I) and other furnishings but it also had a few things the first room was missing. These included a directory of hotel services that we didn't know existed until then and 2 huge beach towels in addition to the 2 we got in the form of pass cards from the fornt desk. I mention the directory because I was a little angry the 1st room didnt have one. It had a ton of info about the hotel and the services they provide. Of interest to me was the fact that hotel does NOT use the same voltage as we do in the US. A regulator is necessary (from the front desk). This wasn't a problem but it would have been if I tried to plug in our new video camera and fried it without knowing any better. Other than those minor details the rooms were very nice, furniture, fixtures and appliances were in good repair and very clean. I could care less about the decorations in the room, we were on vacation. There are 3 candle holders that light up the room perfectly and add a little romance. Housekeeping, like EVERY other service there, was amazing. New towels animals on the bed every day, fresh flowers. We ordered room service one afternoon but didn't call to have it cleaned up when we were done. We left to go into town (an easy $5 taxi ride, stay away from the scooters) and when we came back they had come in, gotten the tray and dishes, cleaned up and turned the bed down. They truly know the meaning of service.

The hotel pool was just the right size and never corwded. We never had to fight for a chair or play the reservation game with lounge chairs. The beach is also beautiful, there was always someone grooming the sand and serving drinks. There was always an open palapa to be found. Niether my wife or I are divers but we both snorkeled at the hotel a lot. Scuba Du seemed very friendly and snorkeling gear was only $10 each for the whole day.

As far as food in concerned I found it overall very good, not excellent but close. An awesome breakfast buffet was free every morning and was an unexpected surprise. They had omelettes made to order, mexican specialties, cereal, fresh squeezed juices, tons of pastries and traditional breakfast stuff like french toast, bacon etc. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning. The poolside and beach service we also great if not a little pricey. I suggest the tortilla chips and guacamole for about $7 US. We ate several other meals at the hotel mostly because we were too exhausted by all the tours and excursions to go anywhere else. The fajitas are great but my wife wasn't too crazy about the spinach stuffed chicken. A note about dairy products. I live in the heart of dairyland USA. Mexico does not have nearly the supply of good milk and cheese we do anywhere in the USA. Butter especially was different, definitely edible just not the same. Cheese was usally goat cheese I suspect, tastes good but I really missed good ol' cheddar.

There are several other great restaurants in town. The only one I would steer clear of is La Case de Mission. Taxi drivers and most tour vendors must get a fee for bringing people in there. I would call the food average at best. I was definitely NOT worth the $60 US we paid. My wife had king crab legs that she said were great but I was not happy with the Mexican sampler plate I got. Bones in the lime soup and soft taco and a nasty corn tortilla thing that was incredibly dry.

I recommend La Choza, excellent dipping sauce for chips and the chile relleno was great. We also ate at La Prima which I though was excellent. I had surf and turf (filet mignon and lobster tail) and my wife had their lasagna. The lime tart was to die for! They also have a good wine list and lots of free bread with olive oil drizzled on. The meal, drinks and desert at La Prima cost less than the entrees alone at La Casa de Mission. By far the best meal we had was at Mezcalitos Bar on the East side of the island. We rented a VW Bug for about $50 a day and drove around the southern tip of the island, looking at beaches and visiting ruins. Mezcalitos was one of our last stops. We each had the taco special and I don't exaggerate when I say they they were the best tacos I had ever tatsed. Warm tortillas, perfectly seasoned beef or chicken, crisp lettuce and diced onion topped with an avocado slice, tomatoes and a slice of lime. I'm hungry thinking about them now. The whole meal with drinks was $20 I think.

The excursions we signed up for were great, an Expedia representative met us at the hotel on the 1st night and we signed up right there. We took the ATV tour through Wild Tours. The ride is very bumpy and dusty but a ton of fun. We stopped at a secluded beach, got on sea kayaks and paddled out to a snorkeling area that was gorgeous. Our guide Jorge was hilarious. The other tour we took was a horseback trip to a small ruin site called El Cedral. I would save your money and stick to the island's main ruins at San Gervasio.

Overall our honeymoon was fantastic. I highly recommend this hotel and Cozumel in general as a vacation spot. I hope to go back soon.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member