“Its get better every time”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have been comming to this hotel for years. It is a oerfect little hotel because although is very extended is like your own private paradise. It has everything you need to enjoy a family or romantic or friends trip. I think they have the best scuba team in the area.
Ok so the food not always is the best but its almost there. If you keepmit simple you wont loose.

Room Tip: I love the beach front rooms but my favorites are the reef suites.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest,

We really apreciated every single word you wrote on your comments, thank you very much for doing it and hopefully, we can have you back very soon.

To this, "su casa" in Cozumel island.

There are newer reviews for Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We really had high hopes for this hotel. Our family occupied two rooms for a one week period. But it really was a mixed experience:

Pros:
This is a very large hotel with some nice amenities. The rooms are large and fairly comfortable. The dive shop (Scuba Du) was great.

Cons:
The entire hotel has an "open air" concept. Which means that if you are walking from your room to the front desk... or the restaurant ... you are essentially outdoors. There are covered walkways, but during periods of intense rain (as we had during our stay), expect to get soaked going from your room to anywhere else.

There is only one restaurant, and the menu items are very overpriced. A breakfast consisting of toast and coffee cost $15 per person.

Speaking of rain ... both of our rooms leaked terribly after one big rainfall. Our entire floor was soaked. We called the front desk, but nothing was done until after we called a second time (one hour later).

Upon our arrival, as we were checking in, a woman named "Claudia" stood directly behind us and said she was there to "give us a tour of the hotel." We thought she was the concierge. Wrong! She was with "The Club at Presidente Intercontinental" ... essentially the time-share condo part of the hotel. And when we turned down her "offer for a tour", they pestered us again the next day. This was completely unacceptable.

During the course of our trip, we took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, and we were struck by the beautiful beaches and the gorgeous hotels. During our next trip to the Caribbean, we will likely stay there, instead of the Presidente Intercontinental.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank space_mom2010
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Warm Greetings from Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort & Spa!

We would like to thank you for taking your time and share your comments, believe me your feedback is really appreciated, we have taken notes of your pleasant recommendations.

We are really sorry for not meeting your expectations; although we never want to know that one of our guest does not has had good experience, comments such as yours allow us to take an honest look at our operations and make necessary improvements.

We will be very please if you allow us to serve you once again in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We enjoyed our first trip to this hotel (2008) so much we decided to visit again for our 5th yr anniversary. It was even better than we remembered! The service is exceptional and the staff truly goes above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. We selected an ocean front room and it was the best decision! Walk right onto the beach, 10 steps from pool and main restaurant. The snorkelling off the beach was so good we didn't feel the need to spend extra money on an excursion. The rooms are not the least expensive in Cozumel, however you will not be disappointed with them. If you want to save a few bucks swing by the MEGA (grocery store) in town and pick up beverages and snacks. We are already planning our next trip and will possibly bring our 3 yr old son. While the hotel is high end, it is also great for families.

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you, we appreciate your comments about your recent stay in our resort, It was a pleasure to serve you.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your room, the hotel beach and the friendliness of our staff.

We hope you visit us once again in the near future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at Presidente several times over the years and have not been disappointed. The food, service, atmosphere, everything is always wonderful. I enjoy the breakfast buffet that serves until noon. There are currently adding a club for night entertainment and I hope to enjoy that on my next stay. They had a club many years ago and for some reason got rid of it. We had fun at the time. As far as I am concerned Presidente is the best place in Cozumel to stay at. Second after that I choose La Ceiba. I do have to say that this time, Cozumel was very quiet. Every year during the summer, the tourists just aren't visiting Cozumel. I guess everyone goes in the winter.

Room Tip: I prefer rooms numbered 1100-1107. These rooms have a beach/ocean room and are ground level. I lov...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank April G

Dear Guest,

We certainly appreciate your comments about your recent stay at El Presidente, It was a real pleasure to serve you.

Hopefully you we can see you once again very soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Everything was outstanding! We are only sorry it took us so long to return.
The staff, the service, the facilities were outstanding. There is nothing the staff will not do to accommodate your needs and desires.

• Stayed: June 2013
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

To this, "su casa" in Cozumel island.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

When we planned our trip to Cancun we, cannily I thought, booked for four nights at the Presidente Intercontinental and four at the comparatively new Cozumel Palace. During our time at the Presidente, we were not that happy about the service at the breakfast, the high prices of the food, and the feeling of being nickel and dined for everything. In four days not a single free drink or appetizer. Our final bill had a one dollar charge for a local call that was supposed to be free. The front desk had to consult with a manager over even a one dollar charge on a bill in the hundreds of dollars. We had booked a room through Orbitz in February and it was for an ocean view room with balcony. When we got there they tried to put us in a ground floor room which had a view blocked by both the lunch hut and the scuba diving hut. I complained and was told that beach view was not ocean view. Beach view, apparently, was better. There was no higher option on Orbitz tham ocean view when we booked, so I was not aware of any distinction. For management to make such a distinction seems very petty, especially when we learned of the very low occupancy rate of the hotel. We read 30% somewhere. It seemed even lower since we kept running into the same sets of people around the hotel, a lovely honeymooning couple from St Louis and a family of six fromTexas, for example. The pool was often practically empty. The place felt like a ghost town at times, although as at most resorts things got busier by the weekend.

Having stayed at the resort before, we already knew there were much, much nicer ocean view rooms and they did ultimately give us one. I only had to get nasty for about five minutes with the front desk people.

One of our other peeves with the place was the presence of only one restaurant, that being outdoors. It was buggy in this season and very humid at times. On the other hand, it was a gorgeous place covered by an enormous palapa with beautiful ocean views. The beach was lovely and the amount of shoreline occupied by the hotel is unparalleled in Cozumel. There is an abundance of palapas, so many that you wouldn't think of reserving one. They provide nice shade and there are plenty of areas to just chill and enjoy a book and not fry in the sun.

The food that we had was delicious. We stuck with lots of shrimp dishes, tacos, fajitas and things like that. The prices are indeed annoying. $7 for a child's hot dog. Every drink 120 pesos. But when we checked out we found we had spent about $100 per day, about what we shoot for on a vacation for the three of us, even with treating ourselves to the breakfast buffet every day. (There is a discounted meal plan for this that they don't tell anyone about). $19 a head instead of $25, and they threw in our daughter's meal for free.

We tried one evening to eat downtown to economize. Although there was nothing wrong with the place we went (CASA Mision) it wasn't cheap either and with the cab fare of $8 or $9 each way, it wasn't really a savings. Far more relaxing to shower after our swims and just go down to the giant palapa for dinner. We wound up eating all the rest of all our meals at the hotel. By the way, the wait staff at dinner seems much more attentive than the people in the morning for some reason.

It was funny because just as we were getting ready to go to our new hotel, and anticipating the all inclusive meals we would be getting and the wall to wall ice cream and cappuccinos at the Palace, the Intercon won us over with their Fourth of July evening buffet complete with red white and blue balloons. They had prepared all the American special dishes like hamburgers , ribs, delicious shrimp salad but few diners appeared. They had not publicized it at all and had my daughter not insisted that we eat at the hotel so that she could see her favorite hotel pets again, we would have missed it completely. I felt bad they had gone to so much trouble and not many Americans, or people in general, were present. So our feelings toward the hotel softened in general. I began to wonder if we would miss the hotel's magnificent shoreline and scenic grandeur once we left, because I knew that the Palace, though luxurious, would not have these.

By this time my seven year old daughter had three pelicans as her "pets". She had named them Galileo and Rufus, after pelicans in the movies Nim's Island and Dolphin Tale. The third was Truffles, a name of uncertain origin. She had to check in with them several times a day. She befriended 20 or so crabs, named them all too and delighted in watching them walk sideways clamber about the rocks. We found two gorgeous shells while snorkeling that we could take home. We saw an amazing variety of fish while snorkeling close to shore. We fed the iguanas who live in their comfortable iguana house and the staff kindly gave us fruit for this. We found multiple hermit crabs and befriended a kitty called Barbie that lives in the restaurant and takes her daily naps on various seats there.

We had one very rainy day (the staff was great at providing giant umbrellas for us to walk to breakfast) but we enjoyed ourselves watching the storms from the security of our balcony, although we did bemoan the lack of any planned activities for the kids during this kind of downtime. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to come up with a few activities. All we saw was pottery by the pool, for which they wanted cash on the barrel in pretty large sums. Again, this should have been included in the room rate given the prices they are charging.

Anyway, we arrived at the Palace today. The luxury is much greater here, although some of the promises are empty. The resort credit they give you can only be used for certain things. For example they offer only one snorkel trip a week. That seems intentionally meager. The promised pillow choices did not materialize, they are simply out of the water pillows we chose. We have a DVD player and a fancy whirlpool in the room. The two meals we have had were amazing, especially dinner at the Italian restaurant. You can order as much as you want. Service is much more attentive here. The ambience is newer and younger. There is nightly entertainment. We have fancy L'Occitane toiletries.

But the place has a crowded, nightclubby feel which I don't find relaxing at all. The pool areas are tiny given the number of people and very hot. There is no shade other than a very few umbrellas that I am sure will be very hard to get in the morning. Out of two pools, one is almost completely occupied by an all day volleyball game and the other is really a very shallow baby pool. Plus, I don't at all Ike the atmosphere for children. There are women in the pool smoking cigarettes (where do the ashes go?) and loud talking and hostile drunks at the swim up bar who don't care what type of language they use around the younger set. Large trays of Jell-O shots were being delivered at the pool as we bathed. Given the small size of the facilities, it will not be easy to put distance between your kids and these vulgar people.

Yes, even given some of the annoyances we encountered at the Intercon, I wanted to leave immediately and go back there. I am homesick for the pelicans and the views. I guess this experience (A Tale of Two Hotels?) crystallizes in my mind what a vacation, at least a family one, is all about. Is it about the number of free cappuccinos and ice creams you can stow away in your gullet or the whirlpool in your room or the free massages you can get? No. It's about watching a gorgeous shoreline at sunset while the dusky ocean gradually fades to black, even if you do get a couple of mosquito bites in the process. It's about having your child christen the pelicans and try to feed them scraps of bread (which I don't think they really eat), throw fruit to a tribe of iguanas, make friends with a beautiful white, very self-possessed cat and swing in a balcony hammock swing, in short pretend that she is another Nim on her own private island.

I now feel stupid that I picked this snazzy Palace resort for the second half of our stay. Although my child is interested in the nightly entertainment here and the free swim with the stingrays trip we will get with our resort credit. It looks like we are stuck here since I booked through Orbitz and our cancellation deadline has passed. And when I look again at the rates at the Intercon, they are much, much higher that what we had previously booked. When i spoke to other guests at the Intercon they were paying much more than we were as well. It seems incomprehensible given the 30% occupancy rate. The Palace has a 100% occupancy rate! The people at the Palace are clearly trying very very hard, particularly the wait staff and cooks, and they are obviously succeeding. The take it or leave it attitude at the Intercon seems almost like that of a government run enterprise. They don't seem to care much about making money.

It is all a bit puzzling but my advice would be to book early at the Intercon and look for the best deal they have to offer. And when you stay there, just order what you want, enjoy yourself and don't worry too much about the price. Take a book and sit for a while with a drink in the couches under the palapa. Make friends with Omar at the lunch hut. Definitely try the shrimp tacos (not big enough to share) and the shrimp fajitas (big enough to share). Swing on your balcony. Don't forget to feed the iguanas some fruit from breakfast. And please say hi to the pelicans Rufus, Galileo and Truffles for us. We miss them already!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Letitia A

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your recent stay at our Resort. We apreciate your kind words about our premises and our staff services, your feedback help us very much to keep working and make our best in order to create a great experiences that our guest can rembember for long time.

Hopefully we will see you back again very soon at this “su casa” in Cozumel and celebrate togheter your fifth visit.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We've stayed at several of the nicer hotels in Cozumel, but the Presidente is a favorite. The crowd it attracts is not the rowdy party animals. We like the reef rooms facing the snorkeling area. It's great after a 2 tank dive to have lunch in their lovely (if expensive) restaurant, then have a late afternoon snorkel just outside the door. I'm one of those people who gets eaten alive by Mosquitos, but I have not had a problem with that here. However, I have used a little DEET spray as a preventative measure. They provide you some organic bug spray, but if you're serious about not getting bit, bring your own DEET. Anyway so far, no bites. I should warn you that rooms 2117, 2119 and 2121 look out on the snack shack and scuba business, so you see a lot of people and not a lot of water in those rooms. Still all the rooms are nice and diver friendly. I love the hallways in the north half of the building, which are an interesting mix of an indoor feel with mature outdoor landscaping. I suppose the stonework seems a bit dated throughout the property, but in a way I like it because it reminds me of a Mayan temple and seems to fit well with the natural landscape. The tv and other modern amenities seem totally up to date, and the housekeeping is impeccable. I eagerly await the completion of the new restaurant and bar.

Room Tip: The reef rooms are expensive but are a little piece of paradise.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank divefan

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your visit and for taking the time and share the experience you had at our Resort. I am sharing as well your kind comments about our service with all the team.

Hopefully we can have you back at your home away from home in a near future.