“Pinch yourself...this REALLY is paradise!”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Pinch yourself...this REALLY is paradise!”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I've just returned from escorting a group to the Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Resort and Spa, and I can say that the resort exceeds expectations on so many levels. I've traveled to many Mexican resorts, Caribbean resorts, and beach resorts within the United States. For the location, amenities, vibe, and activities, Presidente has just been bumped up to the top of my list of favorite beach resorts. Here are some of the reasons.

1) Location. Just below the azure blue waters surrounding the resort are some of the world's most spectacular reefs. From experienced scuba divers to novice snorkelers, everyone is just steps off the shore to a fantastic dive experience. The beach is wide and since this is not a sprawling resort, there are plenty of chairs and palapas to go around, so that you aren't competing for beach space. Waiters gladly take your drink orders whether you are lounging in the sun or in the magnificent open-air palapa restaurant - Carbenos. And come sunset, you've never seen a more beautiful ending to your relaxing day!

2) Amenities. Tennis courts, a work-out facility, a pool, are standard amenities at most resorts. This one adds a scuba center right on the beach, a tour desk, a car rental desk, and two restaurants. But this resort is all about relaxing and enjoying the water. If it's high energy you're looking for, hop in a cab ($10 USD) and take the short trip into Cozumel to get your bar-hopping fix. Or you can take the ferry ($14 or so) to Playa del Carmen. The ease in getting to these towns to shop or club makes it all the more appealing to head back to the resort to relax and unwind. In your room you will find Elemis toiletries, a large-head rain shower, and the most comfortable beds I've slept on in any hotel or resort!

3) Vibe. The people on Cozumel, and particularly at this resort, are some of the most genuine and lovely people you will ever find in your travels. At the Presidente, their spirit shines through, providing exceptional service and care. This resort is definitely relaxed, but not sleepy. Service was the staff's priority, making the guest feel welcome and important. I was also struck by the safety. One of my fellow travelers had left a backpack in the restaurant during breakfast. The backpack contained his wallet, identification, and a camera. Before he even noticed he'd left it, a staff member had returned it to the front desk for the guest to claim. And in my case, I was hurrying one evening to make it to an event, inadvertently leaving all of my cash and personal electronics in clear view of the turn-down staff. When I came back to my room later in the evening, all was just as I had left it....except the staff had left a towel sculpture and laid out my robe and slippers!

4) Activities. The scuba and snorkeling offerings are perfect for any level of diver. But there's more to do on Cozumel than you probably have time for! Taking a jeep tour around the island, visiting nearby Mayan ruins, jet skiing at the resort, taking a sunset sail on a catamaran and visiting a tequila factory are just some of the activities available in the area. Whether you want to stay on the move and see all there is to see in Cozumel or simply relax and unwind at the resort, the Presidente is the perfect base. And for a family gathering, corporate retreat, or destination wedding, all of your guests will find what they are looking for in a vacation.

This resort is not an all-inclusive, but with so much to do in Cozumel, you're not paying for the food you don't eat at the resort. It is also an older property, and you may be able to see a bit of wear from defying hurricanes over the years. But the Presidente stands presently as my favorite beach resort, and I will return to relax, recharge, and unwind at my first opportunity! Thanks to all of the wonderful staff who make this beautiful spot on earth the warm and welcoming place it is.

Room Tip: The Reef suites are more private than the other suites, fronting a gorgeous beach. The beachfront s...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your so detail comment about our staff and Resort. We are very pleased to know you had a wonderful time.

I look forward to see you time and again very soon.

Henry Walther

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Hebrew first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week and absolutely fell in love with this place. The service was always exceptional, the staff very friendly, and good food from their restaurants. Only a $10 taxi ride into town as well. We both did a few days diving with Scuba Du (onsite dive company) and it worked out perfectly as you leave right from the hotel. You can even do as many shore dives (complimentary) as you want from the hotel on days you go out in the mornings with Scuba Du.

In the end, it turned into a place where we can see ourselves wanting to come back to every year.

1 Thank Trav_Abr0ad
Dear Guest,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to write a comment about your recent stay, your kind words about our staff and resort, make us very proud.

Hopefully we can have you back very soon.

FORT DODGE IOWA
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I have met my brother and his wife at the Presendente for the past 15 years or so, with the one exception being the year after Wilma. We return every year because the hotel is just great. The staff are incredible, the service always exceeds expectations, and Scuba Du, the on site dive operator, provides the best and safest dive experience you could ask for. The hotel grounds are lush, well maintained, and give you the feeling that you are truly in the tropics. We plan to return to Cozumel next year and will again be staying at the Presendente and diving with Scuba Du.

Room Tip: We enjoy the pool view rooms that have patios facing the adult pool. The patios are large, the pool...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at our Resort. Our goal is to always exceed our guest expectations and we want to thank you for taking the time to share your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at this your home away from home. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality to your family.

West Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Cozumel and our first of hopefully more at El Presidente. The staff were so helpful, friendly and all spoke very good English and helped us learn a few Mayan words as well. We went deep sea fishing and caught a Mahi Mahi that the chef cooked up for us that evening. It was probably the best fish we ever had. We stayed in a beach front superior room and were able to walk just feet to the beach and snack bar. The room has a patio where we chose to have breakfast almost every day. For anyone looking for a quality hotel, I would highly recommend El Presidente.

Room Tip: Spend extra for a beach front superior room.
1 Thank Cindy W
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our Resort. I much appreciated, that you had a wonderful time with us. We are always looking to meet our invaluable guest expectations.

I looking forward to see you in a near future.

Annapolis, Maryland, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have been to Cozumel five times over the past 25 years and each time stayed at the beautiful Hotel Intercontinental Presidente. It is by far the best hotel on the island and an incredible property, right next to reefs for snorkeling, an expansive and private beach with gorgeous views, rooms that are spacious and extremely comfortable, staff that are courteous and attentive to your every need, and dining and snorkeling/diving facilities that make this five star property a special experience. I highly recommend visiting Cozumel and staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, you cannot go wrong with either ocean front of beach view, If you w...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mary I
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Resort. We are very please to know you have had a memorable stay with us and this make us feel very proud about the work we are been doing to taking care of our valuable guest, like you are for us.

I am sharing your nice comments with all my staff and hopefully we can welcome you time and again in a near future.

NYC
Reviewed February 16, 2012

My son, a high school sophomore on spring break, and I had a father/son diving trip to Cozumel while my wife stayed home with daughters (asynchronous school breaks). Presidente is a great hotel – very well made and well kept – but it was almost deserted, maybe 15% full. Which can be good thing – no crowds, no need for touristy small talk, and very attentive service were bonuses, but the restaurant was a bit too quiet. However in no way did this reduce service, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in every way, even meeting me with a cool hand towel and water when I returned from my run each morning. The rooms are spacious and fully satisfactory. We stayed in a “poolside” room rather than paying another $50USD / night for ocean view, but the room did not actually look at the pool, but rather at a very relaxing greenbelt and the jungle beyond, so we liked it better, very private. Breakfast (buffet included in our rate) was great and the meals we took at the hotel were also very good. One tip – just ask for glasses of water rather than buying the bottles. Another tip – hotel charges $25 USD per person for a van shuttle to / from airport, which is great if you need to make stops along the way but unnecessary if it’s a straight run as a taxi is 150 pesos total for two. And another tip – when you come in from the airport, stop at a major market and load up on beer, limes, chips and cookies – with the hotel so empty, I preferred a beer on my own veranda, and my son would inhale cookies after each dive to replenish blood sugar. The hotel is not cheap - far from it, and there are plenty of more economical hotels in town, but we liked being remote and private and seeing more iguanas than other guests.
We did 3 days of diving – 9 tanks in total- with Scuba Du and they were also great. Staff was friendly, clearly highly experienced, and communicated well. Ratio was good, rarely more than 6 to a dive master. I have dove on and off for 20 years, while my son was only recently certified, but this was the first drift diving experience for both of us. So rather than following the dive master, you tend to float along in a group. However some of the dives had spectacular swim-through caves and pinnacles, and the dive master did a good job of taking the group through those. No one had any real problems so we did not see how well they handled an urgent issue, but it always felt very safe. Unfort the more popular dive sites like Palacar had the opposite problem of the Presidente - crowded, lots of dive boats, and you usually could see another group somewhere under water. But this did not cause any real traffic jams, we still felt comfortable. The underwater scenery is amazing and somewhat different. I have dove around the world and have seen many spectacular reefs. Bu this reminded me of the Disneyland submarine ride where the corals and shellfish look too fake, just pained onto the rock. But turns out Disney was just copying Cozumel because that is how the rocks look here – a riot of color painted or adhered onto the spires and crags. Very beautiful and it surrounds you. No mermaids. But lots of nurse and reef sharks, turtles, eagle rays, giant lobsters and a zillion fish. Three days was enough – felt like we had seen the full range. But will come back with rest of family. The request for tips for the crew on on day one was a bit heavy handed, but a more graceful "ask" the following days, and I generally gave 100 pesos per trip before they even asked, which is not a lot of money but not everyone tips. However quite a few divers stayed at less expesive hotels in town so you do not need to stay at Presidente, but it is very convenient and they will make sure you do not miss the boat.
Highly recommended. Tolman Geffs, Greenwich CT.

Room Tip: See my review - no need to pay up for ocean view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for write a comment about you recent stay at our Resort InterContinental Cozumel, we feel very please to meet your expectations on our services as well as on our facilites.

I would like to remind you, joining to the InterContinental Ambassador program at the moment to check in at the hotel, will be worth it, to up grade your room accomodations, for higher level of comfort.

Regarding your scuba dive experience, I am sharing your comments with Scuba Du dive shop.

I look forward to see you in a near future.

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I just spent 5 days at this hotel. We enjoyed a beach front room that had a spectacular view. We had been in Playa for 10 days and were looking for a spot in Cozumel for our last 5 days. The hotel is very quiet with a beautiful private beach. The reef out front of the hotel is the best I've ever snorkled, no need to book an excursion! The restaurant serves excellent food with a spectacular view. The hotel is not all inclusive and can get pricy, we ate out most days in town but did enjoy a few meals at the hotel. The only complaint we had was that the hotel was over half empty but they put people beside and on top of us. The walls are paper thin, we didnt understand why an empty hotel wouldn't put space between its guests. Overall a wonderful vacation spot, we would stay here again. Highly recommend for honeymooners and couples.

Room Tip: Upgrade to beach front, the view every morning is well worth it!
1 Thank BCShel
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your time to write a comment about our resort. We are very pleased that you mention us as a wonderful romantic place.

We firmly believe we have the task to all our guests, is to create unforgettable experiences.

I am also sharing your comments with my Front Desk area people to work at the points where we must.

Thank you again and I look forward welcome you very soon.