“Great hotel and base for scuba diving”

Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a week and absolutely fell in love with this place. The service was always exceptional, the staff very friendly, and good food from their restaurants. Only a $10 taxi ride into town as well. We both did a few days diving with Scuba Du (onsite dive company) and it worked out perfectly as you leave right from the hotel. You can even do as many shore dives (complimentary) as you want from the hotel on days you go out in the mornings with Scuba Du.

In the end, it turned into a place where we can see ourselves wanting to come back to every year.

1  Thank Trav_Abr0ad
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you indeed for taking the time to write a comment about your recent stay, your kind words about our staff and resort, make us very proud.

Hopefully we can have you back very soon.

Henry Walther

Write a ReviewReviews (1,797)

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My wife and I have met my brother and his wife at the Presendente for the past 15 years or so, with the one exception being the year after Wilma. We return every year because the hotel is just great. The staff are incredible, the service always exceeds expectations, and Scuba Du, the on site dive operator, provides the best and safest dive experience you could ask for. The hotel grounds are lush, well maintained, and give you the feeling that you are truly in the tropics. We plan to return to Cozumel next year and will again be staying at the Presendente and diving with Scuba Du.

Room Tip: We enjoy the pool view rooms that have patios facing the adult pool. The patios are large, the pool...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that you had a great experience at our Resort. Our goal is to always exceed our guest expectations and we want to thank you for taking the time to share your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon at this your home away from home. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious hospitality to your family.

Reviewed February 19, 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Cozumel and our first of hopefully more at El Presidente. The staff were so helpful, friendly and all spoke very good English and helped us learn a few Mayan words as well. We went deep sea fishing and caught a Mahi Mahi that the chef cooked up for us that evening. It was probably the best fish we ever had. We stayed in a beach front superior room and were able to walk just feet to the beach and snack bar. The room has a patio where we chose to have breakfast almost every day. For anyone looking for a quality hotel, I would highly recommend El Presidente.

Room Tip: Spend extra for a beach front superior room.
1  Thank Cindy W
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our Resort. I much appreciated, that you had a wonderful time with us. We are always looking to meet our invaluable guest expectations.

I looking forward to see you in a near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have been to Cozumel five times over the past 25 years and each time stayed at the beautiful Hotel Intercontinental Presidente. It is by far the best hotel on the island and an incredible property, right next to reefs for snorkeling, an expansive and private beach with gorgeous views, rooms that are spacious and extremely comfortable, staff that are courteous and attentive to your every need, and dining and snorkeling/diving facilities that make this five star property a special experience. I highly recommend visiting Cozumel and staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view, you cannot go wrong with either ocean front of beach view, If you w...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary I
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our Resort. We are very please to know you have had a memorable stay with us and this make us feel very proud about the work we are been doing to taking care of our valuable guest, like you are for us.

I am sharing your nice comments with all my staff and hopefully we can welcome you time and again in a near future.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

My son, a high school sophomore on spring break, and I had a father/son diving trip to Cozumel while my wife stayed home with daughters (asynchronous school breaks). Presidente is a great hotel – very well made and well kept – but it was almost deserted, maybe 15% full. Which can be good thing – no crowds, no need for touristy small talk, and very attentive service were bonuses, but the restaurant was a bit too quiet. However in no way did this reduce service, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in every way, even meeting me with a cool hand towel and water when I returned from my run each morning. The rooms are spacious and fully satisfactory. We stayed in a “poolside” room rather than paying another $50USD / night for ocean view, but the room did not actually look at the pool, but rather at a very relaxing greenbelt and the jungle beyond, so we liked it better, very private. Breakfast (buffet included in our rate) was great and the meals we took at the hotel were also very good. One tip – just ask for glasses of water rather than buying the bottles. Another tip – hotel charges $25 USD per person for a van shuttle to / from airport, which is great if you need to make stops along the way but unnecessary if it’s a straight run as a taxi is 150 pesos total for two. And another tip – when you come in from the airport, stop at a major market and load up on beer, limes, chips and cookies – with the hotel so empty, I preferred a beer on my own veranda, and my son would inhale cookies after each dive to replenish blood sugar. The hotel is not cheap - far from it, and there are plenty of more economical hotels in town, but we liked being remote and private and seeing more iguanas than other guests.
We did 3 days of diving – 9 tanks in total- with Scuba Du and they were also great. Staff was friendly, clearly highly experienced, and communicated well. Ratio was good, rarely more than 6 to a dive master. I have dove on and off for 20 years, while my son was only recently certified, but this was the first drift diving experience for both of us. So rather than following the dive master, you tend to float along in a group. However some of the dives had spectacular swim-through caves and pinnacles, and the dive master did a good job of taking the group through those. No one had any real problems so we did not see how well they handled an urgent issue, but it always felt very safe. Unfort the more popular dive sites like Palacar had the opposite problem of the Presidente - crowded, lots of dive boats, and you usually could see another group somewhere under water. But this did not cause any real traffic jams, we still felt comfortable. The underwater scenery is amazing and somewhat different. I have dove around the world and have seen many spectacular reefs. Bu this reminded me of the Disneyland submarine ride where the corals and shellfish look too fake, just pained onto the rock. But turns out Disney was just copying Cozumel because that is how the rocks look here – a riot of color painted or adhered onto the spires and crags. Very beautiful and it surrounds you. No mermaids. But lots of nurse and reef sharks, turtles, eagle rays, giant lobsters and a zillion fish. Three days was enough – felt like we had seen the full range. But will come back with rest of family. The request for tips for the crew on on day one was a bit heavy handed, but a more graceful "ask" the following days, and I generally gave 100 pesos per trip before they even asked, which is not a lot of money but not everyone tips. However quite a few divers stayed at less expesive hotels in town so you do not need to stay at Presidente, but it is very convenient and they will make sure you do not miss the boat.
Highly recommended. Tolman Geffs, Greenwich CT.

Room Tip: See my review - no need to pay up for ocean view
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for write a comment about you recent stay at our Resort InterContinental Cozumel, we feel very please to meet your expectations on our services as well as on our facilites.

I would like to remind you, joining to the InterContinental Ambassador program at the moment to check in at the hotel, will be worth it, to up grade your room accomodations, for higher level of comfort.

Regarding your scuba dive experience, I am sharing your comments with Scuba Du dive shop.

I look forward to see you in a near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

My husband and I just spent 5 days at this hotel. We enjoyed a beach front room that had a spectacular view. We had been in Playa for 10 days and were looking for a spot in Cozumel for our last 5 days. The hotel is very quiet with a beautiful private beach. The reef out front of the hotel is the best I've ever snorkled, no need to book an excursion! The restaurant serves excellent food with a spectacular view. The hotel is not all inclusive and can get pricy, we ate out most days in town but did enjoy a few meals at the hotel. The only complaint we had was that the hotel was over half empty but they put people beside and on top of us. The walls are paper thin, we didnt understand why an empty hotel wouldn't put space between its guests. Overall a wonderful vacation spot, we would stay here again. Highly recommend for honeymooners and couples.

Room Tip: Upgrade to beach front, the view every morning is well worth it!
1  Thank BCShel
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and your time to write a comment about our resort. We are very pleased that you mention us as a wonderful romantic place.

We firmly believe we have the task to all our guests, is to create unforgettable experiences.

I am also sharing your comments with my Front Desk area people to work at the points where we must.

Thank you again and I look forward welcome you very soon.

Reviewed February 8, 2012

This was our 8th trip over a 20 year time period to Cozumel and all stays have been at this hotel. There is something about it that makes us feel like family. The hotel retains staff so we always see the same faces and they remember us! Our favorite rooms are in the 5000 wing and are beachfront. They have huge outdoor garden showers, a private beach balcony with hammock and chairs and a sensational view of the ocean from your bed. The room has fresh flowers and just is SO romantic. It was my birthday this visit and they surprised me with chocolate covered strawberries in our room one night and at my birthday dinner they had a special chocolate bomb dessert with my name on the plate. Victor our waiter was willing to even make special menu items happen for us! Be careful what you ask for at this hotel because they will probably get it for you! They exceeded all of our expectations. They offer the best cevich and tableside guac on the island. When I would finish my morning run they would great me at the front lobby with a cool towel and bottled water. Definately sign up to become an Ambassador with Intercontinental prior to your visit. You get one free night and also an automatic room upgrade and lots of other little perks. SO worth it!
We are divers so we signed up with Diving with Alison (not assoicated with hotel) prior to our arrival and she picked us up each morning at our pier (on time! which is a big deal in Mexico). She is THE BEST DIVE person on the island if you like small groups and outstanding service. She books up way in advance but we are always going to book our trips when she is available. Each day when we got on the boat we got to hear about the other people at cheaper hotels were so disappointed in their rooms, service etc. We could not be happier to hear that The El Presidente is still the best choice.
Rent a jeep for the day and tour the East side of the island. Also make sure to visit The Money Bar just down the road. Bands on Friday, Sat and Sun and very local flavor. The grilled fish is outstanding.
For snorkelers - the reef in front of the hotel is the best place to beach snorkel on the island so you don't ever have to leave. There is also easy access of the beach via several piers. Also, this have to be the largest beach on Cozumel. They rake the sand everyday and it is so relaxing just to walk around the property.
I would encourage you to visit this gem. Perfect to your romantic honeymoon or even a great place to take your family.

Room Tip: Go with beach front 5000 block or the suites in the 2000 block. Gorgeous!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Henry W, Gerente at Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you very much for your visit, second, for been posted you detailed comments about our Resort!

You are totally right about become an InterContinental Ambassador, it really worth it as you said and besides we are able to do it very easily during the check in process.

I am really pleased about your recent stay and I feel very proud about our valuable staff. I am sharing with them all your kind words.

I look forward to welcome you in a near future.