“Great Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Josefina's Cocina Con Alma

Josefina's Cocina Con Alma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Bienvenido! to Josefina's Cocina con Alama. "Alma" the word for soul in Spanish is how authentic Mexican cooking begins. We invite you to explore and taste the many wonders of Mexcian cuisine through hands-on instruction with the wonderful cook & chef, Josefina. Join Josefina in her Cozumel home and kitchen for a day to learn how to make regional Yucatecan delights as well as other Mexican dishes. The class is designed for those that want a "taste" of Mexican culture (you will even get to visit the local market). It is set up for all ages to enjoy, yet comprehensive enough for those avid cooks looking to hone and learn new skills. Be prepared to eat as you will cook a feast suited for the Mayan gods!
Ontario Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Great Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I'm almost 50 and made my way to Josephina's without any hitches. The directions were very clear. I admit I am a confident traveller but I had no issues going by myself. Josephina met me at the door and asked me to take a seat while I waited for the others. Josphina's house was warm and inviting. She handed me the cookbook to look at while I waited.(which only cost $5 – I bought four - best souvenirs – everyone loved them)I joined a group with an American woman and a young couple from Germany. I truly enjoyed meeting them. They were a pleasure. She walked us to the market to purchase the fresh ingredients we were to use. I loved the market! We came back to her home and started to watch and prepare the food. We made the best guacamole, green sauce, cactus leaves, corn tortillas, mango and cucumber salad, margaritas, quesadilla and chilies en Nogada! Everything was so yummy. I was so full. Josephina was so knowledgeable and her two neighbours who assisted were lovely. She showed us her beautiful garden and backyard. Which was a labour of love. I was so lucky to be invited into her home. Not only did I learn how to make great food but I learned some tips 1.) How to keep guacamole green 2) How to peel an avocado 3) How to clean out a pepper so not to hurt your hands. You need to go to her class to get these tips, cook great food and have the best margaritta! One warning - piquin chili powder on fruit is addictive. Thank you so much Josephina! I will definitely take another class when I return next year. Fell in love with Cozumel too!

1 Thank daydayday0

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Viva Josefina!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

On the only rainy day on our family vacation I abandoned my husband and daughter to take Josephina's cooking class. It was wonderful. I joined a Canadian woman and a young couple from Germany and we had a great time. After Josefina's class I am now addicted to black beans, poblano chiles, fruit with chile powder, and aqua de Jamaica! I took those new cooking skills back to our vacation condo and impressed my family with my authentic cooking skills! I don't think I would have ever gotten to the Mercado Municipal without the tour from Josefina. We ended up going back to the market a couple days later and enjoyed buying more produce as well as some embroidered blouses--without the cruise ship hoards & prices. I felt like I was seeing the "real" Cozumel. I'll definitely take another class when I return. Muchos Gracias Josefina!

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Real Mexico experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Far and away one of the best experiences of our 10 days on Cozumel. If you've ever wondered if you're eating truly authentic food of the country which you are visiting (this is a thing I hang up on regularly) look no further. This is a class taught in home with ingredients bought at the local market and prepared by a true local and obvious master of her craft. Amazing food and seriously an amazing woman. I left Josephina feeling like I really got to know Mexico a little better and on a deeper level than I've ever really had anywhere else in the world. This goes way beyond the typical cruise ship style shore excursion. If you had only half a day on cozumel this would absolutely be the thing to do.

Kansas City, Missouri
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Loved Josephina's Cooking Class!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Last Thursday, I took Josephina's cooking class. There was only one other lady and me – practically like a private cooking class. Josephina is such a sweet lady and very informative. We made tacos, refried black beans, tortillas, gorditas and huaraches. She took us to the market to pick out fresh items to cook with – it was a great experience and I’m excited to have her cookbook and make some of these items at home.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank sammy17
Drummondville, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great fun, great food !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We had a wonderful time with Josephina ! Food was excellent and we learn quit a few thig on mexicain cuisine. Wonderful human experience as well.

Definetly worth a try !