“Yum!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Josefina's Cocina Con Alma

Josefina's Cocina Con Alma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Bienvenido! to Josefina's Cocina con Alama. "Alma" the word for soul in Spanish is how authentic Mexican cooking begins. We invite you to explore and taste the many wonders of Mexcian cuisine through hands-on instruction with the wonderful cook & chef, Josefina. Join Josefina in her Cozumel home and kitchen for a day to learn how to make regional Yucatecan delights as well as other Mexican dishes. The class is designed for those that want a "taste" of Mexican culture (you will even get to visit the local market). It is set up for all ages to enjoy, yet comprehensive enough for those avid cooks looking to hone and learn new skills. Be prepared to eat as you will cook a feast suited for the Mayan gods!
Coquitlam, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed a cooking class with Josephina. Be sure to arrive hungry. We had such a feast - fish was our chosen dish, but we also made salad, refried beans, guacamole, corn tortillas and some sauces. She also served us fruit, chips and the best margarita I've ever tasted. Her english is very good and we learned a lot from her in a very fun and relaxed setting. I would do this again. Thanks Josephina!

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Sandi212

Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Went with a friend that was visiting for a week. Really enjoyed everything about it. Don't be shy to ask questions - Josefina is very knowledgeable and helpful. The trip to the market was great - makes it easier for me to shop at these places now. Iced Hibiscus Tea is a regular daily drink for me now.

1 Thank sotar
Nantucket, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent idea for a midday activity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have been traveling to Cozumel annually for several years, and love the food, culture, and hospitality. But we have always had trouble recreating the local cuisine when we returned home. So we took Josephina's cooking class. It was awesome. From the garden at her home where she grows spices, to the help at the market (where she showed us what to look for in picking the best fruit and fish), it was a great experience. Josephina is bilingual, and helped us to improve our spanish with specific ingredients and cuts of meat, as well as history about how culture has influenced food. For anyone who wishes to understand more about Yucatan culture and food, and spend three hours away from the cruise dock, her course is highly recommended.

1 Thank Noah K
Antioch, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun afternoon and great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

The class is as described in the other reviews and we had a great time. In ours, there was 8 people (4 couples) and that seemed to be the limit of the dining table/room. A few notes (but I'm not really a PIA):
- The reservation said to allow 20 minutes to take a cab from the International/Carnival port to her house. I would allow a bit more time (say 1/2 hr) for the long walk to the cab stand, waiting for a cab, and the traffic congestion at the port. If your ship docks at the San Miguel pier, you can walk to her house.
- I only saw ceiling fans, which was OK for our beautiful January weather but might be an issue in summer.
- She has cats, which wasn't mentioned in the description, in case you have allergies. But the cats stayed outside and simple hand-washing and avoiding them was OK for my GF who is allergic.
- I checked about smoking and it is only allowed outside, which wasn't an issue for our session.
- I said we were OK joining the 11am group and so we were with 2 other reservations. We ran a bit more than 3 hours.
- You cook and share 2 entrees and Josephina arbitrates between what people requested. I made it very clear to her that I didn't want fish (I had requested Chicken Mole) and so we ended up doing chicken wrapped in banana leaf and chili relleno-4 beef and 4 cheese.
- You prepare a dish and it is sent off to be steamed/cooked; but you don't necessarily get the same item back to eat. I find this the most bothersome aspect since who knows about the hygiene and cooking skills of the others. Someone got a chili relleno that wasn't completely cleaned of seeds!

But the food was wonderful and very filling and the experience unique. She has a cook book with all the recipes for sale for an additional $5. You a nice real local experience and you can always hang out at the beach some other time.

Chicago, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Cooking with Josephina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Basically, our cooking class with Josephina was wonderful. She is a fantastic teacher and the results were the best Mexican cuisine that we have ever tasted! We cooked Stuffed Poblano Peppers for a main course. This was preceded with a trip to the local market, and preparing from scratch a catus salad, refried beans, guacamole, and sauces.

Well worth the price. We will want see her again if we come back to Cozumel. Her class was possibly the best single thing we did in Cozumel, including scuba diving and a trip to Chichen Itza.

Mary and Bob, Chicago