“Successful fishing trip”
Review of Cozumel Charters

Cozumel Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: Cozumel Charters is proud to be the #1 fishing charter in Cozumel and the Riviera Maya. We offer all-inclusive deep sea fishing, bottom fishing, and fly fishing trips in both Cozumel and Playa del Carmen, as well as private snorkeling trips to Cozumel's great coral reefs. We have a full range of boats ranging from economy budget trips to luxurious motor yachts to fit all budgets and group sizes. We welcome cruise passengers as well as hotel guests and local residents on all of our trips. Beer, snacks, lunch (on full day trips), cleaning and filleting, fishing license, all tackle and expert captain and crew are always included, free of charge. Let us show you the customer service that has made us famous during your vacation in Cozumel or the Riviera Maya.
san antonio, tx
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Successful fishing trip”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We had a bit of a rough start on our first charter, but Jim the owner of cozumel charters did an outstanding job in making everything right. Our second time out was an incredible experience. The boat was in good shape, although the seas were just a bit rough and instead of a bench to sit on we sat on coolers. They weren't locked down and mine kept sliding around. The crew was amazing, extremely helpful, very skillful fisherman. We caught fish, which is always a wonderful bonus. Still looking for the illusive wahoo! The dorado was great for sushi and for dinner.

1 Thank lnamikas
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Hi Folks,

Thank you for making a Trip Advisor report on your fishing experience. We have had a lot of difficult weather but that seems to have only helped fishing; most every client is catching mahi-mahi and some few other species, but what a sport fish and such great eating. One gentleman was out in heavy rains a few days ago and landed six mahi-mahi with a collective weight of nearly 150 pounds; a very successful fishing trip.

I am happy you guys finally got a good fishing experience and it was my pleasure to help make that happen.

Thank you for choosing Cozumel Charters as your provider.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good Stuff!!!!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Was a bit hesitant at first booking on-line, not knowing what we would get. Read the reviews and all seemed good. Was picked up at Occidental Grand Pier on time and set off for a wonderful day of fishing. We were a group of 6 and the boat was well fitted for our crew and the guides. Had a lovely day fishing, caught 4 mahi-mahi and lost a huge blue marlin. The crew were very helpful and pleasant. Thanks to all at Cozumel Charters. A little more to munch on would be good, especially after the night before. LOL

2 Thank Labradorian_13
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to write a Trip Advisor post about your fishing day in Cozumel, Mexico. From all you say, it seems we accomplished our mission: You caught some nice eating fish and got a shot at the prize of deep sea fishing, a Blue Marlin - very sorry that got away.

We appreciate that you made special effort to compliment your crew; they do work hard to put our clients on fish and that's what this is all about.

Cozumel Charters thanks you! We appreciate that online booking is a bit risky sometimes, but in the end everything worked well for you and you had a successful fishing charter. That is what we do and we really enjoy it when we achieve customer's satisfaction.

Please come back to the Mexican Caribbean and visit us again. We almost always have abundant fish in the areas we serve from Cancun to the Riviera Maya and Cozumel Island.

Thank You!!!
Romsey, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The trip of a lifetime”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hi to all you fishermen out there I am Derek from England I booked myself an individual trip on board Ana Marie going out from Peurt Aventuras. I am 66 years old and have been fishing all my life and this 4 hour trip has been the best fishing experience I have ever had no sooner we had got out to sea and lines were in the water we were into fish and boy do those fish fight my first fish was a 40lb Mahi Mah and we hooked it within 15 mins of fishing I had another of around 35lb and a smaller one of around 12lb I lost a much bigger one at the back of the boat but who cares after the first fish I did not care what happened as my dreams had already been realised well done Cosumel Charters .So all you fellow fishermen out there get booking

1 Thank DEREK C
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Fantastic! Our goal seems to have been achieved - we have a "happy fishermen" in our friend, Derek from the United Kingdom. We appreciate you taking time to share your experience with Trip Advisor members & readers. This is a great source for fishermen (travelers in general) to search activities available in vacation destinations and decide what they will do and what providers they are likely to use based on the experiences related by people who have had the experience.

Nothing I can say could possibly improve on your very, very nice review. Thank you for choosing and recommending Cozumel Charters. We hope to see you in our part of the Mexican Caribbean again real soon, amigo!
connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“That's why they call it fishing.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Fishing;
All fishing but no catching. Only one bite the entire 4 hours. I booked the Luxury 1/2 day bottom and deep sea fishing for nine people. It was a windy but sunny day and the captain said the seas were too rough for bottom fishing. As soon as we left port five lines were rigged with Ballyhoo and we were trolling. We did not venture out too far. A few miles at most. We stayed between Cozumel and the mainland.
Crew and Boat;
The Captain and Mate were accommodating. The mate was constantly tending the lines and changing out the bait with different colored skirts. There were chips, ice cold beer, soda and water. See my photos of our boat the MAKAIRA. If you have a large group like ours I would suggest getting the larger boat. Fortunately five of the nine of us were in our twenties and didn't care where we sat.

A WARNING to those of you arriving by cruise ship;
Be aware of SHIPS TIME vs Local Time.
We arrived on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas Friday April 19th 2013 at 10am SHIPS TIME. Our Ships Time was one hour ahead of Cozumel Time. I did not realize this until the night before when we received the daily "Cruise Compass" about Cozumel. The next morning as soon as we were in cell phone range I called the number given in their email. A man named Rick answered and I explained the time issue. He was able to notify the crew that we would be arriving one hour earlier than booked. I don't know if this "SHIPS TIME" thing is new but Cozumel Charters should make customers aware of this possible situation in their confirmation email and on their web site.

Getting from the ship to the port was simple. There was a taxi stand in front of the cruise ship terminal. I just showed the map included with the confirmation email to the taxi driver. When the taxi driver dropped us off I asked him to pick us up at 3:30 that afternoon. When we returned He was there waiting for us. It cost us $30 each way for the taxi for nine people.

I think it would been helpful to have known the name of the boat we were assigned before we arrived at the fishing port. When we arrived we just walked over to the only boat with people on it which happened to be ours. I did make a call to confirm that it was our boat though.

To sum it up I think this is a good value. My father was happy with the boat equipment and effort made by the crew. This says a lot because he has been a deep sea fishing fanatic for over 20 years off of Florida's East Coast and Keys.

Visited April 2013
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Amigo it’s a real shame when we take our good clients for a fun day of fishing but There is no bite! We hate that as much as our guests believe me…we really want happy fishermen. Mother Nature is always present, sometimes generous and sometimes not so much so.

Thank you for making a special point of how hard your crew worked trying to put you on fish; they are very good at their jobs and I am proud when they show such a strong work ethic. It’s nice that you noticed and mentioned them.

Dealing with cruise passengers is a bit confusing sometimes; they come from different ports and time zones, so they are sometimes on the same time as Cozumel and sometimes one hour earlier or later…just depends on their home port departure. We adjust for it however. It gets more difficult when daylight saving time springs forward or falls back. It is almost impossible to build a page online to explain this, but we compensate. In your case (most all cases) our crews are on the boats one or two hours before departure is scheduled, so very seldom do the clients experience the inconvenience of waiting. The cruise lines would serve their clients better if they siply change their ship clocks, but then everyone tends to go with their watches, so the easier solution is for us to just be ready. Ricky got your call and when you arrived at the marina you found your crew waiting for you with no delay in your departure. That works best we think.

This quote from you is priceless, and we thank you and your dad: “My father was happy with the boat equipment and effort made by the crew. This says a lot because he has been a deep sea fishing fanatic for over 20 years off of Florida's East Coast and Keys.

Thank you for choosing Cozumel Charters; we hope to see you in the Mexican Caribbean again real soon.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience with these guys!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We took a half day excursion for reef fishing and the guys, Roger and Angel, couldn't have been more helpful, kind, professional, knowledgeable, cautious and accommodating. It was very windy so the person that needed to catch a fish did. We saw the most beautiful water ever!!! I highly recommend Cozumel Charters.

Visited April 2013
IslandJim, Owner at Cozumel Charters, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
We appreciate our clients so much for being our cheerleaders, so to speak. Thank you for taking time to post your review on Trip Advisor, one of the world's leading travel forums used by new and seasoned travelers to advise others of great experiences and the providers who give them the type of service they hope for and deserve.

Every client is worthy of our best efforts, rather it is catching fish or snorkeling Cozumel's famous reefs, we are careful to pick captains and guides. These guys know their business and really enjoy helping our guests get the best experience possible when they are on the Mexican Caribbean with our company.

Our clients are the nicest people in the world - we couldn't be more grateful. Hurry back to visit us in Cozumel again soon!