“Would absolutely do again and again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stingray Beach

Stingray Beach
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Austin
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Would absolutely do again and again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We were at first a bit cautious and overwhelmed by the sheer size and numbers of the rays, but quickly fell into comfort. My 8 year old daughter said she was "terrified" in the beginning, but wouldn't hesitate to do it again, given the chance. The rays were sweet and stunning, and our guides (William being who stood out) were informative and hilarious. The snorkeling after was one of our best memories from this vacation, with the water calm and crystal clear, it was very surreal. I can't state enough what a great deal this was, low priced, semi educational, entertaining, and breathtakingly beautiful. We purchased the (in my opinion VERY AFFORDABLE) CD of pictures, with the frame, on our way out.

Visited October 2013

• Czech first
Los Angeles, CA
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“No barbs, no worries, my friend!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I'm not going to lie. When the stingrays started circling, I was a little freaked out.

Even though I knew that all the barbs on the stingrays had been removed, the whole 2006 Steve Irwin incident kept creeping into my brain as the stingrays skimmed our ankles and swam between our legs. The kid next to me screaming bloody murder did NOT help.

However, I'm writing to assure other Nervous Nellies that there's nothing to fear. These stingrays are like gentle giants, up close and personal.

The fish are actually more aggressive than the stingrays at feeding time! It's literally a challenge to feed the stingrays without the fish getting to the food first! - timing is everything.

As mentioned in other reviews, the staff made us feel comfortable and they were funny, easy going and very informative.

Other things to know:
-- Even if you have your own camera, the staff discourages you from taking your own photos of you, or your family holding a stingray in the shallow area. THAT was a bummer and it's simply because they want you to purchase their photo packages. You almost have no option but to buy photos from them if you want a photo of you and your new winged friend.

To their credit, the photos are decent and they take plenty. If you want a different angle or pose, they'll accommodate your request.

-- You can use your own waterproof camera when you are left to go snorkeling.

-- If your came to Cozumel by cruise line, this location is very close to where the boats dock. However, if you think you'd get a better price if you walked or taxi'd over by yourself, you won't. I believe it's a deal struck with the cruise line, which saves you about $10 that you probably would have spent on a cab any way.

-- The location is a lot smaller than I expected. Even the photos in this gallery make the snorkel area look a lot larger than it actually is. This is not a reason to be disappointed at all. There's plenty of colorful fish to see in addition to the many, many stingrays.

-- They have this activity down pat. They have you in and out of there in time for the next group to come in. They say you can snorkel as long as you like, but I'm not sure that you would want to as the area is relatively small so snorkeling can get pretty crowded.

-- Cervezas are cold and much cheaper than they are on your cruise boat.

-- Bathrooms are clean!

4 Thank Shiubee
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“If you like stingrays, this is for you”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I went with my family, which includes some kids and they loved it! I stood on the side for the first part of the excursion because I personally am not so fond of them brushing against my legs and such. They teach you how to handle the stingrays and how to feed them. There is also a water trampoline which the kids had fun on. I did snorkle in the second part of the excursion because the stingrays are way down below about 20 ft. One couple left because they did not like stingrays. This is an excursion where you will have contact with them so if you just want to snorkle without 22 stingrays around you then pick a different excursion. They give you a free drink after and you can sit and relax a bit. They provide you with water shoes, life vest (you may have to manually blow it up), snorkel equipment, and fins. It is a fun excursion for a lower price.

1 Thank toolgal2
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun adventure for the whole family!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our visit to Stingray Beach! The whole family loved the opportunity to hold and feed the rays. The water in Cozumel is absolutely beautiful. We had a clear view while snorkeling. The staff was very helpful and entertaining!

Hurst, Texas
“I Would Recommend This Activity Any Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Well done! I loved the several things they do to make your experience complete. The staff did a great job! First, they set you up in a circle to explain how it works and what to expect regarding the feeding, petting and snorkeling as part of the adventure. This made me feel very comfortable. They even used a stuffed stingray to go over the anatomy of the stingrays and gave us clear guidance on how to handle them. We also had a chance to feed them. That was very exiting.
They provide you with all you need including swimming shoes, fins, visor, etc.
Staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The didn't make us feel rushed; instead, they seemed genuinely interested in making sure we had a good time.
Pedro, "Principe" and every one else speak very good English.They really made us feel welcome.I would highly recommend this activity. My husband and I can't wait to go back and do it again.