“Spearfishing with Leo Fulfilled a Life's Dream!”

Spearfishing Today Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: The original spearfishing adventure on Cozumel. Come for the thrill of shooting your own fish. You wanna learn how to spear? Or you just need a guide? Contact us! We will make sure that there will be memories of a lifetime! Check out our website with recent pictures!
Reviewed December 21, 2009

The only thing lacking are better superlatives to describe my spearfishing experience!

What an indescribably wonder-filled day in the better half of the world--the underwater half! Imagine snorkeling on steroids! Imagine not just ordering a fish dinner in a restaurant while you are in Cozumel, but hunting and stalking that fish yourself, then presenting it to the chef to prepare for your evening dining!

Stop imagining, and call Leo! That's what I did. I discovered Leo while I was surfing the Internet in our hotel room during the final days of vacation. He responded promptly to my email and phone call and I was booked for my free diving adventure.

I'm no young man, so I confess I had anxieties, but am I glad I set them aside and took the plunge! Now I can't think of anything to put on my bucket list that compares to spearfishing in Cozumel. Leo picked me up from the pier next to Playa Azul and gave a wonderful orientation with safety instructions, then off to the hunt. Leo pointed out the edibles and the non-edibles. We only speared what we would eat that night at supper. We visited three sites at varying depths. With Leo's coaching the group returned with supper for all. The cook at my hotel at Playa Azul was thrilled to clean and cook the trigger fish I brought home. Leo speared the trigger fish but graciously shared it with me. It was the best meal of vacation! My wife will attest to that!

If you enjoy snorkeling, you will love a spearfishing adventure with Leo. Spearing a fish is only the icing on the cake. If you spear a fish great; if you don't, you still will have had the best day of vacation. I am looking forward to returning to Cozumel and will plan on a couple of fishing trips with Leo.

There are newer reviews for Spearfishing Today Cozumel

Reviewed December 20, 2009

I spent the morning of December 14th spearfishing with Leo. The reviews say it all. Leo is a gentleman and an excellent fisherman. His knowledge of the area, of the fish, and of the sea is outstanding. After a thorough briefing on safety, fish behavior, and on hunting strategy, the fun begins.

Make no mistake, this isn't "fishing" in the passive rod-and-reel sense. This is fish-hunting. It takes a bit of time to get the hang of things, but with Leo's patience and thoughtful advice in a half hour or so you'll know what to do and start to get better.

The morning I spent fishing with Leo was exciting. I have tales of "the one that got away", "the one I was *this* close to", and of the fish that Leo kindly shared with me.

If you're a sportsman, a hunter, angler, snorkeler, or the kind of person who wants to do something that isn't listed on the glossy tourist brochures, this adventure is for you. And you'll look forward to your next trip so you can take another hunting trip with Leo

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Leo is a very nice person and helped us sort out some unexpected situation. Will come back and go with him again. Highly recommend!

Reviewed December 12, 2009

Everything the reviews say about Leo and spearfishing with him are true. It is an expierence you cannot miss if you have ever thought about trying spearfishing. Leo went above and beyond to make my expierence amazing. Thanks so much Leo! I will go back as soon as I can.

Reviewed December 6, 2009

This is "the real deal" !! We just spent a week in Cozumel at Thanksgiving with our son (12) and daughter (11). After 7 wonderful days there, it is no doubt the 2 days spent spearfiishing with Leo, were by far the best. Leo, and his crew, made our trip truly memorable. So much so that we have already made arrangements to return in March for more spearfishing adventures with Leo, Miguel (who can make a beautiful video of your experience in the water) and Juan (the captain).

One of Leo's "gifts" is his ability to connect with you, and especially with your children, and to get everyone comfortable in the water. I would say we were beginner to intermediate level snorkelers at best. While we are in decent shape, we are not strong swimmers and had only snorkeled 5 or 6 times before. We were definitely a bit nervous as we had not spent much time in the ocean. Almost immediately we felt comfortable with Leo and trusted in his expertise. He was especially great at working with our kiddos and helping them relax in the water.

When spearfishing with Leo you will know his focus is on your having a safe, fun and memorable experience but I have to add that part of the awesome experience is just kicking along the surface and watching as Leo swims beneath you for minutes at a time stalking fish. He is amazing to watch.

Watching him will be just the incentive you need to take the speargun in hand yourself and dive down after your own prey. Should you prove a skillful hunter you might even find yourself sharing the "catch" at dinner with Leo and friends later that night at a local restaurant (Toro's Place) like we did. Again one of the highlights of our trip.

Before I sign off, I must also state how impressed we were with Cozumel. We have vacationed in the Caribbean numerous times but the water in Cozumel was the most crystal clear that I can recall. The people there were great. The island was very clean (bathrooms and all) and we felt very safe the entire time. As I stated above, we are returning again in March and can't wait.