“First timer that will repeat!!!”

Spearfishing Today Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: The original spearfishing adventure on Cozumel. Come for the thrill of shooting your own fish. You wanna learn how to spear? Or you just need a guide? Contact us! We will make sure that there will be memories of a lifetime! Check out our website with recent pictures!
Reviewed February 11, 2009

Leo rules. I was nervous about trying this for the first time. I don't scare easily and have snorkeled and swam enough in my day I figured what the heck. This was hard work but absolutely worth it. I must admit that spearing is difficult and Leo made sure I didn't go home empty handed.

Not only did I have a great time I am committed to going back to Cozumel and doing it again. Maybe even twice the next trip! This was hands down one of the coolest experiences in my life. Whitewater rafting on the Snake and Colorado Rivers? This was better. Hiking through Yellowstone, Glacier, and the Black Hills? This was better. Hunting and fishing my whole life throughout MN, WI, ND, SD, IA and Canada? This was better.

We went out on a day that was pretty choppy. Leo said we might have to cancel and he would be ok if I wanted to. He left the decision up to me and I said let's do it. Well... it was rough swimming for me (I could be in better shape to be fair) but I still had a blast. Leo shot a Calamari for his first time and we saw a large ray (I though Leo said it was an Eagle ray) which is apparently pretty rare for a snorkeler to see in that area. Seeing these creatures in their natural environment (I am not a diver by the way so sorry if I sound a little over enthusiastic) is unreal. My heart was POUNDING when I saw that ray.

I cannot wait until our next trip to Coz for lots of reasons. There are plenty of things I want to try differently next time, but this is a repeat for sure!

All reviews
in 11 reviews
in 362 reviews
in 37 reviews

Reviewed February 11, 2009

After reading other reviews here about Leo .... Really, what is left to say ? Maybe a little back ground on how I met Leo. ( I'll try to keep this short. ) I was on a forum of, cozumelmycozumel.com, looking for information about the 2 new ships that were sunk off Cozumel. I had tried many different sources, tourism board, dive operators, but no one seemed to know anything about the ships.
Leo comes on the forum and said he free dives them all the time and would be glad to snorkel out there with me and show me. Never mentioning he guides for a living. He just wanted to meet up and help me out. So my friends and I show up at Los Casitas and meet with Leo and we go see the wrecks. I was so impressed that we set up an outing with him for later in the week and I brought my wife this time to spearfish with him. I can't say enough about Leo's character. A Great guy.
After our successful spearfishing excursion we went to Wet Wendys where Leo and Chad cooked up the fish. Another must do stop when on Cozumel.
I did post a You-tube video if you are interested in looking at it :

I would recomend this for people that are comfortable in the water and their swimming/snorkeling abilty.
I will be back to Cozumel in March and have already booked a Boat outing with Leo for my wife and two daughters.

Reviewed February 10, 2009

We went to Cozumel for our honeymoon. My husband met Leo and really wanted the experience of the spearfishing. At first, I wasn't sure it was something I wanted to do....but then, I met Leo. He instantly connects with a grin and answers questions and concerns with care. We had a fantastic and unique experience. I treasure the memory and photographs from that day. The weather was perfect and it was something I could do even though I hadn't snorkeled 3 times in my life. I snorkeled with the guys and even had my opportunity to load and shoot the speargun. While holding my breath while diving and spearing wasn't my "thing," watching and filming my husband and Leo was...and then some. I was astounded by how deep Leo can go on a breath of air and how long he stays down. My husband surprised me as well! The water was so clear all the action is vividly in view and I didn't miss anything and felt very much a part of it all. The marine life we saw was beautiful...and the shipwrecks...WOW. After the spearfishing, Leo took us to Wet Wendy's restaraunt where we were treated to a great dinner of the fish caught on our trip. It was a feast for the eyes and for the palate. (I highly recommend Wet Wendy's too). The experience is not one that everyone has on Cozumel and is a personal experience I highly value. My husband? He still has a grin on his face from it. When we go back to Cozumel, we'll be booking a trip with Leo for sure.

Reviewed February 8, 2009

My 2 brothers and I went spearfishing with Leo in January 2009 and really enjoyed it. We practised close to the shore before swimming out to some wrecks, Leo helped us clean the fish and sent us some great photos afterwards.

It was good fun and good exercise and I'd recommend it to anyone who's interested to try something new and in reasonable shape.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I have to admit I was a little skeptical of the reviews for this. Nothing is really THIS good, is it? After a few emails with Leo, we booked a spear and snorkel trip on a catamaran for four people.

The night before the trip, Leo called to let us know that the weather on the North end was going to be rough and suggested we cancel the sailboat and instead do a shore dive. It was the right call.

The next day (and right on time), Leo and his girlfriend arrived at Las Casitas to meet us. Leo was thorough in safety and provided lessons to my novice spearfishing buddy. He also offered several good tips on how to hunt.

We left from shore and practiced in the shallows. We immediately got two hound fish. We went further out where the concrete from the Puerta Maya pier was placed as a natural reef.

We also dove two smaller shipwrecks in the area. When I forgot the tips during the thrill of the hunt, Leo reminded me of the techniques he told us. In all, we got about 7 fish, including three nice Trigger fish. It was at least 2.5 hours of time in the water and we were thoroughly exhausted. Leo cleaned the fish and we took them to El Moro for dinner.

Leo's deep water free diving skills are phenomenal. I will do this trip again on my next visit. It really was THAT good!

1  Thank Mark L