“Great for non-tourist eats” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Los Otates

Los Otates
Ranked #12 of 359 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Los Otates has an ideal location, just 3.5 blocks from the ocean, and walking distance to the central plaza and ferry pier.
costa mesa, ca
“Great for non-tourist eats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I love this place - Its rough around the edges, so it can be intimidating to pretentious tourists and thats one reason why I like it. The structure feels like half palapa, half building that contains an odd assortment of kitchen items hobbled together to make a restaurant. They use aluminum foil to cover the walls next to the BBQ. Gotta love it.

The food is cheap and tasty - I ordered carne tacos, the wife ordered carne quesadillas. Free salsa and chips came with it Very tasty. They even have free WiFi for those that can decipher the password on the wall

• Visited July 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
West Fargo, North Dakota, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just an opinion”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had read and heard big reviews about this place so were excited to have some "real" Mexican food. I am not fluent in Spanish by any means, but I pride myself of being a step above people who pronounce the "L" in quesadilla. The food was not to my liking (though I realize it may just be the recipes and style), and the service was passive. I think many people love the very basic food and service of this place, like you are at a friend's house. But I don't pay my friends for food, so I like more.

• Visited May 2013
Washington DC Metro Area
“Do you like it dirty?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Los Otates has the best "dirty tacos" we've ever enjoyed anywhere! Awesome food, very interesting ambiance (basically 3 walls, a roof, and a dirt floor), and a very nice crowd of mostly locals. And speaking of dirty, the food is dirt cheap! We spent quite a bit at several of Cozumel's upscale restaurants and had marginal food. We also tried some other local establishments looking for this kind of authentic Mexican and only stumbled on this when we asked a local a bit oustide of the Cruise ship path where her favorite restaurant was and she pointed us to this (slightly hard to find) gem. You may have to hunt for it the first time but your taste buds will take you back time after time after time.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank sliptak
Aurora, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“eat like the locals do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Los Otates has been one of our standards for many years now, originally recommended by one of our dive masters. Be prepared to use bug spray before you go for dinner; carry it with you in the summer months. They speak almost no English. The menu is in English and Spanish, however, so you can point to what you want. Simple and filling fare for a decent price and usually there is futbol on TV.

Visited July 2013
“Authentic mexican tacos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The cab ride one way to this place was $8 after we got off our cruise ship. We ordered the queso fundido & guacamole, both excellent. My husband ordered a "pastor" taco, tradiotional with a small piece of a pineapple, he loved it so much, he ordered another one. Our entire meal was $15.

• Visited July 2013