“Eat where the locals eat...”
Review of Los Otates

Los Otates
Ranked #14 of 370 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Los Otates has an ideal location, just 3.5 blocks from the ocean, and walking distance to the central plaza and ferry pier.
New Caney, Texas, United States
“Eat where the locals eat...”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Small local place, out of the way, not a tourist spot at all...that is a good thing...means better prices! I had the Gringas tacos...SUPER GOOD!

Wait staff speaks very little English so either speak enough Spanish to order or just point to the menu. We are divers and our Dive Master sent us to this place for great tacos...he was right!

• Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Boulder, Colorado
“Great hours, decent food”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say about Los Otates, but it wasn't exceptional either. They do have a large selection available, and excellent hours for grabbing late night food. The tacos were fine, though the chicken seemed a little fatty. Chips and salsa were good, and the price was reasonable.

It isn't an overly far walk down the 5's from the market square, and worth it if you're looking to eat after a night at the bars. I personally wouldn't make the trip again during normal dining hours though. Glad I went once though, worth checking out and deciding for yourself.

• Visited June 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
“Good place for some late night tacos”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Oatates was recommended by some friends to have some late night tacos. The service was good and food as well, it could be a little less greasy but that probably added to the flavor. They also offer cow head tacos for the gourmets!

• Visited May 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Watch out for waiter that steals!!Do not leave belongings unattended!!!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Keep a good eye on your belongings when you are visiting this restaurant, just had my iphone stolen from me last night at this exact location by the waiter! My Bf and I were eating an early dinner around 5:30 pm, and we were the only table at the time with two waiters and one cook. After dining and leaving back to the hotel, I realized that I had left my iphone on the table so I returned to claim it and both waiters gave me this weird look as I was entering back again, as if they knew I came back to claim my phone and of course they lied and said they had no idea what I was talking about. So I went back to the hotel and tracked the iphone and just like I expected, it was indicating that it was at Los Otates, so we returned again to find the waiter gone, so we explained to the manager that if he brings the iphone back we will not call the police, but of course they denied it again. So after locating police officers to explain to them what happened they escorted me back to the restaurant to speak to the owners and after going back and forth in spanish, the officers explained to me that none of the stories of the waiters added up right and that someone is guilty, they recommended that I go to the police station in the morning to fill out paper work. So I ended up wasting my last day in Cozumel at the police station filling out paper work to investigate the thief/waiter and never saw my iphone again.Just be careful, they all speak spanish and hardly any english and they all support each other, even though I could tell his co-workers/manger and even the owners knew that he had done something wrong, they all just gave me this look like "good luck finding it lady"! The cops were the only ones that helped.I will never go back to this place again, they have lost our business and our friends'.

juanmoreno81, Owner at Los Otates, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
This comment about Los Otates troubles me because it only tells one side of the story. The title implies that the customer’s belongings were stolen from her while she dined at the restaurant, when in reality her belongings were left, by her, on the table. She even indicated in her comment, “After dining and leaving back to the hotel, I realized I had left me iphone on the table.” Now, I have been in this position before. You negligently leave something behind at a business. You return with your fingers crossed, hoping that it is still there, or that someone has kept it for you. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. But is it completely the fault of the business?? NO!

I am the daughter-in-law of the owner and I have heard the other side of this story, and I think its only fair that it be published as well. Between the time this customer left her phone and then returned to the restaurant to claim it, other diners had eaten at the same table. We have at least to consider the possibility that someone else took the phone. When the police arrived it was almost 10 pm, meaning four hours had passed and many customers come in and out of the restaurant. At that point, the GPS was not working, probably whoever had taken the phone had turned it off. But, there was no evidence that the phone was at Los Otates at that time or evidence that an employee of the restaurant was the thief. By 10 pm the waiter’s shift had ended so he went home. He then returned to the restaurant to speak to the police, to defend himself as he was being accused of stealing. He told the police to go check his house if they wanted to, but they did not. As the customer mentions in her review, the owner and waiters of Los Otates do not speak much English, so there was certainly a language barrier which only worsened this misunderstanding.

I can tell you that the owner of Los Otates is one of the most honest men I know, and I can also tell you of many times personal items have been left behind by customers, wallets, sunglasses, phones, even a briefcase with money once, and all these items returned to their rightful owners. I am sorry it didn’t work out this time. It is a shame that this customer lost her phone. However, it is very unfair to slander the waiters and owner of Los Otates as thieves when there is a logical possibility that someone else stole the phone and no evidence as to the contrary.
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Tacos”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We ate tacos and burritos which were excellent. Next time I will try the Posole which I heard is the best