“Can't beat the location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Toro's Place

Toro's Place
Ranked #296 of 363 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican, Caribbean, Latin, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Lower Michigan
“Can't beat the location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

The food and drinks were very reasonably priced and great! The rooftop deck was the perfect place to relax and people watch and take in the view of our amazing cruise ship! The waitstaff was great. Ask for Mariano, he was great!

• Visited January 2014

DE
“Good food, great location BEWARE CREDIT CARD SCAM”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

My Wife and I ate here November 13 2013. We were in a hurry for lunch and it was close to the dive boat. Long story short, we both had the chicken tacos which were good. A little pricey but you need to pay some for the view. The place is clean and in a good location.
We ask them how long it would take as we had to get back to the boat. We meant dive boat, they thought cruise ship. We got our order in good time and ask for the check. The check arrived, I placed my debit card in it and the guy walked over to the bar. He later walked over to the stairs and gave the folio to someone. About 5 minutes later as our waiter waited by the stairs that same guy returned with the folio gave it to our waiter and our waiter brought over to the table. There was only the original charge on the slip, which I signed.
After we got back from the afternoon dive I checked my email and found the two charges, one for lunch and the fraudulent one. I knew right away we were scammed, when and who did it. We both went back over to the restaurant. As we walked in I recognized the waiter that served us and walked over to him, I could see if was very surprised to see me. I started asking him about it and he got very nervous, the owner then came over. He said there credit card machine was broke, or they didn't have one, and said they use the one down the street. He ask me to follow him to that store. We went down the stairs to a right and walked down a few shops. I had my original credit slip they used to look up the transaction. The owner and the lady behind the counter spoke Spanish so I could not understand them. When the lady behind the counter opened the drawer with the credit card machine in there were two machines. The one machine she found my legit change and the other machine when she ran the report she found the bad charged and matched it to my email I showed them on my phone. The owner explained he thought we were from the cruise ship, I thought yea I bet he did. Then he went on to try and explain how sometimes they don't always go through and she might have swipt it several times to try to get it to read. I knew that was all bull but I could tell I was going to get my money refunded so I didn't care. I busted them at their little scam game and they knew it. I don't know who is all involved in the scam, the waiter, the owner, the credit card lady, or all of them. To bad, Cozumel is a great place and most of the people are nice. But a few bad problems like that and tourism will suffer. Someone is running a scam and praying on the cruise ship passengers and others hoping by the time they get home, they'll have so many charges on their card they won't notice. Now I understand they raised the tourism tax again, making it even more expensive to travel to and from Cozumel.
If you need to eat here pay cash in peso's and watch your stuff.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank crisenda
torito22, Owner at Toro's Place, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
hi, in first place i didn,t mean to overcharge you, because it wasnt me, and i didnt know what was going, thanks to you i know now, actually im so glad you came to me and told me what happened, i have not a credit card machine on my bussines so i asked to the lady downstair to run the card for me, i didnt imagine what she was doing with the card, im guilty to no have a credit card machine, but not to still you money, im not that kind of person, so there was not scam game or trick that you were meaning, cuz im not involved; hopefully you can understand, im really sorry about what happened, but i have to thanks you for let me know the problem, im running my own credit card machine now, thanks a lot
Land O Lakes, Florid
“Great Food in Cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had a favorite restaurant in Cozumel for years and couldn't find it for the last few years, so we stumbled on Toro's Place on our last trip. (Had tried others in the meantime, but they were only so-so.) The service was very good and the food was great. Margaritas were excellent! The co-owner's husband came over to talk to us and then the co-owner came over when she had a moment. She was from the States and very friendly. It is an open air restaurant on the 2d floor and overlooks the water with the cruise ships in port. We will definitely go back on our next trip.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Laurie B
Houston, Texas
“A place you re-visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Toro's Place is something we stumbled upon back in 2010. Both in our visit then and now, we were the only table in the place. I don't know why! They offer a second story view of the water and have delicous beef and lobster fajitas. We also had fish tacos and shrimp tacos, both of which tasted great but didn't look very impressive. It is a simple, yummy place to eat with good service.

Visited August 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Authentic Mexican Food and Great Prices!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here after our shore excursion to Stingray Beach. We wanted something that wasn't commercialized (like Carlos & Charlies, Margartiaville - which we have in our hometown, or Senor Frogs - which we visited in Orlando). This definitely exceeded our expectations! We each got a huge plate of food and sodas and the bill (without tip) was $28.00. It was a little hot (no air), but we sat under the umbrellas overlooking the water... so beautiful! The place wasn't busy, the music wasn't loud (so we could actually carry on a conversation) and we got treated to a romantic song by a small mariachi band. Perfect lunch!!

• Visited July 2013