“Vacationers Beware”

A TripAdvisor Member
“Vacationers Beware”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2004

Trip Date: May 2004
Two weeks ago I was reviewing this site just as you are. My trip was already booked, but I wanted to soothe my curiosity. Most of what I read I have to agree with, with the exception of a few things. If you are considering going to the Allegro, I would highly encourage you to reconsider.
Rooms and grounds- I requested a room for three but I should have requested one for four. Salamanders and bugs frequented our room often. The grass ceilings (top floor) allowed the noise of outside birds and neighbors to penetrate. The toilets often did not work. Guest are asked not to place toilet paper into the toilets which resulted in not so fresh odors in the room. Air conditioning was less then desirable. The grounds always smelled of sewer and/or burning odors.
Staff- The front desk staff were not very helpful or friendly.
Entertainment- Less than professional. Got bored with it by third night.
Food- on a scale of 10, I would give the food a 4. I witnessed a cockroach on the dining room floor one day. One of our guests got sick from the fish in the Italian restaurant.
Cozemel- If you are a diver, this would obviously be the place to go. If not, select another location.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2004

I too was unsure about going to the Allegro, but put your worries to rest. This was the best trip of my life. Maybe it was the view(that is too beautiful for words),the kind and friendly staff,or the wonderful food,yes...I said wonderful food.If you are a picky eater,maybe somewhere else would be best for you. If you like 5 star hotel rooms, maybe somewhere else would suite you better. There were things that I was not used to, like the sulfur smell when they watered the lawns,and the corroded bath fixtures due to the extreme humidity and salty air, but overall, this quaint,rustic,different style of life appealed to me. I will admit, we had no problems(stayed there May 17-21)-no bugs,no water problems,we were not close to any pools or the sports bar. May and June is the off season and the hotel was only 1/2 capacity. Plenty of lounge chairs,food and fun. The overall mood is up and relaxed and at no time was I irritated or disappointed. I came to the realization that life is too short to complain about every little inconvenience. Embrace the culture,embrace the STYLE of living and remember to laugh.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
watsonville, california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2004

I stayed at this hotel on May 15, 2004 for 3 nights the rooms are small but clean there is that musty smell but you get used to it, not bad. The food is not the greatest but its ok, they dont have much of a variety and you really need to eat lunch by 2:00 pm after that there's only fries, nachos and chicken nuggets to eat. For dinner there's the same menu by the third day we were bored eating the same thing. So besides that when you stay here there's this 2 people sitting outside the lobby as you walk by them they will ask you if you want to visit their sister hotel next door it's the Grand Allegro Cozumel, they tell you they are just promoting it and they take you there and they will offer you some kind of a gift, DONT TAKE IT, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF, CHARGE ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND RUIN YOUR VACATION.

1 Thank skelly1

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

SW MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2004

In the last 4 years my wife and I have been to Coz 9 times and stayed at the Allegro 6 of those. We are going back to the Allegro in June and again with our dive group in September. Some trips have been with our dive group and some on our own and we have never had a bad time. One of our group got sick one day of one trip. As many of the reviews state yeah the rooms aren't great but you're not spending much time in them anyway. If you want a nice room and party time stay in Cancun. A couple of times something has gone wrong in the room and has always been fixed quickly. The diving is the real draw of Cozumel and the Allegro with Dive Palancar is the place to do it. We have dove enough with them that we are allowed a little more freedom while diving and they extend the same privelege to anyone who proves they are safe divers. We have dove with 3 different operators in San Miguel and while we had a good enough time the long boat rides are not what we're after. It is really nice to dive two tanks in the morning and be back before lunch ready to play in the afternoon. I enjoy the games in the pool and on the beach and my wife prefers to lay back and watch. My wife is a picky eater and always finds plenty that she likes especially La Huerta the Mexican specialty restaurant. Renting a car and driving around the island is a blast. If you're adventurous be sure and check out "Coconuts ". If you want some more details feel free to e-mail me.

2 Thank ozarkjim
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2004

After reading the reviews before the trip my two girlfriends and I were a bit nervous. But after getting there we were pleasantly surprised with the Allegro. I dont know what half of these people are talking about in their reviews but when we stayed there from May 6-11, we were treated great. The food was excellent, especially the Italian restaurant, and the staff was always extremely pleasant, helpful and friendly. Everybody seemed to go out of their way to accommodate us. Especially Pedro and Chala from the Dive center. They were so friendly and generous, and truly made our trip a wonderful experience. We also felt Freddie and Jose at the swim up bar were fabulous as well. My only complaint was having to leave......

1 Thank wanderingsolo
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2004

We stayed at the Allegro in Cozumel February of
this year. It was fine the grounds were beautiful.
The rooms I agree with others were small and are more then due to be updated. We were not that
concerned about the room because we were there for the beach and weather. I found the food to be
plentiful and it was fine. Even if you are a picky eater you will find something to eat. The beer was Corona on tap which was a big seller for my husband. I drink wine and it was fine as well. We always take our own disposable glasses only because I have seen how they wash the glasses at the bar area and I don't think it's the best washing.
This I have seen at other resorts down in the Islands as well. This resort is far from town so the down fall is the cab fare one way is about 18.00 us.
There are no buses on the island so you have no choice but to take a cab or rent a car. The weather was beautiful the day we were there. We never had a problem with the people at the front desk. One day we had a problem with the shower (couldn't turn it on) they sent some right away and they fixed. We were on the second floor close to the quiet pool. The walls don't come all the way to the roof so you can hear your neighbours tv and talking sometimes.
There is a sewer like smell on the grounds that gets worse toward the main building but it's for the fertilizing of the grounds. It's sometimes worse in the evening depending on which direction the wind is blowing. The shows are typical of what you see at all inclusive resorts it's fine the staff work very hard and they work long hours. If a deal came up I would go back again. However if I was looking to go to Cozumel again I would like to stay closer to the town, just for the convience of being able to go back and forth to town, and not having to pay 18.00us one way. We took the ferry over to Playa del carmen it's a nice a little town. We shopped and had lunch TGI Friday's. The cost for round trip on the cab and ferry to Playa del carmen was almost 70.00 u.s (just to give you an idea of the transportation costs) I would not discourage anyone from going here I would just say your not staying at the Hilton with regards to the room.. but who cares your on vacation your not there to live in your room.

Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2004

My wife and I stayed at the Allegro from May 3 to May 10. We've been on many vacations, this was the best by far. The breakfast was excellent, lunch wa good but the Italian and Mexican Cusine were the best. Ask them to make you a Mexican coffee at the Mexcian resturant. The beach was the best on the island, ask for Chala (by sailboat)to take to Alberto's Place, about 1/2 mile down the beach. He has the best and cheapest Lobster on the island and it's a great get away for a little privacy. You need to listen to Rene play the guitar in the piano bar between 7:00 and 9:00pm, he's fantastic. We'll be back in the fall.