Let me start off by saying I am neither spoiled, nor fussy, and tend to find my silver lining in any situation, but this was a tough one!
The good: the beaches were spectacular! the water was warm and clear and it was great to snorkel right off our beach. We saw stingrays, blow fish and many other types right in our swimming area. The dive shop staff were fantastic...very friendly and knowledgeable....they even blew up our tubes for us. The ladies at the front desk were also fantastic, as were most of the staff we encountered. Also excellent was the weather....sunny every day ! Loved the iguanas on the resort.
The Bad: where do I start. Everything about this hotel was half done. Its seems like they really tried to do things right and gave up. Ceilings are half painted, curtains are moldy, no caulking around the lovely sink in our room....just half a#s. No fridges in rooms, Beds were hard..very hard! TV's dont work, phones work only half the time...etc. (Not a huge deal since all you do is sleep in a room) The same applies to the food. Nothing was "Great". Don't get me wrong, none of us starved, but we did leave the resort for a few decent meals ..Try El Moro on 80th..great service, price and food! There was no bacon except for two days, the toaster was broken for two days and mediocre would be putting it mildy when describing the rest of the food. Irwin in the buffet restuarant was sweet and provided lovely service to us. However, one of the hosts actually said "OH MY GAWWD" when we asked to be seated at another table (the one we had was dirty)...speaking of dirty. Check your plates, cutlery and wine glasses before using them. Like I said, I am not fussy, but I am clean and using utensils with lipstick still on it is a bit gross to me!
The Ugly: our adult children had to switch rooms, because, like another review mentioned, there were bugs in their bed. We do not think they were bed bugs but more like fleas.... hundreds of tiny fleas! We think it was because the maid replaced the bed spread with one that was stored in "closet". they switched rooms and they were fine. There is also a very strong smell of sewage thru out the resort. If you ever smelled bad well water (like sulpher and poop) then you know what it is like. It occurs when you use the cold water...or flush your toilets. The smell is so strong it can wake you up from a deep sleep. Also, sound travels...bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
We did have a power outage when we were there. It was ugly ,,,,toiilets did not flush, fridges did not work, BUT...a big BUT...the staff handled it great. They went around with Candles and they still served dinner. Might have been the best meal I had because I couldnt see the dirt on the dishes ...LOL If you have not travelled much this may be acceptable to you. But to me and my family, it was the worst resort we have ever stayed at, but thankfully, we got a great deal and the price made it tolerable. I would consider this like a motel 6 and even for the price, I would never return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Mexico’s Caribbean there is a tiny island just bursting with life – it is Cozumel and the Allegro Cozumel resort. Right on the famous Sand Francisco Beach, two worlds of adventure co-exist: The Fun-in-the-sun beach and the amazing undersea Palancar Reef. Whatever you choose to pursue, Allegro Cozumel places it right at your fingertips. Beach Volleyball, tropical bars, restaurants, and nightclubs keep life on land exciting, while the on-site dive shop and big-game sport-fishing charters offer a gateway into the dazzling marine sanctuary of Cozumel’s waters. And when you awake the next morning, after a relaxing night’s sleep in your comfortable guest room, you’ll find there’s even more to explore, because the adventure never stops at Allegro. For the young ones, there is plenty to do from building sand castles alongside the beautiful powdery white sand beach, get physical at the amazing kid’s multiplay covered playground, catch some giggles at the water park, or take advantage of the many activities offered by the Kids clubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Barcelo and Travelocity so you can book your Allegro Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Allegro Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Allegro Hotel
- Occidental Allegro Resort All Inclusive