“okay resort, dive shop the best” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Dewey, Oklahoma
“okay resort, dive shop the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

You are greeted by timeshare sales people, so watch out. Watch out for the iquanna poop everywhere. If you are scared of big lizards everywhere better go somewhere else. The rooms are okay not much room for suitcases for two and your clothes but its okay. The beds are as hard as rock' the hammock was much more comfortable. Eat early if you do a night dive cause nothing to eat after 9 or so. Not much night life while we was there needs a bar by the beach and pool to stay open past 6. The pro dive shop is great have gotten to know them quite well over my past trips they even remember your name from 6 months earlier a++ operation great people. Great sandy beach. Overall not a bad place especially if you want a great dive operation

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Polish first
Oklahoma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We took a family vacation to Cozumel Allegro with my parents and our 3 children. We chose the Allegro because of the beach and the water park. Check in was a nightmare. I had requested 2 adjoining rooms because we have 3 small children. When we arrived I was told they didn't offer adjoins rooms and my husband and I would have to be split apart. After arguing for a long time we finally were given adjoining upstairs rooms. The resort is beautiful and the beach was breathtaking. This is where it stopped. The air conditioning did not work very well so we sweated the entire time we were in our room. The birds at 5 am everyday on top of our roof was awful. There is no privacy in the top floor rooms because of the thatch roof. Rooms seemed very small. Our maid was great but for the rest of the employees, they were overworked and unhappy and not friendly. It was hard to get anyone to get you ice or even a drink for that matter. The food was awful very little selection . We had rented a van and ate out everyday. I am not sure how people like the food here. I have been to lots of all inclusive and this was by far the worst. They only would have one bar open at a time and one bartender. Service was just nonexistent. The waterpark was only on 2 or 3 hrs a day. Kids club never opened and it was next to impossible to get reservations at the restaurants which other guest said they were not any better than the small Buffett. We loved Cozumel but would never stay at the Allegro even if it was free.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. They need a major facelift.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Tacia30
Gabriela S, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Tacia30

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor

We apology for the inconvenience and delay you may suffer while you check in to assigned the room; we have some adjoin in rooms for some rooms category; sometimes depend of room category booked the assign is a little complicate. Our maintenance team is working to improve the air condition service for the rooms. I am sorry to hear about birds, because of our location the natural life are protected. In our thematic buffet service we offer variety of dishes.

We appreciate your review and hope to gives us the opportunity to serve you in the future

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed at the Allegro May 17-22. I don't see how anyone could not have a great vacation here. Everyone in the group I was with had a great time and we didn't leave the resort for three days and always found something to do. The black light show and fire shows were fun at night. The grounds on the resort are beautiful and well kept. Each day I was there I discovered something new while walking around the grounds. I wasn't a fan of the giant iguanas walking around but some people like that. Most of the people here were an older crowd there for diving and snorkeling which I guess is excellent but I didn't do that stuff - just swimming. The beach here is awesome and I've heard it's one of the best on the island. I could always find a quiet place to lay out. The sunsets are beautiful and different every night and you can walk along the beach a ways each direction since there is nothing located right night to the Allegro on either side. The food is OK. I'm a somewhat picky eater and a vegetarian and I still found something to eat every night at the buffets but I could see how it might not meet everyone's needs. If you want alcohol there are several bars located throughout the resort and they can make pretty much anything you want which my group enjoyed. The hot tub near the beach isn't that great but the pools are all good and the resort is a great place for kids with the playground and water playground they have. The rooms are pretty just OK - yes the beds are a bit hard. No one in our group payed for Wifi and we all enjoyed being 'cutoff' from the internet etc for a few days. I did watch the television which always had something good on if I was in my room. The ground floor rooms lack privacy which was fine for us college kids but if you are a family I would stay on the second floor although I hear they have leaks in the roof when it rains. The water pressure and hot water was fine while I was there which was great since I need a good shower in the morning. I was worried about bugs at night but I never was bit while I was there outside at night which was awesome. Overall you get a great bang for your buck as long as your expectations realize that this is not a 5 star resort but great if you want to just hang on the beach and not in your room or at the restaurant. I loved shopping in San Miguel - you can take a Taxi into town if you want and it's pretty easy to get back and forth even if the Allegro is about 20 minutes from town. I would definitely stay at the Allegro again - we had a great time. :)

Room Tip: first floor rooms lack privacy . get second floor if that's an issue.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lola F
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at several all inclusive in Cancun, Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen and until now have never been remotely disappointed. The entire stay at allegro was AWFUL, wrong type rooms, buffet food for breakfast and dinner that was so bad, we went to town to eat several times. I've heard about hard beds before and had not experienced them before. The beds were harder and more uncomfortable than the times I've gone camping in the mountains and slept on rocks. I found nothing about this resort that does not need changing. I could go on and on. My only comfort for the week was the GREAT TIME WE HAD DIVING WITH PRO DIVE.

Joe R.
Louisiana

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank JoeWRider
Gabriela S, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear JoeWRider
We appreciate the time spent to write your review on TripAdvisor.
We sincerely apology that we do not met your expectation, the hotel has a quality plan for facities and services; we appreciate your review and rest assured that the management will take into consideration to improve.
We appreciate give us the opportunity to attend you again in the future.
Sincerely
Petawawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Have gone twice now first two weeks of January and will be returning next year. As for bang for the buck its right there. We got exactly what we paid for. If you want five star then get out your wallet and pay for it. Ivan and the staff are great. Dave the new manager seems a little held back but will stop and talk. The grounds are the cleanest of the resorts we have stayed at and we have been to Jamaica, Puerto Vallarta x 2, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata. The food choices, taste and value are great. The first year we were three couples that were joined by my daughter by herself, my son and his girl friend and another couple. My son is a fussy picky eater and had no problem finding something to eat. We had three days before the kids got there and then a week of go, go, go. When the kids left the six of us had time to rest and recoup. This year it was just us three couples and except for the odd two or three hour trip to town just laid on our backsides and let the resort cater to us. Drink service on the beach was as efficient as could be expected. The best part is this resort is the right size. Go to the pool or beach at any time and you will get a chair. No getting up at six to go put towels on chairs just to be on the beach. Room was always clean. Want something or need something and ask for it and it was delivered. Went fishing and seven of the eight that went caught something. San Miguel is a friendly little town with lots to see and free shows on Sunday night in the town square. The airport is small and you get through customs in a reasonable amount of time. Twenty minutes to the airport from the Allegro. The time share people are a pain just outside the lobby, but growl once or twice at them and they leave you alone. The SCUBA diving people are great and there is lots of fish to see in the swimming area snorkelling. All the trips pick you up at the pier right at the resort and we were never charged extra other than for the fishing trip. Freddy and the guys at the bar ensure you have full drinks and even at breakfast they slid us the odd alcoholic drink we requested. Never had to wait in a line more than three to four minutes. Our intent to stay three weeks so we can have a week with the grand kids. The kids area and pool is fantastic and we have not seen anything close at any other resorts so I will pay the money to bring them here. If I have to complain it would be to soften up the beds but that said they are quick to add foam tops if requested. Being a little older resort, repairs are needed and are ongoing. Oh yea almost forgot Ivan don’t forget the pizza!!!!!

Room Tip: Upgrade one room. You get away from the main entrance and some bird noise and you get a fridge.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Garry C
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

First off I'd like to say that Cozumel is a beautiful place full of excellent people. I went down to Cozumel 11-18 May 2013 for the first time and met so many great people (vacationers, divers, and staff) - which made my vacation (alone) so much more fun.

The grounds at this resort are gorgeous. They spend an enormous amount of time trying to give vacationers the best visuals to go with their gorgeous beach. It truly is paradise. People like Xochilt, William, Umberto and the ringleader Diego make things happen for the guests and they make it look effortless. I miss you all.

Sadly the hotel was only 30 % full - a double edged sword.... it was super peaceful and tranquil...but the staff had been cut back and so were services: Only 1 a la carte hotel (Asian) offering and limited night life activities.

Accomodations on the visiter side are a bit dated and could use a decade or two updating but I was there to dive so I paid it little notice. There is an internet kiosk. NO wi-fi. Turn off your cell phone (3G mode) or you'll be in for a rude surprise when you get home. Again - no Wi Fi. Ask for a ground floor accomodation. Ask for a bed topper - unless you like it super firm. Be prepared to hear everything your neighbor does next door (from singing Saturday Night Fever tunes - yes it happened... to hearing them watch Big Bang Theory on TV.....Penny...Penny...Penny) you get the idea. Again I'll say I was there for the diving. The food was plentiful, and the staff is excellent.

Diving - AWESOME!!! Lee S for PRO DIVE was my DM and he is excellent. He may be moving to a different sister hotel next month so just remember that name - you won't go wrong. We had some of the most best trained and confident DM's. Some names that stand out for me:

Lupita - who manages the shop with an iron fist :) with "Turkish" and Joey.
Yu-Ying - huuuuge hug .... awesome gal with a huge heart and such a good instructor - she qualified me for my advanced open water - again huuge hug :)
Alex - Women want him, and men want to be like him lol Another great guy and instructor
Fritz - a very funny guy, sadly I didnt dive much with him
Marcus - a great guy and DM
and lastly but not least is Doug who is their videographer - he does up great presentations and DVDs of your dives on request.

If you're looking for a resort to "sun your buns", drinks crushed ice drinks, and melt your worries away... you cannot go wrong here. The best snorkelling, three pools, multiple hot tubs, a fantastic dive shop, the best beach in Cozumel, and the best staff await you.

Oh, and I highly recommend the "dirty monkeys" [Creme de cocoa, rum, cream, a banana, crushed ice]. Great for recharging after 2 tank dives :)

Cheers!

Room Tip: Ground floor - it avoids bird noises. Ask for a bed topper - beds are not plush No wi-fi. Turn...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Rob V
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my seventh and quite likely my last visit to the Allegro. Right from our arrival, things were not what I had come to expect from my previous dealings with this resort. To begin with, there was a mix up with the rooms I’d requested, even though I’d made my request months before my arrival (basically they booked 3 people into a one bedroom room without questioning me further). We were left to sit in the lobby while that was sorted out. They did find another room with two beds, but it wasn’t ready, so we hung out at the buffet until it was. On past visits, we were welcomed by the general manager personally, and had a fruit plate waiting in our room, along with an invitation to the managers’ reception…not this time. I guess we were to consider ourselves lucky to have two beds! It was not the warm welcome of old friends I’d become used to, but there has been a change in management.

The good: I thought the food had improved on this visit, though I’ve never had a problem with the food here. Mary Carmen and Gaspar made the best omelettes and eggs, and the mimosas were lovely. We didn’t have great wait service at night, getting stranded in the air conditioned room two nights in a row with NO waiter; we had to go to the bar to get our drinks, and our dirty dishes piled up. When asked if we wanted to sit in there on the third night, I said sure, as long as we actually had a waiter. I was promised two waiters, as well as the fellow doing the seating (not a head waiter, but a guy in a yellow shirt). We did have better service that night and each following night.

The beach and grounds were as beautiful as ever. Our rooms were clean and fairly quiet.

Some of the staff is really fantastic, especially Armando and Carlos at the bars and Osman and Sergio at breakfast, and Carlos at lunch.

The bad: About six days into our ten day vacation, my mother became very ill. The paramedics were called. They examined my mum and confirmed that she was not breathing well and prepared to take her to the hospital in San Miguel. While all this was going on, a few managers came along and milled about. The ONLY one who expressed concern was Anabel Cruz. The other two never even introduced themselves—and I’m sure they were much higher up on the management hierarchy--just stood around awkwardly as my mum was loaded on a stretcher (interestingly enough, a man was brought to the same hospital from the Occidental Grand the next day, and the Grand had sent a representative of the hotel along with him and his wife). Very long story short, my mother ended up in intensive care and we had to stay in touch with the insurance company regarding her situation while staying at the Allegro. This is where Ivan Chan and Sareli deserve major thanks. They put through SO many 1-800- calls for us. Thank you both. Other front desk staff were NOT so obliging, and were in fact downright rude and hostile, making an already stressful time much worse. We had to buy the wifi this time around, to stay in touch with our children and our employers, and found it to be mostly a nuisance. It was very slow, and it was awkward to log in and out of on an iPad.

It’s too bad, but it just didn’t seem like the Allegro I knew and loved.

Stars: My husband wanted to leave 2, but I thought it deserved 3, because the food had improved and Anabel, Ivan, and Sareli were very kind, as were several of the wait staff, who asked after my mother often.

P.s. If I could leave a review for the San Miguel Clinica Hospital, I'd give them 5* easily. My mother ended up hospitalized for 2.5 weeks, and the level of care from all of the staff was simply amazning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family