“it could. have been better!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
“it could. have been better!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

the resort is nice and the beach is great but.... out top floor suite next to the pool
needed some help! When it rained it leaked
water all over! The pullout bed that we had to use had at first had no mattress and was
replaced with a small lumpy old twin one!
The poor person using it !

There was late hour noise by the pool and security had to be called. The shows were
not as good as in the past visits! The activities seemed to be dominated by one man who always came along late and ended up winning at least three or more times so that wasn't fun. Raul and all were
friendly and Freddy the bartender was
like no other!

the Oriental restaurant was very good as was the service! Breakfast was the best meal with lots of choices!

Overall stay was okay but not much to do at night. Next time we will try someplace else as this resort could be updated.
It does have its ups and downs but the staff
tries and succeeds in working hard and pleasing guests.

• Stayed February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Flowomen
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Flowomen,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to provide your feedback. It seems you were able to enjoy our resort and food offerings. I have shared your comments with the team about the friendly service you received form Raúl and Freddy, they are very happy to hear from you again! We enjoy providing a memorable stay for our guests.

On the other hand I am sincerely sorry for the annoyance you encountered with your room, on occasion we will experience leaks due to heavy rain, but our maintenance and front desk team are always ready to repair or solve any problems and typically does so in a timely manner. Our rooms are designed with an authentic tropical ambiance and some are made with thatched roofs. I've reviewed your feedback with our housekeeping manager in order to keep our rooms in top condition.

Regarding our entertainment and daily activities, I will address your comments to the manager, as we are always looking for ways to better serve our guests.

Again thank you very much for your valuable review and we hope you give us the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (869)
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Allegro Cozumel does not offer a lot of culture or outings [too many cruise ships in port] but it is unbeatable for pure relaxation. Nice natural sand beach, free snorkel gear and Hobie cats, calm water, free drinks... your hardest decision is whether to stay on the beach or go in the water; which place to eat, or what to drink. Great scuba just offshore; snorkeling, para sailing and yacht trips available.
They will try [and maybe succeed] to sell you a membership. The weather is always 84 and sunny. Bring sunscreen and maybe flea repellent for sand fleas if you walk along the mile of wild beach.
No good snorkeling off the beach, but the Columbia reef is close, as is the Palancar.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor [palapa roofs]. All rooms have hammocks. Stay away from the kid's pool unle...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the Allegro many years ago, when our girls were little, with our extended family of ten. I have such wonderful memories of that trip so I was really looking forward to taking my family of four, including our daughters ages 17 and 19, back to the Allegro for spring break this year.

After reading many of the reviews I must admit that I was a little worried. We have stayed in many all inclusives, are very casual travelers and we definitely don't expect anything fancy.

The location of the Allegro is absolutely beautiful. It is so amazing to be able to walk either direction on the beach without seeing another hotel! We had reservations for two rooms but I had requested a room closer to the beach so they put us in a First Club room and it was very nice. It was actually two adjoining rooms with a king size bed and a fold out couch.
The only problem being that the fold out couch was so bad that the girls slept on top of the couch cushions. They're young so it worked out but it would have been unacceptable for an adult. We asked for a foam pad a couple of times but never got one. The housekeepers ended up putting sheets on top of the couch cushions which was nice.

The staff was wonderful. The front desk, housekeeping and everyone on the restaurant and bar staff, all work so hard and always with a smile on their faces. We weren't bothered too much by the lines but they are definitely short staffed. There is no reason that you should have to wait in line that long. The lines for lunch and the beach bar was especially bad.

Although the hotel is definitely run down and need of some care and upgrading, the facilities were good and very clean. Our room, the pools, the restaurants, and the common areas were all good.

It's not part of the Allegro, but I can't say enough wonderful things about the dive shop! The location is amazing because it's so close to the resort and everyone working there were great. My husband has been diving many times but our younger daughter was doing her certification dives and as a mom, the time and care that Lee took with her was so important to me.

I had read many reviews about the food before we left but we kept telling ourselves that we're not that picky and it will be fine. It wasn't. Breakfast was pretty good but it's so disappointing to walk around and not find anything you really want for dinner? Nicely presented but just not very good. Lots of "mystery" sauces with meats and vegetables, undercooked chicken, overcooked meat and buffet trays filled with casseroles without much flavor. Once again, it doesn't seem that hard to have more fresh items? I don't think fresh guacamole is too much to ask. We ate in town one night and had some great tacos and burritos that were simple but so good because everything was fresh. We kept telling ourselves that it shouldn't matter and might be better the next day. The food does matter when you're on vacation and it just wasn't good at the Allegro.

We had a wonderful family vacation but the next time we go to Cozumel we will probably stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the beach are quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnieMay24
Fargo, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

Let me start by saying we travel to warm tropical places at least once per year and have been to Mexico, Domincan Rep, Jamica etc about fifteen times in the last fifteen years. We typically stay at 4.5 star resorts on trips funded by my employer and we have never brought our kids along. My father-in-law paid for this family trip for the whole gang. Our four kids (ages 4, 7, 10 and 12).

The kids loved the all inclusive go anywhere / eat anything features that are not particilar to the Allegro but special non the less. MY 7 year old loved meeting new pals some that didn't speak english which he tought was pretty cool. They do a great job of keeping kids active with the Kids Club. We didn't check our kids into the Kids Club but they did pop in on their activities from time to time (soccer, painting, water polo, volleyball etc).

Our older kids loved playing water polo and meeting other kids their age. The place was crawling with kids so we didn't need to entertain them constantly. The snorkeling was great. My wife and I stayed at the Allegro in 2001 and remembered the water as being very calm. This was important for us as we wanted our kids to be able to play in the ocean. Other resorts in other locations have waves that will crush your bones or sweep you out to sea. Our 10 and 12 year olds were out there for hours on end following flounder, rays, little colorful fish and the sea anomae and eel wrapped in the coral about 50 off the waters edge.

We took Catamaran lessons from Robin and were totally comfortable in takign it out on our own after his instruction. They kyaks were fun as well for the little ones were weren't comfortable in sticking the snorkel in as their only breathing method.

I am still at the resort now with plans to vist a natural park called Chaunkanub, a date with parasailing and a scuba trip planned for Thursday.

We did run into one little snag but David, the on sight manager promptly visited our room and resolved the situation. Their staff were very attentive and we are happy overall with the property and it's servcie.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the lobby can get wifi internet but are also closest to the theatre / skits. T...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JasonB58102
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

We had only 1 day of rain and it was a disaster in our room. We had water all over the floor and the bed was all wet. My husband had to sleep in the bath and I went to sleep in my sister room for the night. We change room in the morning, but the most funny thing they put somebody else in our room and they didn't fix the ceilling. We paid for activities with Maryse and Wilburth from Nolitours and it was not what we ask for. We we're suppose to go sming in a Cenote and it didn't happen. They said it was Wilburth mistake but they didn't do nothing to compensate. For the tour with the Katamaran it was the samething, they said they didn't have enough space on the katamaran, they made to much reservation. If you want to do activities, don't make reservation with Wilburth and Maryse, the're not well organise. You need to have at least 3 restaurants à la carte to say that you're a 3 stars hotel. You only have 2 restaurants, the Mexicain and the Oriental. The resort is fantastic for family and kids. The food was very good, but you need more bars open, whe had to do the line up all the time. The bar at the pool, was not fantastic too, we wait like 15 min, the guy was there but never came. And it was everday the same. It was a chance that we we're a group, we had alot of fun together, but for a couple it's not the place. We we're very desapointed of the resort, but Cozumel was very nice to see. We will be back for snorkeling but not at Allegro Cozumel.
P.S: Sorry for my English, I' m french so my writing is not very goog.
Monique

Room Tip: Take the room near the beach, they have new ceilling.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Monique 1523,

Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your experience through Trip Advisor, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of Cozumel and the quality of food that we offer at Allegro Cozumel. However I’m sincerely sorry for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay.

Our rooms are designed to provide guests with an authentic tropical experience and some of them are made with thatched roofs, it may happen that we experience leaks due to heavy rain, but our staff works strive to repair or solve any problems in a timely manner. I’m happy to hear that we were able to offer you a room that met your needs. I've reviewed your feedback with our housekeeping manager as our team is usually very diligent in keeping our rooms in top condition.

I apologize for the issues you had with Nolitours excursions, which is a service provided by an outside company, I have met with their Manager to share you feedback and see if they could find ways to better accommodate guests.

I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lack of service you experienced at the bars. I have addressed your comments to our Restaurant Manager in order to better coach our team and prevent any future occurrence.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

well we went from march 22-march 29th
we usually do mayan riveria 5 stars,,but for this week,,the prices were very expensive,,so we have never been to Cozumel..so we lowered our standards and here is my review
from Toronto flew with canjet,,was very good,,upon arrival,,they took us to the hotel which was approx. 20 minutes with extened mini vans..our checkin was at 3pm,,but got there early,,front desk gave us cards for towels for the day,,nice of them,,front desk,,very friendly,,,for the kids,,this is a good resort..kids playground,,kids waterpark,,there was one mishap about the kids club,,,we left our son one afternoon with the kids club,,,,,,,and we awere at the quiet pool,,and than we see our son walking with another family with kids to the beach WITHOUT the kids club Worker,,,,,mind you that family with kids that my son walked with to the beach we knew,,but that's not the point,,,,the kids club staff should of let us know,,but other than that,,they treayed my son great,,gave him a anecklace,,my son is 5 and loved it there,,,,,food was ok...but like others have mentioned the lineups..OUCH....would suggest to get to the breakfast buffet right at 7 am....I saw lineups approx. 7.20 and on .....also for lunch,,only the snack bar had lunch,,and that opened at 12,,,again people were lining up at 10 minutes to 12 to get a table and than huge linup for that,,,but it was nice of the staff to put tables on the grass outside the snackbar..here is a tip....while people are waiting in line,,,,would suggest to walk to the tables where there is grass and just order a drink from the waiter and than go inside to get your food,,,beats waiting in line,,,,,dinner again be there right at 7......when we were finished our dinner ,,saw lineup of 20 deep for dinner buffet,,,now to the bar lineup,,,,,people were upset,,it opens at 10 am,,but opened at 10.15 beacuase the bartender was doing hi s prep,,cutting lemons etc....would say in the morning usually would be 10 deep for a drink,,,,,but at times another bartender would come and say,,anyone just for beer,,which was cool,,,as that line was for beer,,made the linup smaller..noltitour rep told me hotel was full,,but the bar by the kids club was never opened,,,that would of sure helped...as other people have mentioned,,they are undersataffed.....now to the room,,,,we choose the bottom room..due to the reviews of the leaky roof,, tip...email the hotel for your requests a week before you go,,thats what we did to get bottom floor,,,,room was small,,,,and the walls were very thin,,can hear the next rooms conversation,,,,also if you have your drapes open...everyone can see,,,,,these windows were terrible..what they need is a shear for privacy..don't understand why the shear in the bathtub,,but not at the windows,,,tip,,possible to take sheer from bathroom to put in window for privacy... another tip..if your looking for shade at the beach,,good luck....tip there is approx. 15 umbrella trees for shade and people were leaving there towels on the at 6am and before,,towel hogs they call them......so we never had shade at the beach,,so stayed at the quiet pool where we found an umbrella,,,,
so in conclusion...the 2 bad things about this resort is lineups and the rooms walls being paperthin and no privacy...

Room Tip: wouyld choose bottom floor room and away from the disco as it got loud after 8pm
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Munich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

From arrival to departure it was obvious that the whole staff of the resort was dedicated to making the stay as enjoyable as possible. Especially true for the very friendly crew from the hospitality desk who went out of their ways to organize some truly memorable trips to the main land to visit ancient mayan sites and a remarkable biosphere reserve. Special thanks to Diego from the crew.

The whole resort is very well kept, clean, with lots of green, trees and flowers. Several pools are available for children and adults as well as a hot pool right at the beach, a good place to enjoy the beautiful sun sets. Spectacular white sand and turquoise water at the beach, chairs are available in sufficient numbers, the beach is fairly packed with rows of chairs and would benefit from arranging chairs with more space in between or more sun shelters. The staff from the dive base is very friendly, too and boat trips to Palancar for divers and snorkelers are available several times per day. Just 10-15 minutes to go by boat, the reef is truly spectacular and as snorkelers and divers are on the same boat the snorkeling trips take as long as the dives.

The rooms are located in one story buildings in typical style. My room was comfortable, not quite newly renovated but well kept and clean, air condition working well, a small patio in front of it. No security problem with keeping electronic equipment and valuables, a simple safe is available in the room.

The food was decent, especially breakfast and dinner, the special reservations at the Oriental and Mexican restaurant very recommendable (two per week of stay).

Last but not least some shows which are presented for night entertainment are very enjoyable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo