“Mexican Paradiso”

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 22, 2004

I cannot understand all the bad flack I am reading about this hotel. I
had a great stay Jan 10-17. Here is a reality check for all you
complainers, you are not traveling in the US. So if you want US
standards, with big rooms go to Disney world or stay home. How much
time do you spend in your room anyways. The value for the money is the
best
( even better than Cuba) Buffets were excellent, (especially for breakfast, the Mexican restaurant excellent. The grounds were so nicely groomed
( the smell that is prominent in the morning is that they are watering with ground water that hash sulfur, its good for the plants and being environmentally responsible so stop wining it dissipates in an hour or so. Sure the nightly entertainment was a bit hokey but this is not Las Vegas. The Beach, the best on the West side of the island no matter was resort you stay at. Advise, rent scooters they are fun, and you can go into town. Tip people, be nice it won't cost you lots, you will be rewarded with excellent service. The Guacamole was the best in the world, the juice bar excellent, whirlpool great to have, TV great. The beach is patrolled by their own so its safe. Snorkeling at Dive Planacar the best ( do the 3 place dive, shallow, medium and sea wall expeditions. This hotel is good value for your cash.

Dan Bellisario Toronto Canada

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Allegro Cozumel

San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 12, 2004

Cozumel is beautiful and the snorkeling is great, but this hotel really put a damper on our vacation. This hotel has some huge problems and really needs a management change. The staff is rude and very unhelpful.
No matter what you ask them, their first reaction is always "no, we can't help you with that". This is not the reaction you expect at a supposedly 4 star hotel!

I could go on and on about problems we had here. Let me just give you a list in the hopes that it'll at least make you think twice about staying here...sewage treatment stench, phone calls to US from room $29.50 -- no toll-free calls and public telephones don't work, hot water intermittent, all water shut off sometimes without any warning, main restaurant food was just ok -- gets very old after a few days, they make it really difficult to go to the other restaurants and they're barely any better than the buffet, sales people from the sister resort, Occidental Allegro, acost you every time you enter the lobby, water sports are only free for the first half hour, jacuzzi warm intermittently, sand fleas (not necessarily the resort's fault, but can't they spray or something?), no transportation to town -- $15 per trip by taxi each way, moldy smell in room, leaky air conditioning, thumping disco music till all hours in front of resort (I had to choose between a room that smelled horrible and disco music keeping me awake at night), many room phones don't work, etc, etc. Oh, did I mention the rude front desk staff? Btw, they won't even give you change in dollars (they're always out somehow) and they give you pesos at an exchange rate of 8/9 to 1 dollar and they'll yell at you if you question it.

In short, don't go here.

• Stayed: November 2003
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2004

You land on the runway and the heat in the air can't help but put a smile on your face. Once you find your luggage, you scramble to find your vacation representative who by the way speaks at best, broken english. Be sure to get some rest on the plane because upon arriving at the Allegro, check-in becomes a gruling and tiring task (be sure not to get in line with hotel manager because you'll stand around for a couple of hours!) There was no bellhop to help us with our luggages and no welcoming committee. My husband and I carried our luggages halfway through the resort until we got to our room. Be sure to ask for the 1st floor rooms because the 2nd floor rooms are made of hay and straw (very inviting to the insect wildlife!) The room is nothing to write home about but it was clean and spacious enough to spread your toys. We never saw any unwanted guests in our room however did smell dirty water from our taps (expected given its Mexico)...just bring some deodorant soap and you'll be fine. The morning buffets were by far the best meal of the day...fresh omelettes, toast, fruit, pancakes, french toast, cereal, etc. If you went upstairs for lunch, you were guaranteed to see some variation of the same food for dinner. So you may opt to stay at the pool restaurant and munch on tortillas and fries. (FYI -the meat was hard and vainy and the chicken was always dressed with some creamy sauce) We recommend Caruso's restaurant where you can eat a decent meal and make sure you book it more than twice despite what the rules say. The beach was by far the best on the island. We went to look at the Grand Occidental and the Iberostar. Although the latter resorts were recently built, the grounds resemble a jungle, the beach was inferior and the front staff were no better than that of the Allegro. The only staff that was helpful was the cleaning crews and the social activity staff. During the day you must find time to swim with the fish in the calm and beautiful waters, play beach volleyball with North American opponents, scuba dive and soak up the sun. In the evenings, watch the shows but be sure to venture to the city to feel the culture, or just to go eat at Carlos & Charlie's. Have fun and don't take the reviews too seriously. P.S. There was no sewage plant behind the hotel!! The waste filtration centre that you vaguely see at the hotel is the same one you will find at all hotels.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2004

I've just returned from the Occidental Allegro on Cozumel on January 3rd. I had a fantastic vacation. I won't ramble, but I'll give you the good, the bad, and the ugly. What I found to be good was the beach (amazing), the water (crystal clear), the snorkelling, the service (except the front desk), the food (especially the a la carte restaurants), the drinks, the weather, and the grounds. There were lots of activities going on all the time from snorkelling tours to bingo to beach volleyball, to scuba lessons, you name it. There wasn't much that I wasn't happy with. The things that I didn't care for were the rooms (these are what I think prevent this from being a 4 star resort). They are very basic, a bit musty, and there's a good chance you may see a few creepy crawlies (but there's that chance anywhere south really). The front desk staff is very unaccomodating (probably because they deal with rude tourists all day everyday, but that's not really a good excuse). Some parts of the resort need repaving, the road is old and cracked in many areas. You will never get an oceanview because there are timeshares on the property and they have all the oceanviews. There is not an abundance of nightlife at this resort either. It is definitely not a party place. The nightly entertainment was o.k. Some people loved it, others didn't. Depends what you like. It seemed to be geared toward families with children. A couple of "must knows": rent a car and tour the perimeter of the island (the east coast has breathtaking scenery), San Miguel is an interesting place (though very expensive because the cruise ships stop there), book the a la cartes more than once (we did even though they say you can't, just do it at separate times), the snorkel excursion to 2 reefs is well worth it, there are lots of Canadians and Americans at this resort and not very many other nationalities, there is specialty coffee that is served at the Mexican and at the piano bar daily in the p.m., each day there is a resort "newspaper" that details the times and events for the day which is helpful. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to email me. I would recommend this resort to anyone who considers themselves a "beach person" and also to anyone who enjoys scuba diving (it's supposed to be among the best in the world for that).

10  Thank Vresovac
Reviewed December 28, 2003

Checked in to a crowded lobby on 12/20/03. Surrounded by people complaining of their room or lack of. Got our 2 rooms, even though they appeared to be overbooked. Went to room, old and rather dingy looking.
Had read past reviews and went back to see general manager and expressed my concern and offered to be moved to another resort since overbooking was obvious. Much to my surprise, he said he would see what could be done in the next day or so. I continued in a calm fashion, unlike most in the lobby, to express my concern. Next thing he is one the phone with the Iberostar resort, where two rooms were secured by him for us. He called for a taxi and we were on our way to a much nicer facility. We perhaps lucked out. I think all should view the "Apple" rating with extreme caution. We have stayed at two other 4 apple rated resorts which were far superior, the Iberostar is rated 4 golden and was by far superior.

3  Thank JimNJ
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 27, 2003

I went to Allegro from Dec.22-27...Apple Vacations gives this hotel a 4, and Funjet gives it a 5..I give it a 3...the hotel itself is not all that great..the rooms are small, old and in real need of improvement...the plumbing is not all that great, on our last day there was no water so no one could take showers, or use the bathrooms...the drinks are watered down and the food was ok(same thing every day)..the best restaurant was the Italian, but if you go to the Mexican ask for their "special" coffee..there was never any problems with getting reservations even though the hotel was really overbooked...the best thing about the hotel is their beach...they have the most AMAZING beach ever...the water is crystal clear and the snorkling is wonderful...the staff is GREAT!! everyone was really friendly and helpful..If I were to come back to Allegro its only because of the beach otherwise I would never come back again..I hear the Grand Cozumel is the best

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 27, 2003

Yes, just like you, I sat here reading the reviews AFTER we had booked our trip. I got a bit nervous reading the negative reviews. First off, everyone has different expectations. If you are looking for an upscale, quiet place to relax with all top notch ammenities, this is not the place for you. If you are going with the focus on diving, family fun, etc... then this is hard to beat. The dive shop is GREAT. You can walk from your room to the dive pier in 5-10 minutes. This is the only way to experience a true "dive vacation." We talked with several divers from all over, and even the most seasoned diver was in agreement that the dive shop/staff and dive masters are all top notch. We walked down the beach and to the much newer Occidental Grand. We toured the facility pretty thoroughly. Very nice, but very quiet. The beach there is tiny and not at all flat. If you will be diving, the dive boat from the Allegro will pick you up at the Grand. Although much newer and nicer, we preffered the more lively atmosphere of the Allegro. Not one person on the Allegro staff was rude, in fact everyone was downright friendly and fun to talk with. The buffet food was consistently decent, easy enough to find good items daily. The specialty restaurants were excellent, although it is true, you can only dine at each once per stay. The snack bar is just that, greasy fried snack foods. We did bring large insulated mugs and they were nice to have for bar drinks, but not crucial. The rooms are old, dated and the shower went from cold to scalding in the midst of a shower. The phone, TV and A/C all worked no problem. The room was cleaned every day and always stocked with NEW bottled water. I will admit that when we arrived 12/14/2003 the place was very enjoyable at around 30% capacity. The following Saturday instantly went up to 100% and there were now lines at the buffet, bar, etc...It was much nicer with less people! The piano bar is a great place to have a "happy hour" drink or two before dinner.. You would be best to avoid the timeshare presentation. They are fairly high-pressure and in your face. I work sales and handled the situation sternly and swiftly. But here is the deal... When you pass through the main lobby into the courtyard area, there are staff members that will try to hook you with a "welcome packet" or a cheap rate on a rental car. It's too late before you realize that you are in for a 75 minute sales presentation. You would be better off to avoid it before it starts. Do not get hooked for the cheap car or welcome packet and you'll have no problem. Overall, we met some great people, had a great time and the diving was superb...We agree that we would go back...If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me!

10  Thank TomRoy