“loved this place!”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My family stayed here Jan 4th-11th. Our group was my mom and dad, and myself along with my two siblinges ages 19,21,& 23. We had a great time! My family stayed in two seperate second floor rooms and they were perfect. We got up usually around 8 30 to eat breakfast and were in bed by 11 so most of the time we weren't in our rooms anyway. The walls are pretty paper thin so if you can't sleep with noise bring ear plugs. Other than that, our rooms were located right in front of the kids pool and we slept fine. People have also been complaining about the beds but we all slept on them just fine without even asking for a pad.
The food was pretty good, it was a buffet so you ate alot of the same things throughout the week but we didn't really care about the food, thats not what we were there for. If you want a better selection come earlier to when they first open to get better options, if you wait till the end you might be disappointed with selection.
The beach is GORGEOUS white sand, and beautiful clear water. My family snorkeled a few times and we saw a few colored fish off the shore where you could snorkel for free. There were always plenty of chairs, and the bar is very close to the beach. The bar is literally right on the beach, and my family never had to wait for more than a few minutes.
All of the staff work incredibly hard, and were always there to offer some type of assistance.
My family didn't really like the oriental dinning night but loved the mexican.
The time share sharks outside of the lobby can be kind of annoying but you just need to brush them off. If you want to rent a car or book an activity go to the guys by the tennis courts, that's where we did ours. Overall, this was a great great, and we would for sure go back again!

Room Tip: we stayed on a top level room, and it was perfect for us!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Erin D
Write a ReviewReviews (4,718)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My sister, my daughter and I had a really tight budget and picked the Allegro based on that on a "last minute" trip. Boy, did we luck out !!! We left Toronto in bone-chilling temperatures the last week of January and arrived to the warmth of the sun and the people of Cozumel. The Allegro is obviously one of the older hotels and could use a bit of touching-up (uneven steps to the upper units with some railings out and some gaps in the roofing needed filling in) but it's gorgeously tropical and the grounds are beautifully maintained. The birds are so funny with their evening and early morning clacking, chirping, squawking - you get used to it pretty quickly after spending your day out in the sun and water. You're about 20 minutes out of town, but also feel like the only resort along the beach - loved that we weren't crowded in with many resorts.
My sister had injured her leg just before our trip and we were provided a wheelchair to get her around - with that assistance her leg improved through the stay.
Switch to pesos early - you're going to want to tip all the terrific folks as they go the extra mile to make you comfortable and it's easier with the smaller bills.
See the island. Snorkel off their pristine beach. Horseback ride across the street. See San Miguel and check out the shops ($15 cab ride). It's all there for you to see and do on this marvelous island.
Do make sure you request a foam topper for your mattress as the beds are incredibly firm.
The food is nothing to write home about, but nice and fresh and plenty of it.
Relax and lay back, settle into the Caribbean mind-set and enjoy !! ***You want super-fancy? You'd do better at a more expensive place.

Room Tip: These are two-story and we asked for the upper level for view and quiet, but it rained the last day...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank JillandKayandCas
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Imagine our "surprise" when a 6' long crocodile races across our beach into the ocean not 25' from where we were swimming!!!! He swam for 20 yards and then dove under the water. Lifeguard went crazy whistling folks out of the water. We were in the designated swimming area. This was around 4:30pm. Scared us royally. Other than that trauma, we enjoyed our stay at the Allegro. The grounds were pretty and well maintained. The rooms are old and smallish, but clean and adequate. The food at lunch and breakfast every day was exactly the same and disappointing. The main dinner buffet was the worst. Service was exceptionally poor in the dinner buffet. I had to wonder if they were grossly understaffed? The food was marginal at best. We did have one fantastic meal which was at the Mexican restaurant. Service there and food were both wonderful. For weather and sunshine I rate Cozumel an A++......however, I will not be returning any time soon. I guess we've been spoiled by nicer places.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to the best you can afford.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Dana M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My sister and I just got back from a week in paradise at the allegro. We were treated wonderful, the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay the best! From the ladies who cleaned our room to the folks helping us find things to see and do in Mexico. The customer service man even went into town on his off time to talk to a pharmacy that I thought over charged me. We found a great friend in Diego, he helped with tours, car rental and even brought us an ice chest to keep in our room all week! There was food available from breakfast until 11 pm. All food and drinks were always available at no cost. I just can't say enough about this resort, we were treated like queens and have now come home to reality, but will never forget our dream vacation!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room with a nice tub and shower, beautiful surroundings and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank scisorsmth
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I had stayed at the Allegro when it first opened 20 years ago (then a Diamond Village Resort). It's just as great!

Resort is spotless. Rooms were clean and not run down. We didn't need to upgrade as everything was fantastic.

Staff was the friendliest I've ever dealt with on all my vacations. They went above and beyond to make sure you were enjoying your stay at the resort.

Beach is fabulous! Lots of chairs available at all times, and even around the pool, especially in the afternoons when people would leave the beach and choose to chill by the pool instead.

The food wasn't like it used to be, but we never went hungry (lots of choices and different theme nights every night), and most importantly, no one got sick. Our best meal was the BBQ night organized by our tour operator. We only tried one of the à la carte restaurants (Mexican) and loved it.

The activities staff were fantastic!! This was the first time I ever participated in activities while on vacation. They were just very pleasant and fun to interact with. Variety of activities to please everyone. Special thanks to Christian, Fernando and Irene for the great times and laughs.

The pools were great and we even enjoyed the kids water park.

Cannot stop raving to family, friends, and co-workers about what a great place this is. I loved it so much, I'm booked and heading back in seven weeks! Can't wait!

We would however, recommend that they perhaps keep one side of the resort to families travelling with children. When a child is crying all night or up at the crack of dawn, it justs puts a dent in your vacation.

The Guest Services Manager, Ivan Chan was the best representation of the hotel. Excellent service. Always with a smile. And goes out of his way to make sure you're happy and enjoying your vacation.

See you all in a few weeks!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank Cat K
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was unsure of what I would experience at the Allegro Cozumel after reading the reviews. I am not sure where they stayed but I must say that my husband and I had a fantastic week at the Allegro Cozumel. First of all, thanks for the upgrade in accomodation as we had a beautiful villa facing the ocean!!! The room was small but had everything we needed (yes it could use a little updating but nothing spoiled our comfort). The room was clean, Karla our cleaning lady was fantastic, the bed and pillows were comfortable and we enjoyed the patio outside our room to sit in the evenings. As far as the food was concerned...NOOO complaints. The two a la carte restaurants were fantastic and the buffet was plentiful, fresh and lots of variety. Fresh omelettes and eggs every morning was a bonus I didn't expect. Staff....THE BEST!! A special thanks to the Guest Sevices Manager, Ivan for all of the extras he provided for us. The dining room and bar staff were more than friendly and very efficient! The pools and the grounds were kept clean and we enjoyed 3 of the 4 pools (no kids so we didn't use the kid's pool...but will bring grandchildren here in the future). Over all we had a great stay...don't hesitate to book this resort...great value and a great time! Thanks to all of the staff who made our stay so enjoyable...we hope to return again some time soon. Guy and Terry

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms as some upper rooms did leak when it rained.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TerryCap
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Had a great stay! Raul was amazing! Must visit the spa! Yardara (spelling ?) was the best!! Clean rooms, clean beach! Good food, great drinks at the bar! Excellent staff! Would definitely go back! ..................;..

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family