“A great relaxing week at the Allegro!”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed January 16, 2013

So many different reviews had us a little nervous heading to the Allegro Jan 5 to 12 for the first time. We travelled with our 9 year old boy and chose the resort mainly for its kid friendly appeal.

We shouldnt have been worried, the week flew by and we had a great time. But, here is the kicker I always say up front - if you have a tendancy to be uptight, fussy with detail, expect U.S style restaurant service, are impatient and have finicky food issues - this place is not for you!

We always leave with the motto its what WE make of it. And with that in mind, the three of us had a blast.

We loved the beach, the young fella loved the beach vollyball (thanks to all the people who encouraged him and high fived him through good shots and bad!) I enjoyed snorkling off the pier and found a a small patch of coral with enough fish to keep me amused for an hour at a time, the pool (s) were great and the resort itself was kept neat and tidy. Yes it could use some TLC here and there but it really didnt worry us at all.

Breakfast was pancakes and toast for the lad and we always found something good to start the day. The omlettes/eggs cooked to order were fantastic. Fresh juice, cereal, fruit always on offer and the coffee wasnt too bad. No complaints!

Lunch - bit of a challenge for the lad, after a week of hotdogs and fries, Im not sure he wants to see either for a while! The cook was always cooking some kind of meat or fish fresh on the grill so I always tried that and wasnt disappointed. Nachos/guacamole was awesome and loved the hot hot hot salsa that was offered at every meal. Salad bar seemed pretty good too. Lunch is always in the open beach/pool restaurant so its a little informal and quick. If the waiter didnt get our drink order - no probs, went to the bar myself which was 20 feet away! No problems and no complaints.

Dinner? Again, buffet style with lots of choices. Lots I didnt try, some I did and enjoyed. The roast turkey was good, the roast beef (overdone but who cares) was good and always a staple of vegetables done this way and that. Our fav meal was the Oriental, we found our choices were tasty and the young lad ate everything here. Mexican was good too though the lad wasnt too fussed to eat much till desert.

We agreed to rent a car for one day and check out the island - so glad we did. We had a long fantastic day of exploring at our pace. Renting a vehicle is easy, right in front of the hotel there is a rental place for small convertible cars and jeeps if you like. We headed down to the eco park and climbed the lighthouse (wickedly good views), saw a family of mexican bear (looked like an anteater) a couple of crocodiles and plenty of iguana's. We spent a good 2 hours in the park checking out everything - well worth the effort.

Then we continued around the coast and eventually found the bar called Coconuts. Very cool place. Loved the resident cockatoo who did an amazing trick (go and see for yourself!) and the noisy macaw screaming for attention. The young fella loved the resident cat and dogs. Next stop the ruins and spent a good hour checking out some history. The road took us directly into Cozumel and spent some time shopping - the missus bought silver jewellery - Im told its way cheaper here in Mexico. Then the final stop for a late lunch at a place just out of town called the Money Bar. Nice burger for the kid and the missus and I shared the Chicken Nacho which was delicious. Cant beat the view from the deck either!

All up, with the rental, food/drinks, entry in the parks etc, this cost us about 150 US for the day. We found this day just perfect.

So our week was thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing and the 9 year had a blast. He enjoyed an hour or so every afternoon at the waterslide where there were always other kids to play with. We went to movie night a few times in the outdoor theatre and enjoyed the movie and popcorn.

Our room was right next to the kids waterpak so we were able to sit on the 2nd floor balcony and watch while sipping a late day beverage. Nice. Room was small and neat, didnt spend alot of time in there so no issues. Bed was hard - missus and junior loved it, me not so much. Oh well. A few noisy party goers wandering back to their rooms woke us up one or two nights but thankfully it was never an issue. The a/c worked well. Beware, yes the upstairs rooms share a common roof which means the noise travels perfectly from one room to the other. Our neighbours were polite but I can imagine it may be tough given otherwise. Pack earplugs just in case!

Would definetly recommend this hotel to others but not if you have any of the hangups mentioned up top!

Room Tip: Were in the 32 block upstairs overlooking kids pool. Had some passing party noise late at night but...
1  Thank Murray B

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was my 4th trip to Cozumel and 3rd different resort in the last 2 years, and was easily the most disappointing. The low rating I'm compelled to give is based primarily on 3 factors: the food and dining choices, the alcohol quality and bar choices and staff, and the lack of night-time quiet at a place that supposedly caters to families. The food was the worst of any all-inclusive resort I've ever stayed at. I'm not just saying this because of the intestinal problems I suffered on my final day thanks to ingesting one of the always undercooked burgers they seem to insist on serving on a daily basis, but because nothing I ate in my 5-day stay ever indicated resort-type quality. From the blandest sushi you could every taste at their Oriental restaurant (I've had sushi from Sam's Club that put's it to shame - not joking) to the usually soupy refried beans that seemed to be made from yesterday's leftovers. Additionally, in a 5-day stay, you only get to make reservations twice at the Oriental or Mexican restaurants, leaving you to spend the other three evenings brushing the flies away from your desired meal choices at the buffet establishment. That didn't seem very all-inclusive to me, but maybe it was actually a blessing in disguise. I really can't be sure after the lovely glass of red wine I was served at the buffet restaurant that had foamy sludge floating on it and left chunks on the side of the glass when you tilted it (saw another carafe just like it in the lunch buffet restaurant a day later - a clear indication of the restaurant quality at this place). I don't think Gordon Ramsey could find enough expletives if he was forced to spend time eating at these establishments. If imbibing is more your thing, get ready to spend time in line at what is never more than 2 bars open at a time (usually only one) at this fairly sprawling resort, and then expect to discard a couple of drink choices until you get to one that tastes like what you actually ordered (they did seem to actually do a good job on the rum drinks, but I'm not a fan). What really did it for me was that I was in Mexico, and was served the worst tasting frozen margarita I've ever had, whether made by me or by anyone else, and the tequila they had was bottom shelf at best. These bartenders need training, they need consistent help behind the bar to keep things moving, and they need at least some mid-shelf liquors to serve like at most resorts. The noise issue was primarily due to playing the music a little too loud at times such that it could be heard from one end of the resort to the other, or so loud next to main pool it was impossible to relax or talk to your neighbor. Maybe I'm complaining too much, but when you spend good money on one of these resorts you should at least feel like you stayed at a resort. The one saving grace this place does have is their dive shop. Hans runs a tight ship and pulls no punches when it comes to your safety. If a dive master doesn't measure up, they need to find work elsewhere. Lindsey, an intern completing her instructor training, and Nozario where the best. I will never stay at this resort in the future, but the next time I come back, I'll definitely be looking to use this dive shop.

1  Thank Pete C
Sandra Alcázar U, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear Pete C,
Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to send us your comments. I am very sorry to read about your disappointment.
Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the lack of service you experienced at the restaurants and bars, our team is focused on providing the best service to our guests and it saddens me to know that we failed you; we have set up new measures to provide a faster and more effective service to avoid the lines at restaurants. Also, please know that we do not serve leftovers from other restaurants, our executive chef strives to provide a variety of food using fresh, high quality products, for breakfast we offer a large fruit bar with yogurts and nuts, an egg station that prepares fresh omelets, carving station, vegetables and a large variety of authentic Mexican dishes. I have addressed your experience with the burger station with our food and beverage manager in order to ensure that food is being cooked in a proper manner.

Additionally, please know that while the hours of our facilities do change during low-season, we still offer our guests a full-service resort.
Regarding the reservations for the à la carte restaurants, we have them in place to provide efficient and personalized service to guests. I am sorry if this was an inconvenience to you.

Thank you for your feedback on evening activities. Our Fun Club team does offer a different show every evening, such as dance lessons, a black light show and karaoke night. I have met with our Fun Club Manager to address your comments and see if there is more we can do in the evening.
We hope to have the chance of welcome you back.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

When we arrived at the allegro everyone was so nice. We requested an upgrade due to us staying at the allegro many times. It was done. We got closer to the beach so that we didn't have to carry our dive gear a mile to the dive shop. We were right next to the pool, which had advantages and disadvantages. The positive was we could find a pool spot before everyone. But the negative was the resort would have pool parties until late. When we had been diving all day, all I wanted to do was sleep. The music kept me awake two nights in a row. But I can't complain because it was a great experience! The food was good at breakfast and lunch, but some dinners were gross!! I don't recommend going to oriental night. I would go down to the square on that night. The room was always clean when we got back from diving, the fridge was stocked, but only of I left $2 on the bed for the maid. Which she deserved. They work so hard to keep everyone happy. I would recommend the allegro to people for the great beach, the nice people, and just the full experience of staying at an all inclusive resort.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Michaelyn_C
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Totally enjoyed our stay. Carolina at the front desk, and bar staff, Joel, Raul and Armando went above and beyond in making our visit great. The grounds, pools, restaurants and room was clean and well maintained. The rooms are spacious, but the walls were thin, as we could hear our neighbors, but it really wasn't a bother as we spent most of our waking hours at the pool or beach. There were plenty of chairs at both pool and beach. This was our third visit to this resort in the past 5 years and look forward to our next one. We have stayed at 2 other resorts in Cozumel but this is our favorite.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Maureen H
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We were at the Allegro from Jan.4th to the 11th. The hotel is very clean. We do travel yearly, sometimes two times a year. Mostly at the Occidental chain of hotels. What I did not like at this hotel was the food. In all fairness the breakfeast had many choices, launch: you could always save yourself with a nice plate of french fries. Night time was a torture, it seemed like they ( the hotel) were catering to fish lovers. If you don't eat fish: good luck. In comparing to other Occidental hotels there was no welcoming to repeat customers. Usually we've been always able to meet and talk to the General Manager. Also the trip in town by taxi eventually puts a dent in the budget. $ 17.00 US one way. I've heard that because of political reasons no bus service is allowed between the hotels on the south west side to the city. Apparently the taxi union has such a pull on the local politicians that no bus service will be allowed any time soon. Great grounds, a lot to do for families with kids. In all honesty I don't think I would go back. May be if I return to Cozumel it would be The Occidental Grand.

Room Tip: Try not to get a second floor room. Being the roof made out of palm leaves, many holes allow lizards...
2  Thank Frank M
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went to Allegro cozumel January 6-11...By the way "It was not long enough ".Plan to stay a minimum of 7 days but preferably 14 ! Our experience at "The First Club" as always could not have been better. Madeline and Danny go out of their way to make you trully feel at home.Madeline at her own cost and time even brought me some meds from town for my ear ache ! The staff at "The First Club" is second to none.The members party was a blast and the band was really good.The drinks in the club are all top shelf liqours,not the cheap stuff.We have been there too many times to count now but will continue to go back as long as Danny and Maddy give us the red carpet treatment !!!!Our room was nice,maid service was incredible,and the weather was perfect.We also used Pro Dive while there,those guy's and girl's work their tails off to give you great service and memories.Gummy profesionally cleaned ,dried,and stored all my dive equipment for my flight home.If I had to complain about anything it would be the hot tub outside of first club never is warm and has never seemed to work correctly in the many years I have used it.We are already planning a 2 week stay end of July.

Room Tip: Get with the First Club people and get a room through them..it is the only way to go ! If you don...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DennisTexas
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Allegro Cozumel from 12/23-12/30 on a vacation booked through Fun jet. I’ve been to six other all-inclusive resorts, including other Allegro properties, and this one does not measure up. Even entering reception, we felt what I can only describe as a grim vibe, unlike other resorts, where upon arrival you sense a fun tropical atmosphere. The desk staff were not particularly welcoming.
The entire resort seems like it has seen better days, and perhaps the staff is not treated well, because none of them seems too happy.
Room: Pretty dumpy, though the sheets seemed fresh and clean. The bottom of the tub was quite dingy. Shampoo is in dispensers and poor quality. No conditioner, so make sure to take some. In the week we were there, we were provided two tiny bars of soap. Lots of mold or mildew on ceiling in the closet area by the coffee maker and rusty sink. I know humidity is a problem in the tropics, but this was disconcerting. The ‘safe’ is a lock box; our passports which we stored in there were curled up at the end of the week. The blades of the ceiling fan were filthy, especially on top. No clock radio.
Facilities: When we arrived, the kids’ pool was empty. It was filled by Thursday.
The pool nearest to the beach with the swim-up bar was also empty and not filled until Thursday. There is what looks to be an obstacle course/fitness challenge which was closed the entire time.
Food: Normally, I don’t mind a buffet and can always find some nice veggies and hot dishes. Here the food really was not very good at all. There was always a wait to be seated at every meal. It was a challenge to get coffee in the morning or water at dinner (once or twice there was a server who actually came to give us refills, but sometimes we just tried to find a water pitcher to serve ourselves). There are plate chargers on the tables but these are not changed and they were often dirty.. One evening I took a portion of grilled fish that looked good, but was impossible to cut even with a knife. It had the consistency of a pencil eraser. There wasn’t a carving station or a fresh special. Another evening there was a roast pork, but it wasn’t sliced or portioned; kind of hard to get some with tongs. The only option for lunch was a sit down restaurant. No snack bar to grab something quick. If you’re hungry or want a little nosh between regular meal times, you are out of luck. Even the ketchup was a watery mess and the hamburgers were bad; maybe a lot of vegetable filler? I am not super picky about food and even I was pretty disappointed. It rained one day and the rain water was dripping through the roof of the lunch restaurant into the food containers. People wanting a break from the dinner buffet had a hard time booking a ‘restaurant’. When we were there the only one open was ‘Oriental’. Looking at that menu we didn’t even bother.
Service: Only one day was there a drinks waiter who came to us on the beach. The beach bar had just one bar man. Drinks are okay but the orange juice seemed more like Tang or something.

All the other resorts I’ve been to in Mexico have activities staff who chat with you and coordinate silly games and activities and let you know what’s going on. The theater shows in the evening were fine, but not well-attended because I think no one knew about them. Usually some one comes around and talks it up so lots of people go watch. Maybe they were understaffed due to the holiday.
The beach is lovely and we didn’t have problems finding a chaise longue. Despite everything, we made the best of it and had a nice time.
Visiting with other guests, we found there were a lot of unhappy people there who said they would never go back. If the price was rock bottom, maybe. But there are other places for the same price that are much better.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa G

Dear Lisa G,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments; I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your vacation in spite of the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay.
I’m surprised by your comments regarding our check-in and staff, as we typically hear positive feedback about their efficiency and service. I’ve shared your review with our front desk manager to ensure that this will not happen again. Guest satisfaction is our main priority and it saddens me to hear we didn’t meet your expectations in this area.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for the overall experience with your room. Our housekeeping and maintenance teams work hard to keep the rooms in working order to make our guests feel at home. I have shared your experience with the head of all departments involved and we will take action to improve. Please know that dispensers were added due to the high demand for extra shampoo, shower gel and soap . I’m sorry to hear about your discontent, I have shared your experience with the team and will look for ways to improve our service.
Regarding your comments about the food and service, please know that we have several restaurants open; Our buffet restaurant, which offers a large variety of salads, fruits, and different maxican specialties, open from 7:00 am to 10:30 am, the Snack Bar, that offers fresh sandwiches and salads, opne from noon to 4:30 pm and for dinner we have two a la carte options serving gourmet cuisine; La Troje – Mexican and The Oriental – Asian Cuisine which provides our guests with options to meet their own tastes, open from 6:00 to 9:00 pm. Your feedback is very important to us and will be shared with our executive chef and restaurant manager for consideration. Also, I am surprised by your comments about our cocktail bar because we constantly receive positive feedback about the service from our bartenders and the quality of their drinks. Please know that our team uses real orange juice, we do not use Tang or other artificial juices.
For our restaurants we use a reservation system in order to provide more efficient service to our guests and we are always open to welcome guests if we have tables available.
I am also sorry that the pools were not open during your stay. They were under a major renovation so that we could offer a better experience to guests. Renovations have been completed and the pools and, water park have all opened.
We understand the importance of entertainment and our Fun Club manager has been made aware of your comments. Also, I ensure you that guests will be better informed about our activities schedule by posting them at the Lobby and public areas.