So many different reviews had us a little nervous heading to the Allegro Jan 5 to 12 for the first time. We travelled with our 9 year old boy and chose the resort mainly for its kid friendly appeal.
We shouldnt have been worried, the week flew by and we had a great time. But, here is the kicker I always say up front - if you have a tendancy to be uptight, fussy with detail, expect U.S style restaurant service, are impatient and have finicky food issues - this place is not for you!
We always leave with the motto its what WE make of it. And with that in mind, the three of us had a blast.
We loved the beach, the young fella loved the beach vollyball (thanks to all the people who encouraged him and high fived him through good shots and bad!) I enjoyed snorkling off the pier and found a a small patch of coral with enough fish to keep me amused for an hour at a time, the pool (s) were great and the resort itself was kept neat and tidy. Yes it could use some TLC here and there but it really didnt worry us at all.
Breakfast was pancakes and toast for the lad and we always found something good to start the day. The omlettes/eggs cooked to order were fantastic. Fresh juice, cereal, fruit always on offer and the coffee wasnt too bad. No complaints!
Lunch - bit of a challenge for the lad, after a week of hotdogs and fries, Im not sure he wants to see either for a while! The cook was always cooking some kind of meat or fish fresh on the grill so I always tried that and wasnt disappointed. Nachos/guacamole was awesome and loved the hot hot hot salsa that was offered at every meal. Salad bar seemed pretty good too. Lunch is always in the open beach/pool restaurant so its a little informal and quick. If the waiter didnt get our drink order - no probs, went to the bar myself which was 20 feet away! No problems and no complaints.
Dinner? Again, buffet style with lots of choices. Lots I didnt try, some I did and enjoyed. The roast turkey was good, the roast beef (overdone but who cares) was good and always a staple of vegetables done this way and that. Our fav meal was the Oriental, we found our choices were tasty and the young lad ate everything here. Mexican was good too though the lad wasnt too fussed to eat much till desert.
We agreed to rent a car for one day and check out the island - so glad we did. We had a long fantastic day of exploring at our pace. Renting a vehicle is easy, right in front of the hotel there is a rental place for small convertible cars and jeeps if you like. We headed down to the eco park and climbed the lighthouse (wickedly good views), saw a family of mexican bear (looked like an anteater) a couple of crocodiles and plenty of iguana's. We spent a good 2 hours in the park checking out everything - well worth the effort.
Then we continued around the coast and eventually found the bar called Coconuts. Very cool place. Loved the resident cockatoo who did an amazing trick (go and see for yourself!) and the noisy macaw screaming for attention. The young fella loved the resident cat and dogs. Next stop the ruins and spent a good hour checking out some history. The road took us directly into Cozumel and spent some time shopping - the missus bought silver jewellery - Im told its way cheaper here in Mexico. Then the final stop for a late lunch at a place just out of town called the Money Bar. Nice burger for the kid and the missus and I shared the Chicken Nacho which was delicious. Cant beat the view from the deck either!
All up, with the rental, food/drinks, entry in the parks etc, this cost us about 150 US for the day. We found this day just perfect.
So our week was thoroughly enjoyable, relaxing and the 9 year had a blast. He enjoyed an hour or so every afternoon at the waterslide where there were always other kids to play with. We went to movie night a few times in the outdoor theatre and enjoyed the movie and popcorn.
Our room was right next to the kids waterpak so we were able to sit on the 2nd floor balcony and watch while sipping a late day beverage. Nice. Room was small and neat, didnt spend alot of time in there so no issues. Bed was hard - missus and junior loved it, me not so much. Oh well. A few noisy party goers wandering back to their rooms woke us up one or two nights but thankfully it was never an issue. The a/c worked well. Beware, yes the upstairs rooms share a common roof which means the noise travels perfectly from one room to the other. Our neighbours were polite but I can imagine it may be tough given otherwise. Pack earplugs just in case!
Would definetly recommend this hotel to others but not if you have any of the hangups mentioned up top!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Mexico’s Caribbean there is a tiny island just bursting with life – it is Cozumel and the Allegro Cozumel. Right on the famous Sand Francisco Beach, two worlds of adventure co-exist: The Fun-in-the-sun beach and the amazing undersea Palancar Reef. Whatever you choose to pursue, Allegro Cozumel places it right at your fingertips. Beach Volleyball, tropical bars, restaurants, and nightclubs keep life on land exciting, while the on-site dive shop and big-game sport-fishing charters offer a gateway into the dazzling marine sanctuary of Cozumel’s waters. And when you awake the next morning, after a relaxing night’s sleep in your comfortable guest room, you’ll find there’s even more to explore, because the adventure never stops at Allegro. For the young ones, there is plenty to do from building sand castles alongside the beautiful powdery white sand beach, get physical at the amazing kid’s multiplay covered playground, catch some giggles at the water park, or take advantage of the many activities offered by the Kids clubs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Allegro Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Occidental Allegro Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Occidental Allegro Hotel
- Occidental Allegro Resort All Inclusive