“Looking forward to our return”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #22 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed September 11, 2012

The staff are extremely nice and accomadating. Close to dive shop and awesome Dive instructors/Masters. We have been here as a family four (4) times. Priced right for the vacation you long. Kids stuff is plentiful and neat things going on all the time. You wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Pay extra to be away from entertainment if possible. It gets loud and rightfully so when the shows a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Peter G
Write a ReviewReviews (4,709)

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This was our first time at Allegro, we traveled mid August with our family of 5. We stayed in a two bedroom, 2 bath right on the beach. It was absolutely beautiful and spacious. Bedrooms were large with built in closets and plenty of drawer space.
Bathrooms were very clean and double sink was nice. Think our rooms must have been renovated not too long ago. Air conditioner was more than adequate. We had 2nd floor thatched roof, bird noise was minimal and it only rained one hour one day so I cant speak of any water coming thru the roof. We loved the rooms. Maid service was exceptional.
Beach was great, no drink service on beach but beach bar was steps away with Sergio or Alberto happy to make us whatever we wanted.
Resorts was probably 10% at capacity.
Watersports included kayaks and windsurfers. My boys would have like to try paddle boards but they were not available although they were mentioned in hotel advertisement.
We did not use the pools, main pool looked ok, kiddie pool looked rather dirty. Small pool near the beach was like 95 degrees but we were there for the beach so we did not care about pools.
Rope course was closed, again my boys were disappointed.
Due to low number of guests we were told ala carte restaurants were closed and that buffet would be ala carter. The food was ok, nothing to get excited about but the five of us always found something and never went hungry. There were times during the day when no food was available, 1030-12, 4-6, and after 930. We would have liked to be able to get snacks then as we were traveling with teenage boys who are always hungry! We did enjoy our time away from resorts ordering fresh, made to order mexican food.
Have Padi dive shop on resort was great. Our three kids got scuba certified. Everyone at shop was extremely helpful and took such good care of us. Lee was awesome!
We did not do any excursions thru resort, we were not bothered about time shares...weird but true!
We had some snacks and drinks in the first club, very nice. Think it is overpriced since that was all that first club offered, no other resorts or perks that we could find except one computer for first club members to use free.
Food staff was exceptional, very friendly and helpful. Drink staff was amazing, and I already mentioned how happy we were with housekeeping.
My family intends to return to the Allegro, it was a wonderful week. We did spent a lot of time with diving and plan to do that again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank M E M
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Old filthy place with discusting food an staff that demand a tip no matter if they deserve it or not.
Do a little research and pick a hotel that is NOT AI.
There are very good places to eat and free beaches with far better snorkling.
Also don't waste you money on group scuba/snorkling trips, they just rush everyone an you barly see anything.

Room Tip: Downstairs ONLY, upstairs are open to weather
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Krusty K
Customer S, Social Media Coordinator at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Krusty K,

Thank you for your comments. We truly value guest feedback. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay with us. Please know that our housekeeping and maintenance teams work hard to keep the resort fresh and clean. I will share your comment about the food with our Executive Chef who always appreciates guest feedback. It does surprise me to read your comments about our staff as they are dedicated to serving guests and usually receive great feedback. I have met with them to share your comments.

I truly apologize for the experience you had with the scuba/snorkeling trip. These trips are offered by a thirdy party agency, with whom I have shared your feedback. We are world-famous for our beautiful coral reefs and marine scenery. So, I am so sorry to hear that your did not get to immerse yourself in this underwater world. I sincerely apologize that your stay with us fell so short of your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again so you can experience the service, hospitality and aquatic beauty we are known for. Sincerely,
Sandra Alcázar- Social Media Coordinator for Occidental Hotels & Resort

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have been going to Allegro Cozumel since 1994. Many things have changed over the years. Some for the good some not so good. The quality of the drinks in the common areas has gone down over the years as they have added their FIRST CLUB where the liquor is of higher quality for a high upgrade fee. The grounds, beach and surroundings are great and the staff members are all very attentive. The shows at night are not as good as years ago but they do have something happening every evening. I just wish there was a bit bigger budget to restore the evening entertainment to the fun nights it used to be. If you are looking for a GREAT place for the family or for a couple this place is very affordable and if you are a diver or love snorkeling, you cannot beat it. We will come back every year til we can no longer travel! Would recommend it to anyone looking for a laid back vacation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Janet Y
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We've been coming to Allegro Cozumel for years and it feels like our second home as we're greeting by staff who recognize us and welcome us back. We continue to see updates and improvements in the rooms and grounds. It's laid back and relaxing. The food in the specialty restaurants is very good, buffets are plentiful but just OK...I think I'm not a buffet kind of person though. Of course the hotel is not the newest and sometimes things don't work quite well...what is impressive is the speed and efficiency that they are fixed when you bring something to their attention. They want you to be satisfied with your stay and it shows. The pier is convenient for divers and snorkelers to launch their day of adventure. The beach is so relaxing and we sleep like babies in the comfortable rooms. So it corny to have a towel animal on your bed left by the pleasant housekeeping staff but for some reason its still makes me smile. Writing this review makes me want to go back now!

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have a peaked thatched roof
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Deborah A
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a marvelous time at the resort! I am looking forward to coming back! The staff was amazing, in particular- Irene in activities, Jose, Mario, Alejandro, and Jessica in the VIP Lounge. I am so thankful for their presence and effort to help us in anyway. I can't wait to come back again. The activities and layout of the resort was great, we swam, played volleyball, ping pong, soccer, we had a blast. I will suggest this resort to all I know who are going to Cozumel. :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We were really disappointed with this resort. Having been to many all-iclusive hotels in Playa del Carmen and Cozumel we kind of know what to expect anywhere we go for the most part. This was the most expensive resort we had booked to date so we thought it would be at least as good as others we've stayed at, if not better. Not so. We actually ended up moving next door to the Grand Cozumel after three nights here. I'll list thoughts by category below:

Grounds:
Landscaping is well kept but the paving stones are very uneven in many places. It seems like it's been here for a while but it really is a pretty resort.

Pools:
The pools are nice but a little run down. The kids pool is especially fun - our kids (10 and 12) loved it. There were plenty of open chairs because of the off-season but the paving stones were especially uneven around the pools. Watch your step!

Beach:
This really is the nicest beach I've seen at a resort in Cozumel (we've been to 4 here.) The sand was clear and soft and the water was easy to enter and swim or snorkel in. Note that there isn't much to see in this area if you're an avid snorkeler. The staff at the activities building on the beach was great. The dive instructor took our kids out for a quick lesson and the young man renting the snorkel equipment was very sweet. No drink service on the beach that I could see but a bar is pretty close by.

Food:
Not great at all in the breakfast/dinner buffet. They would run out of things an hour before the meal was over and just not replenish them. We love to get the made-to-order omelettes but were told there was no cheese. Really? In the whole resort you didn't have cheese? The girl making them was very grumpy about it too. It was also strange as far as seating because the lights were off in the immediate dining area around the buffet and we had to walk through the dark room to get to the one they had open. The balloon clown on one night and the friendly staff (except for the omelette girl) was the only good part of that buffet.

The lunch buffet was slightly better but not much. The seating area had a nice atmosphere and the staff were great about keeping drinks coming. Food again was very lacking. The kids liked that they had hot dogs but they looked a little pink to me. Everyone was fine though.

We did eat at the a la carte Asian restaurant and it was very good. The kids loved the noodle soup and the fried ice cream and all of our entrees were great as was the service.

Staff:
The girl at the front desk was awesome! I want to say her name was something like Maribel or Mariel, but I have forgotten. I hope they know who I am referring to because she is just lovely. Otherwise, most of the staff were very friendly. It was pretty dead as far as any activities, so no one was really trying to engage the guests. That was OK with us but some may want more action in their vacation.

There are guys pushing to get you to do a tour of the Occidental for the vacation club but you will have that at almost every resort in Mexico. Just say no if you aren't interested. They are nice guys just trying to make a living.

Rooms:
Ah yes, the rooms. This was the real killer for us. The rooms are TINY! The beds are extremely firm mattresses on top of a concrete slab. There are no drawers anywhere for storing your clothes. Once you've unpacked and find a place for your things and your suitcases there is barely enough room to walk. The vanity is very small with barely enough room for your toiletries. The showers were old and the tile cracked with mildewy grout. Both ours and our other party's toilets smelled like sewage. We got moved our first night and it was a bit better but there were tiny bugs crawling all over the vanity in that room. There is no fridge or bottled water unless you have a suite. It wouldn't have been an issue if we got a really good deal but it was way more expensive than it is worth. It's like a Motel 6 at Hilton prices.

Once again, the majority of the staff here was great. The accommodations and the food are very lacking compared to other places we have stayed (The Melia and El Cozumeleño were better and cost less and the Occidental Cozumel was much better but does cost more.)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MakMama

Dear MakMama,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us, we truly appreciate and value your feedback. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff and their services and I have made sure they were recognized for it. However, I am very saddened to read that the rest of your stay was so disappointing.

Thank you for sharing the comments about the stones around the pool. Maintenance has been alerted to the issue and is making necessary repairs.

I apologize for your negative experiences with the buffet. It’s true that we do not offer cheese at the buffets, but rather only at the à la carte restaurants. Though the omelet server should have informed you of this and figured out another way to accommodate your order. Also, all food items are supposed to be replaced and replenished throughout all meals and I’m sorry if this did not happen. I have addressed all these points with the Food & Beverage Manager. Please know that we are currently in the process of updating and enhancing our buffets, adding new seasonal items.

Regarding your first room, I am so sorry for the showers, though I’m glad to hear that we were able to move you. Each room is equipped with one closet where our guest can place their clothes. I apologize if this was not enough space. Front desk is always available to work with guests on finding solutions to such issues. Concerning beds, we do have mattress pads available upon request and I’m sorry if you were not informed of this. I have talked to the front desk to ensure that they inform all guests of such extra amenities at check-in. Regarding the bugs, we do frequent fumigations to limit their presence. However, our tropical location and status as an environmentally friendly hotel makes it impossible to completely rid the resort of wild life. I am very sorry for the inconveniences this caused.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again and show you an amazing time. Sincerely,
Sandra Alcázar- Social Media Coordinator for Occidental Hotels & Resort