“my fun trip”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed March 4, 2012

line up to line up to line up but get your timming right and little or no line ups
water staff would realy like real maple syrup if you go
got kids good place lots for them
hate kids too bad you were one once you know
learned how to sail
rented a car had fun (with full coverage ins. theirs of course)
great place ,clean, safe, friendly and good weather

Room Tip: ground floor good no stairs if small kids second floor cool with thach roof but could leak also c...
4  Thank paul z
There are newer reviews for Allegro Cozumel

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Our family of 4 enjoyed our stay at the Allegro Cozumel very much.
The rooms were comfortable and very clean.
The food and drinks were very good.
The beach was great.
All the staff made us feel very welcome and were most helpful in every way.
We hope to visit again, perhaps for a longer stay.

2  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We (2 couples, all in our 40's) travelled to Allegro Feb 25-Mar 3 2012 and had a great time.
We are all beach people and the Allegro beach is amazing. Soft sand, crystal clear water and it was never rough. (may have been our luck as the weather was fantastic too) There was never a problem getting beach loungers; no getting up at the crack of dawn to save chairs was a bonus!

Lots of fun playing beach volleyball, sailing the hobiecat and snorkelling off the beach.

Allegro is a smaller AI than many I have visited. A pleasant "neighbourly" size as it allowed you to meet many guests and staff. The grounds are well maintained. Rooms are a little small and dated but kept very clean with comfortable beds. We had ground floor rooms so never had to worry about roof leaks but did hear a few people complaining after a brief but heavy downpour.
The food was alright. You don't go to an AI for the meals! A few items were extremely well prepared especially the roast beef and both a-la-cartes. We always found something to our liking and all 4 of us have had to swear to diet and exercise upon our return.
We did a deep sea fishing excursion (recommend Yucatan fishing) and brought some of our catch back to the resort. The kitchen team at the snack bar did an amazing job preparing and serving it for us.
The Time-share salesmen are right at the lobby and entrance to the buffet and are quite pushy but we steered clear and politely said no which was respected.
If you are looking for a quiet resort with a great beach but not expecting 5 star accommodations, I would recommend Allegro.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank spartakate
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We stayed in this all-inclusive resort from Jan 28 to Feb 8 for a total of 11 days on a Westjet vacation package. Although in general, we were very happy with the resort, I have a few comments - both good and not- so- good for the benefits of potential travellers.

This was my first visit to the island. I was very impressed with the layout and the location of the resort. The compound is huge with many amenities including swimming pools, tennis courts, children play structures, a waterpark with a huge dump bucket and slides ,spa, laundry, ATM etc. The ground was well-maintained with workers constantly cleaning, trimming, cutting and mowing. It was very pleasant walking on the main walkway paved with inter-locking bricks especially after dinner, and listening to the many birds chirping away.

We found the hotel room practical and agreeable especially seeing the towel arts designed and left by the cleaning lady each time she cleaned the room -- it usually made us laugh and appreciative of her effort. We enjoyed reading and relaxing on the hamock outside the porch very much, that was -- until we got a whiff of disgusting cigarette smoke coming from our neighbors next door. Very often too,we smelled septic gas in the whole resort compound. What surprised us was that we did not have to use bugs repellent or anti-itch cream even once.

The beach is beautiful and the water is calm-- great for swimming and snorkeling. You can see lots of interesting fish while swimming or snorkeling just off the beach. I even saw a couple of stingrays on two occasions while standing on the pier. The sand on the beach is soft but it was very difficult to go for a leisure stroll especially the firm wet part is very narrow unlike those at most beaches in other areas like Hawaii, Costa Rica, Cancun etc.

Snorkeling on the island is fantastic. We rented a car and drove to a nearby beach called Corona. There, snorkeling is much better since we could see beautiful corals in addition to many beautiful fish even in very shallow water. There are washrooms. shower facilities and a small restaurant. If you do not want to eat or drink, you only have to pay $2 US to use the facilities. We also went on a snorkeling trip on a boat operated by Albertos off Iberostar resort down the road. We saw some beautiful fish including starfish, eels, turtles and flying fish in addition to beautiful corals. The corals, I might add is not as beautiful as those we saw in Jamaica. We booked the snorkeling trip through the Westjet rep., whom we thought should have been there only for the comfort and well-being of the Westjet travellers instead of peddling guided tours for other operators.

The tennis courts onsite were very well- maintained with tennis rackets and balls supplied by the resort. It is however, recommended to bring your own if you are serious about playing. I had a couple of pleasant games with a fellow Canadian whom I met at the resort. He and his wife generously let me use her racket.

We found the food in the restaurants quite acceptable. There were many varieties including grilled meats or fish, grilled vegetables, soups, fruits ( tasty papaya!), desserts etc. In the morning, I enjoyed having my easy-over eggs cooked by the lady chef at the custom-grill where you can also have custom-made omelletes. Her smile and skills were probably the reason why there were always long line-ups at her grill. Guests are also allowed to eat at the two a-la carte restaurants for a limited number of times. For a one-week vacation, you are allowed only twice and you need to book ahead at the front desk. We found the service at the two restaurants much better in addition to better food and wine selection and quality. We preferred the Mexican one not only because of the food but also the headwaiter was a pleasant, helpful and joyful man.

There were laundry, ATM, Internet service on site. We found the cost for Internet far too expensive. What we found ridiculous was that we had to present our passport to buy Internet time.

In summary, we found the resort management and staff in general very helpful and pleasant. Our stay was a pleasant one despite some negatives. We have no hesitation to recommend this resort to anyone keeping in mind that this is not a 5-star level resort.

Room Tip: It is highly recommended to bring US $1 bills for tips to the cleaning staff, porters, and so on. W...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank taijime
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed at the Allegro from Feb 17 to 24. It's my second time in Cozumel but first time at the Allegro Resort.

Beach: Beautiful beach with lots of chairs. Nice sand, no weeds in the water. Also nice snorkeling, although not as good as the Cozumeleno where I stayed last year. But if you explore, you will find some nice patch of corals with anemones and tropical fish.

Rooms: The bungalows are very charming. We were travelling with our 2 kids so we took a family room which is 2 connecting rooms with one King size bed and 2 double beds. Also has 2 batcrooms. If you are travelling with children, that's the way to go as rooms as small. We were on the second floor and never had problems with noise. You do here people talking outside but this resort is mainly families and divers. After 10PM, everyone is in bed and you will sleep well. And no, the beds are not to hard. I found them actually quite comfortable, especially if I compare to the Cozumeleno where we stayed last year.

Bar: Drinks are very good. Service as well. However there is only one bar at the beach so there is always a big line up.

Staff: Probably most friendly staff I ever see in a resort.

Food: Good quality. At first you might be dissapointed, however take the time to explore the buffet and taste. There is some really good stuff in there. Their ceviche is to die for...The A La Carte are goos as well.

Grounds: All is very clean, well maintained. Resort looks big but it's easy to go from one place to another. The Kids pool is the best! Even my 12 years old had a blast.

Dive shop: That's definately a 5 stars! Our dive master Remco was very good, friedly, professional as was all the staff that work there. Their equipment is top quality and of course the diving is breath taking. It's worth going to the Allegro just for that!

And on top of that, this is the most charming island in the caribbeans. Can't ask for more...

1  Thank Katelina
Reviewed March 3, 2012

My husband and I arrived at the Occidental Allegro on the evening of February 17th. We were warmly greeted by a number of staff members and later found out that they were the various managers at the hotel. Check in was a breeze, as we were very quickly processed and seen to our room with our bags.
The hotel gave us an upgrade because we had been married on that beach thirteen years ago. This made our week even more special at the Allegro.
We had the opportunity to eat at both the Asian restaurant and the Mexican. The food and the experience was great. The remainder of the week was at the buffet. Lots of choices, nobody would ever go hungry. The breakfast was fabulous. The omelets were fresh and always delicious.
To add excitement to our holiday, it was Carnival in San Miguel. We went to town Sunday evening and watched a fabulous parade with colorful floats and great music. Having traveled extensively throughout Mexico, this is by far one of the best beaches. I spent most days by the water. There was never a shortage of chairs. There is a great beach bar where Freddy and Carlos always greeted me with a smile. Staying at the beach allowed me to watch the dive boats come into shore and I could see my husband arrive back from his numerous dives. I was impressed with their well run and friendly operation.
Activities like volleyball, Spanish lessons, dance and cooking lessons were available to those who wanted to participate.
Thanks so much to Alberto, Carolina, Mariela, Raul, Ivan, Freddy, Carlos, Lara and all the rest of the fun and hard working staff that made our vacation special and memorable. The communication between staff members was excellent.
If you haven't been to Cozumel, you won't be disappointed at the Occidental Allegro.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the beach are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I have travelled to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Puerto Morales, Playa Del Carmen on more than one occasion and I must say the beach and water of the Allegro were the best, and the grounds were kept clean but that's the only good thing I can say about this hotel. There are so many bad things I could say but I'm going to narrow it down to this, bad to non existent food, drinks and service. It seemed as if you were not a mexican national you were ignored. I definitely will return to Cozumel but will not go anywhere near the Allegro. For such a great beach Occidental should do something about this hotel .

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Jlrd63
Carolina I, Assistant Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Jlrd63
I appreciate your feedback concerning your stay with us. I am sad to hear that you were not satisfied with our food, drinks and service during your stay. The comfort and satisfaction of our guests is our greatest goal. I assure you that I have shared your comments with the chef and Food & Beverage Manager, who are working hard to reinforce our quality and quantity standards on food and drinks.
It surprises me to hear about your experience with our staff. I assure you that they don’t differentiate between guests, but value them all equally and with utmost attention. I will speak with them immediately about your comments.
I will be reaching out to you directly through Trip Advisor to talk about your feedback in more detail.
Sincerely