“We spent our honeymoon here!”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #24 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
calgary, alberta
“We spent our honeymoon here!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We had an amazing time. We loved that the setup was villas as opposed to apartments. The hot tub close to the beach was a dream. Lots of honeymooning couples there. the entertainment was so much fun, felt like we were in the movie "dirty dancing". We loved it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank world_observer_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Polish first
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Let me first start off by staying I was a little concerned about all of the reviews, but there is always those people that hard to please. Me and my wife are very easy going and can usually get past the little things. However from our first 15 min in this hotel we were not happy. When we first arrived front desk was very rude. We got there at noon and had to wait 3 hours to check in even though we were the only people in the lobby. Upon getting to our room the first thing I noticed was not clock( who cares your on vacation you don't need one). Second thing was more hard for me to overlook is there are no fridges in the room unless you upgrade to a suite. Hello its 90 degrees I like cold water. Our bed was just a mattress on top of a cement slab it was very hard. I went up to the front desk to ask for an eggshell mattress and the lady rolled her eyes at me. The food is absolutely the worst iv had in any hotel iv stayed at in mexico. The maids are very good at there job a dollar goes a long way at this hotel. Alex in the disco bar is great. Ivan in the event staff is probably the best at his job. The beach is good and has a lot of marine life on it. The first day I went snorkeling I saw a sting ray which was really cool. The rooms are really outdated. The restaurants you have to wait in line for a minimum of 20 min before you can be seated. If you want a beer or a drink get 4 because it takes 20 min to get served. all in all I would of rather gone to a different hotel and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed Feb 20th through Feb 27th, 2012

Room Tip: Only stay if you can afford the suite.
3 Thank Sean N
Carolina I, Assistant Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Sean N
We are very concerned by your review, and saddened that we did not meet your complete satisfaction. Please accept our apologies for the delay at check-in. Please note that our normal check-in time is 3:00pm. We inform all guests about this, as well as tour operators. If we do have rooms available and ready before that time of course we are happy to accommodate an early check in.
I am sorry that this was not that case and that our staff did not meet your expectations during the registration process. I will talk about this with the rooms division manager in order to verify, and will work with the front desk staff.
Our rooms do not include clocks, and standard rooms do not have mini fridges. Superior premium rooms and suites have mini fridges and the upgrade also includes other amenities and room location near to the beach (or ocean view).
I am also concerned by your comments about our food offerings, and I will address this with the chef. We are always making improvements and we are very sorry to know that we failed with you.
Our goal is to help you enjoy your vacation and we know that waiting for things is no fun on vacation. The line for the restaurant is done as a courtesy to provide a comfortable service to all guests, and typically does not take more than five minutes. We are adding more personnel at the beach bar where we noticed our guests are waiting in line.
Thank you for your feedback about housekeeping, I will congratulate them for their efforts. Also, I thank you for your comments on the beach location.
Once again thank you for sharing your experience.
Sincerely
Carolina Interian
Assistant Manager

Travelers are raving about these Cozumel hotels

Stroud ont. Canada
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We 3 couples Booked for 2weeKs Feb.4th/17th arrived late at night & were met on our arrival by Friendly & efficient hotel staff check in was a Breeze,& management kept the Restaurant open for our late arrival.(Nice touch) We found our rooms with no diffiiculty, Luggage at the door.Two couples on ground Floor,one on upper level. We had a Monsoon that night & there was a small leak in the upper level.a bath towel fixed that. Upper level units have thatched roofs (Unique). The next 2 weeks were sunny&hot..The Restauants are Good. Main dinning room can get hot, go to the Air conditioned section seperate from main. Staff are friendly & work hard A small tip goes a long way. We tried both specialty restaurants, Oriental Ok. wait Staff great, Mexiacan Rest. Great ,good food Flamming after dinner Drinks,Very good..Lunches at this Restaurant couldn't find any Fault except Burgers & pizza could be ...hotter...
The Beach is spectacular, clean &water is clear, Never once could we not find a Lounge chair on the beach or Pools (no getting up at 6am to secure a spot.....).There are plenty of fish you can feed right at the Beach(they like bits of bananna & bread... Service for drinks at your lounge chair is faster than the beach bar. We were going to rent a car to tour the Island & found accross the street a Cab stand & made a deal for a cab /driver for the day,cheaper so we had a guided tour for the Day.. If you have Children,the kiddie pool is like a theme park.
The grounds at this hotel are well kept, and it's fun to see the odd eguannas running around...Entertainment for both Children & Adults Ok. Good Value for both couples & Family...Find Egnassias(IGGY) & Alexandro wait Staff..They will make your stay enjoyable..

Room Tip: The bottom Units are easy to get to , the upper units have two flights of stairs & a vaulted cei...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Eric C
Lindsay, Canada

Great location and staff
Facilities were excellent - beds were hard as rock
Travelling as a group of 13, there were activities and excursions to meet everyone's needs and desires.
Carnival was on while we were there - well worth attending parade and lots of shopping in Cozumel market
Felt very secure on resort and no issues in Cozumel either.
Staff overall at the resort was excellent (a couple of issues reserving specialty restaurants and at check out)
Guest Services Manager - Restaurant Manager and Pool Area Staff were excellent in making sure our needs were met.
Fire show was great - could use more shows on the beach like that which did not conflict with dining times.
Overall best vacation we have ever had south at what we consider very resonable pricing.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank BigDaddy2454
Yarmouth, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed February 26, 2012

me and my girlfriend had a great time at this resort.the place was very clean and confortable.the beach was awsome.we went on the nemo bus tour of the island i would recomend this for all.the tour guide was very knowledgeable of the island and fun.this is a great hotel,lots of activitys and the staff are all happy and helpfull.i wish we had stayed a little bit longer.we were there for 5 days and did not get bored with hotel at all.this place is paradise !!!!!!!

2 Thank Derek R
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I have no complaints. I have been to Allegro before and have upgraded them from a four to a five star as they are making the effort in every way to make your vacation a great one. From maintaining the grounds to the incredible customer service. The beach here is fantastic and the water is the most incredible blue that I have ever seen. Crystal clear. Great reefs, great diving. Book the diving online at Pro Dive site and save 10%

Room Tip: As for a room near the Ocean and on the ground floor.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2012

I'd been to Cozumel several years ago and really had no desire to return. But it was on my husband's bucket list, so I agreed to return for his sake. We spent two weeks at the Occidental Allegro resort (Jan. 25-Feb.10/12) and were a bit apprehensive after having read some of the reviews prior to going. Once again, we've come to the conclusion that some people expect the Ritz even when they choose an all-inclusive resort.

When we first arrived, we were greeted by the Nolitours private check-in desk, with cocktails. Unfortunately our travel agent had not extended our request for a King-sized bed and we spent the first night in a room with 2 double beds and a promise to move us in the morning, which they did. The villas are double-storey with thatched roofs on the upper levels. The only thing I would suggest is that if reading the reviews before booking, make sure you ask for a lower room. The upper rooms have vaulted ceilings and the sound carries from adjoining rooms. Our room had a bit of rain on the inside on one of the nights when we had a heavy rainstorm, but the rest of the time we had no leaks or issues. Even the neighbours who had a party one night quieted down at a reasonable time, so we did not complain. The rooms were always clean and well stocked with fresh towels, soaps and bottled water. The cleaning staff was friendly and greeted everyone throughout the day.

My husband is an avid scuba diver and was very happy that the dive shop is on-site AND run by some of the best people he's ever dived with, in the world. He's already looking to go back, having been so impressed with the dive sites, as well. I've never known him to be as enthused or excited upon coming back from any one of his dives. It was a joy to see him so excited. And, I must add, he doesn't usually ask to return to a place, knowing there are so many other dive sites he's yet to discover. But, he wants to go back very soon!

The staff is excellent and would be the main reason that I personally would go back. I'm not a diver and would be much happier being closer to town, but some of the staff made our stay most enjoyable. In particular, we really liked Raul, who is one of the managers. Raul seemed to be everywhere, constantly looking after us, sometimes after a very long day's shift. And, from what I read in some of the other reviews, Raul gives the same personal touch to most guests. He went out of his way to ensure we were comfortable and was a wealth of information on "where can I find...?". We also really liked some of the bartenders/servers at the pool and the upstairs lounge, particularly Armando and Alejandro... or even Raul... all of whom often made us "special" drinks if we wanted to try something new.

The Activities staff were fun, too, encouraging guests to exercise or play pool volleyball or whatever was going on. I noticed that children, in particular, were well entertained. I wished I'd found such a place to take our children when they were younger. I enjoyed the hour long morning stretch exercises at a quiet spot behind the trees and away from the noise of the activity pool. And the water aerobics were fun, although they could have been longer than a half hour. The best instructor was Rafael, but he left to work at another resort. I found him to have the best exercise and stretch repertoire.

The day staff at the front desk wasn't overly helpful and often seemed overwhelmed even if there were only a few other people at the desk. I suppose if I had one complaint it would be that they NEVER were able to break large bills for me. If we exchanged US or Canadian dollars, they always gave us $50 or $100 Peso bills, which are very difficult to use when tipping and cab drivers often claim they don't have change, which is a pain. I got to the point where I thought it was me and that these women just didn't like me, but then, I'd go to the bar and someone would make change for me and all would be well. Nevertheless, there were two female staff, in particular, at the front desk who seem they might be happier working elsewhere rather than in hospitality.

The beach is excellent. Well maintained, clean and safe. The dive boats are kept on the opposite side of the pier so that swimmers are not affected by pollution or safety issues. I snorkelled right off the beach and saw lots of pretty fish.

I've read a lot of complaints about the food and was mind-boggled when we got there. The buffet provided plenty of fresh fruit every morning as well as stewed fruit, pre-made breakfast items, cereals, cold cuts and cheeses as well as a custom-grill where omelettes or easy-over eggs could be had. Lunch and dinner at the buffet always included a choice of meats, fish and veggies, salad fixings, soup, desserts, etc. I think that people forget that (1) they are in Mexico, not France, and (2) they're not at the Ritz. Sometimes there were a few things I didn't like... but there were ALWAYS foods I did like. I get the sense that those who complain about food at a resort are the kind of people who like to mound their plates with everything and expect to like everything, as if they have to eat as much as they possibly can to make the all-inclusive a bargain. I've not been to a resort on any island where ALL the food was excellent every meal. I have no complaints. In particular, I loved the fresh grilled shrimps they served on Friday nights... amazing! And, I enjoyed the chef who cooked the eggs in the morning... I loved her smile whenever I would order huevos rancheros... I always asked her to take the eggs off within a moment after she'd turned them over because I like them nice and soft... and, if she broke an egg, it would be rejected without being asked. Most mornings, the bacon tray would have slim pickings, but I noticed that on the mornings that I went for breakfast earlier or slightly later than the masses (busiest between 8:30-9:00), there was always plenty of bacon. But, even if I couldn't get all the fattening foods, the fresh fruit alone was impressive, with papaya, pineapple, bananas, guavas and many other healthy choices. The one thing we didn't like was the wine (other than the bottled wine served at the Oriental restaurant). Both the red and white wines were not good at all.

I loved that there were plenty of geckos and iguanas around the property, as well as birds. I noticed that some people were afraid of the iguanas and I wish the resort would post signs or information to advise that they are harmless, if left alone. Like all creatures, they will defend themselves if they feel threatened. But, generally, they are not animals known to be aggressive.

I should mention that my husband required medical services for a sinus infection and the doctor was very quick to arrive, excellent in his diagnosis and prescribed the appropriate medication, which he also was able to provide on-site immediately. We were most impressed.

If I had one wish, it would be that Cozumel would get a bus running from San Miguel to the south end of the island so that staff and visitors alike could travel back and forth to town without the hefty taxi costs. I think that's about the only thing that was an expensive and big disappointment for me. The hotel would do well to invest in a shuttle bus, especially considering their sister resort is next door.

Room Tip: Lower level rooms are quieter.
23 Thank TorontoOceanBaby