“Excellent Time @ The Allegro”
Review of Allegro Cozumel

Allegro Cozumel
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I just spent 10 days at the The Allegro resort... I have never done A/I in Cozumel, and have stayed at Casa del Mar every other time.

I chose this resort for several reasons:

1. I wanted to be away from it all – quiet and calm – little to no action and sounds of a city

2. I wanted a nice beach

The Allegro delivered on both of these very nicely.

My experience was overall good and depending on the price, I would go back to the Allegro.

Note: the difference between the Allegro and Casa Del Mar at the time I booked my trip was ~$67 if I recall correctly. For $67, it was an obvious choice to go A/I – all food/drink provided and a gorgeous beach to run around on. We had a car, and decided to eat a few dinners in town for a few nights – *excellent* meals at Rolandi’s, Pepe’s Bar and Grill, Ernesto’s Fajita Factory and Palmeras. The surprise of the trip was the margaritas and food at Coconuts - BEST meal hands down I had there - especially for the money (note: it’s on the east side of the island).

Since I booked my trip for after school started, there were very few children on the resort (yes, it was intentional). Since school was in, very few people were travelling and the entire island was essentially dead, which I think contributed highly to having better service at the resort.

Since the resort was so dead, they buffet was shut down and everything was a la carte – which made for much fresher meals – another nice perk to going in the slow season. Food was decent, the only thing I did not order a 2nd time was the fajitas – the meat quality was not so good. Drinks were a mixed bag – some bartenders made them stronger than others. I loved the drink menu, so many good ones to choose from – both frozen and on the rocks. Drink cups were an acceptable size, so we never used the ones we took with us. One note: the alcohol was not top shelf liquor, so you might want to take some Excedrin to deal with the cheap liquor headaches you might suffer from after you tie one on.

The rooms were a bit on the small side, but not bad. We ran out of hot water and water pressure one evening in mid shower and had to rinse off via cups of luke warm water out of the shower faucet. Several times after that throughout the week, hot water came out brown/yellow, then cleared up (no big deal, this is Mexico, right?)... The beds were hard hard hard - by the time I woke up on day 4, I had to request a pad on the bed, which made it completely comfortable. The pillows for the bed pretty much sucked, but we made due. Last thing, we did have an incident in the bathroom where the light fixture fell and came down on me... They came right out and repaired it the next morning.

Activities... Well, they had them, we just did not participate (we were diving the 1st four mornings). They had a clown doing twisty balloons one afternoon, which I thought was funny and strange at the same time, but kids would have loved it. They had Spanish lessons by the pool most mornings. They had “the crazy game” a few times, but I was never around to see it. There was one day they tried to get a soccer game going, but did not have any participants (one of the guys had soccer shoes on, I wanted no part of playing against a pro). I might mention that the hot tub by the main pool was not kept hot (but the members only hot tub was hot – go figure...) We did jump into the members only hot tub a few times and noone said a word to us. The music by the pool varied and the sound system was a bit lacking, and the poolside restaurant and the beach towel place were both playing music so they were stepping over each other. If you take a music CD or two, they might put your music in (they did for one couple and we really appreciated that)... There are kayaks and a small catamaran sailboat, we did not use them.

We saw two shows. On Friday nights they have a buffet dinner line by the pool with coco loco’s (they cut their own coconuts off the trees there), followed by the fire show (the food and show were really good). Another night, we caught the “Mexican” show, where they perform dances from different parts of Mexico and sport different styles of dress as well. I found it a bit boring so we bailed between dances and headed back to the bar lol.

One thing you might enjoy is getting 4-5 drinks, an extra plastic chair and head up to the top of the lifeguard stand on the beach to get a birds eye view of a sunset or two – great picture opportunity.

Last bit of advice for the Allegro, and I can not stress this enough TAKE BUG SPRAY. I will note that even near Casa Del Mar, mosquitos were horrible at night. Not sure about the validity of this statement, but I thought I read there was a Dengue issue on the island right now, so you definitely want to avoid being bit.

Diving... I know this is not Allegro related, but I once again used Dive With Martin and had a most wonderful experience. Being at the Allegro means NO ‘BEAT DOWN’ BOAT RIDES to the dive sites – I really LOVED that. We did four days of diving, for $470 for both of us – we were picked up at the Allegro pier every morning on time at 7:45 and they were great about communicating any changes. We got a complimentary video on day 4. The operator on the Allegro site was Pro Dive (who never responded to my emails prior to the trip), and I have no clue about their prices. They did a try scuba class in the pool daily.

That’s all for now, I can’t wait to get back to CZ, I will definitely consider staying there again.

Mark

Room Tip: Take bug spray for at night!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mcohen1021
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Dear mcohen1021
Thank you for your detailed review and stay. We are glad to know that you have a good time in our hotel. All your valuable comments about service, activities, facilities and food will be discussed with our heads departments in order to make improvements considered necessary. We do apologize for the water problem you found; we will work in the issue to solve it.
Once again, we really thank you for sharing your experience and for considering us as an option for your next visit.
General Manager Occidental Cozumel

There are newer reviews for Allegro Cozumel

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at the Occidental Allegro Cozumel the last part of August through the first part of September. It is the slow season right now so instead of wasting any food, it was "recycled" the next day or so. I may stretch it at home with some vegetables and fruits when they are at the end of their "life" but not if I ran an all-inclusive resort and am serving others. Most foods were cooked alright but it was the same menu for breakfast and lunch.
Yes, you have a few choices but after a week, it is boring.

There were very few staff members that stood out as friendly. It seemed to be an effort to get a smile or a Buenas Dias out of some folks. I believe most of them may have struggled with their English and were afraid to make the attempt to say Hello or Hola unless you make the first attempt.

The room was very musty smelling when I entered the room. I thought maybe because they had the a/c off and had just turned it on. Having the a/c constantly running did not help. Towards the end of the week I happened to look up where the spare pillows are stored in the closet and on the ceiling was mold. My room was on the bottom floor. I am not sure what was leaking but with the layout the closet would not be below a toilet or shower (I'm guessing). The roofs leak in many buildings (as I heard from other guests) so I am guessing it has leaked down into the walls. The pillows smelled musty and sour as if someone was sweating all day and laid their head on the pillow. I had mentioned this to the manager, and am told (by two resort staff members) that renovations will be starting within the next few weeks. They have budgeted for roof repairs and new furniture. The beds (mattresses) are new but are laid on top of a concrete slab (for support I guess instead of a box spring). Very, very uncomfortable and I had heard this from others in the resort as well. Again, the manager is aware and they are looking into removing the concrete slabs. The room I had was accommodating for what I needed. Plenty of closet space, room safe (which had the old style lock and key that you better not lose). The sink and counterspace area is separate from the toilet and shower area. There is also a small table for writing or having a cup of coffee. On the porch area there is another little table with two chairs and a hammock. The hammock was a nice treat to relax and enjoy the breeze.

About 95% (or better) of the folks that were staying there were diving everyday. They had a great time diving and the dive shop is on the resort's property...very convenient. I was there to relax and take in the scenery. The water was beautiful but day or night you better wear bug spray because the flies and mosquitoes will eat you. Having three separate pools for is smart. One activity pool, one relaxation pool and a third pool for children (during limited hours).

Depending on what you are looking for, this may or may not be the resort for you.

The internet is not free. A substantial charge for daily or weekly use is needed upfront and I was not the only one who had trouble connecting at times even though I was only six feet away from one of the antennas. Even though it shows a signal in your room, connection was not possible for me or another guest. You'll have to sit outside by the pools or in the resort's lobby to use the internet. The lobby is not under a/c so use the internet early before it gets too hot.

I was given a map of the grounds upon check-in and that day's activity sheet. I had to find out where to get another activity sheet for the next day. I discovered on my own that there is a t.v. channel that has the daily activities but once the powerpoint finishes typing out the English translation, it immediately goes to the next slide. I am not that slow of a reader so trying to get the days activities was a task in itself.

Alberto, the Manager, was very friendly, helpful and listened to my concerns but there is only so much he can do, I understand. The resort is 18-19 years old (depending on who you ask) and it definitely needs upgrades. The grounds are kept neat and clean and the housekeeping does clean the room well but how much can you do with mold and mildew until the leaks are plugged?

You can get snorkeling or kayaking equipment on loan from the resort after filling out some paperwork. There are artisan activities on site that you can partake in also.

They have movies in an outdoor theatre so make sure you bring your bug spray.

There are two areas indoors (under a/c) and that would be the Topaz Restaurant (dinner) and your room. For those who are in the First Club, you do have the little clubhouse but, at times, it was warm in there.

One big enjoyment of the week was the incredible people I met there. There were other guests that were interesting, friendly and acted like they knew me all their lives. They were a wonderful group who I hope to see again.

You get out of something what you put into it. I had a great time relaxing and meeting some new friends. The beach view was absolutely breath-taking.

Again, depending on what your plans are and check about renovations, this may or may not be the resort for you. The Occidental Grand Cozumel is next door and is more for adults and not the family atmosphere. I took a tour of it and it looks very nice. The two-bedroom I saw was absolutely gorgeous and has upgrades and higher quality. It seems smaller as far as the pool and grounds area but the foliage provided an incredible canopy that provided more of a rainforest atmosphere. This will be another review at another time.

Room Tip: I was in building 56 which is next to the snack bar/pool area and I did not hear any noise. Higher...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank cbatt5703
OccidentalCozumel, General Manager at Allegro Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2011

Dear cbatt5703,
Thank you for your feedback and recent stay. We are very sorry to know that some of our amenities were not at your complete satisfaction. First Club member area is having a renovation this season; we hope all members enjoy the changes. Unfortunately we do not offer free WIFI in the resort and we do have certainly areas where our guest can purchase time and use the connection. The check in information and hotel channel have been verified with the departments involve to correct it.
We really appreciate all your positive and constructive comments and I assure you we will take them into consideration in order to improve the service we deliver.
Once again, thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share your experience, we hope to host you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We got a really good deal on our stay at the Allegro. I would give it an overall good rating. There was plenty to do and the kids had a blast! My son loved the little water park and my daughter loved feeding the fish off the beach. The food was okay. It was much better at the reservation places than the other. The alcoholic drinks and coffee were not very good. I just stuck with sodas and bottled water the majority of the time. The rooms were adequate and the beds were really hard! The room staff did bring a pad for my mattress because my back was hurting and it felt much better.
The beach was nice and sandy. I was disappointed that we could only rent the snorkels for an hour at a time. If we go back to Cozumel, we will definitely pack our own snorkels for convenience. We went on a snorkel tour off Palancar reef and it was amazing! My husband went on a scuba tour through the hotel and he loved it.
My son and I had an enjoyable time painting pottery with a very sweet lady at the resort. She made it look very nice after she glazed it and did some finishing touches.
Overall, we had an enjoyable time and would visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a good AC. The first room we had was very hot, but they switched us i...
2  Thank Stephanie W

Dear Stephanie M,
Thank you for your comments and recent stay. We are glad to know that you have a good vacation with us but at the same time we are very sorry to read that some of our beverages were not at your complete likeliness. The dive center has confirmed to be more flexible with non-motorized equipment; it is too sad we were not aware about your situation with the snorkel gear during your visit and not be able to avoid your disappointment.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to host you back in the near future.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I'm just back from another great week. The staff at the first club is, as always, amazing! Karina, Isabelle, Catalina, Jorge, Jose, and Dionisio are an outstanding friendly team that make everyone feel welcome! The beds have been upgraded to pillowtops but still sit on concrete bases so it's still a really firm matress. There has definitely been improvement to the food service, the food was sooooo much better than our last visit. At everymeal there were very good choices that included fish, pork, chicken and even vegitarian options that were all very good!

8  Thank JenCli

Dear JenCli,
Thank you for your feedback and recent stay. We really appreciate that you mentioned part of the First Club team, I assure you we will share your comments with them and recognize their excelent job.
We thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to see you soon at your second home in Cozumel

Reviewed September 4, 2011

We have been to many all inclusives in Mexico and were a little worried about this one. There are just too many review comments about bad food. Also, we had not been during this time of year and were worried about the weather. It turns out that the time of year and the food issues are related!

We stayed at Allegro from 8/28/2011 til 9/3/2011. This is the beginning of the low season in Mexico so the resort turned out to be almost empty. We were told that it was 10-15% full with even less expected for rest of September. This meant that most of the chairs on the beach and around the pools were empty throughout the day. Nice for us. Sometimes, in the middle of the day, we were the only ones around a pool.

The weather was overcast about half the time and sunny with clouds the other half. Always warm to hot. It rained a couple of times very hard but only at night. The worst we saw during the day was a light short sprinkle. Never worse than a gentle breeze. This could get worse at this time of year depending on your luck.

The food turned out to be great. Because the resort was empty there were no buffets. Every meal was a la carte and cooked to order. There was never a problem with quantity. If you want more just order more. Because it was cooked to order the food was very good; better than any other all inclusive we have stayed at. Perhaps the complaints we have seen were about the buffets?

We met two young twin sisters working there who you should definitely get to know. They are both studying cooking in Ensenada and are a real delight. Their names are Rubi and Paulina. Look for them when you go. Tell them Ted and Carolyn say hi.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank sv_ted

Dear sv_ted,
Thank you for your kind comments and recent stay in our resort. We are very happy to know we fulfill your expectations and our service was at your entire satisfaction. We will transfer your message to our traning staff Rubi and Paulina and of course congratulate them for the great service they provide you.
Once again thank you for your review and for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to host you back soon.

Reviewed September 1, 2011

In June 2011 my husband and I booked a vacation at this resort for July. A couple weeks before our vacation we decided to get married while there on vaca. It was little notice but Ivan and everyone at the hotel went out of their way to make sure everything was perfect for us. We had a WONDERFUL stay and GORGEOUS stress free wedding. We were so catered to on our stay, we felt so special. I would definitely recommend this resort for vacation or a wedding!

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the pool and/or ocean
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ashleigh15

Dear ashleigh15,
Thank you for your kind review and stay in June and of course congratulation for your wedding…! We are very proud that our staff made a perfect day for such a special moment. We definitely share your feedback with all the team and recognize them for their efforts.
Once again thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share your experience with others, we hope to host you back in the near future

Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed Aug 5-10 with our two young children (2 & 4 yrs) and had the best time! We picked the Allegro because we had friends who suggested it and were themselves returning in August. We booked our trip to join them and did not regret it. I was nervous upon reading some of the negative reviews, but our friends assured us it was NOT nearly as bad some of reviews posted here. When we arrived I was very impressed with the well maintained grounds and crystal clear beach. Yes, the resort needs some pool renovations and updates to rooms, but for the price, it was perfect for our family.

The buffets were great. Breakfast and lunch were our favorite meals. Dinner was hit and miss but there was always a good selection of food to choose from. We were NEVER feeling unsatisfied after a meal! In fact, I gained a few pounds during our stay. There was even a good enough selection for our small children, who can be very picky. None of us experienced any sickness from the food.

The beach was breathtaking and fantastic for relaxing and snorkeling. Our little ones loved it and were fine with arm floaties and goggles. We never had to worry about big waves wiping them out.

According to some reviews here, I was worried we'd be waiting in 30 minute lines for drinks, but the most I ever waited was 5 minutes (on the Saturday we were there). The pirate pool was a favorite of ours. The bar there was not open for us adults but it was not a far walk to other bar. (After all the food I ate, I did not mind the exercise.) The last day we were there, a gentleman from the main bar actually came to the pirate pool and brought us two rounds of drinks. Hint: Tip, be nice, and you shall receive. :-)

The rooms were pleasant, clean and worked well for us. We had a downstairs room in front of the pirate pool. The "firm" beds that everyone talks about were not bothersome whatsoever for us. Our whole family slept comfortably.

If you are expecting 5 star, this is not the place for you. It's a 3 star (like it says) and the price is great for what you get. If you are simple and low maintenance people, you will love it here. With that said, we will definitely be back to the Allegro!!!!

8  Thank Bluebirdlove

Dear JJSJ76,
Thank you for your kind comments and recent stay. We are very happy to know that you have good holidays with your family in our resort. Your kind comments about pool renovations, dinner menus and bars opening will be discussed in our general heads meeting in order to make some improvements needed.
Once again thank you for your share your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to host you back very soon.