“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Value”
Review of Hostelito Cozumel

Hostelito Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 44 Specialty Lodging in Cozumel
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Great Room, Great Staff, Great Value”
Reviewed December 7, 2009

During my recent trip to Cozumel (November) I spent several days at Hostelito. Hostelito has a backpackers dorm with extremely low rates, as well as private rooms, that are exceptionally reasonable for Cozumel, especially when the location is taken into account as well as the size of the rooms. There is a communal area, part of which is open for sitting, reading and relaxing and is surrounded by tropical plants, statues and artwork. A covered area offers a stove, fridge, dishes, breakfast bar etc., as an amenity for guests staying in the dorms.

The room I was assigned was on the second floor, overlooking the common area, and was more like a suite than a hotel room. There was a kitchen, complete with breakfast bar, stove, fridge, microwave, coffeemaker and dishes, a sitting area with glass table with four chairs and TV (a lovely touch was a vase of flowers on the table when I arrived) and a comfortable double bed at the end of the room opposite the kitchen. A small bathroom, with shower (with hot water) completed my “home away from home”. There were two ceiling fans in the room as well as an air conditioner. Being November the fans were more than adequate to keep the room cool and insure a restful night’s sleep. The room was immaculate and I appreciated being asked upon arrival if I wanted my room cleaned every day or just when I requested. Being by myself, and not too much of a slob, I either notified the front desk, or spoke to the cleaning lady directly, if I wanted fresh towels, the trash emptied or the room cleaned.

All the staff at the hotel are friendly and helpful, and try their hardest to comply with all requests and rectify any problems you might find. The owner, Deyner Jimenez, is an exceptional young man, personable, friendly, concerned that his guests are comfortable and really enjoy their stay.

The location could not be better. It is on Avenida 10 Norte just a 20 second walk to Avenida Juarez and the start of the pedestrian only area that leads to the main Plaza. It literally took me only five minutes, pulling a suitcase, to walk to the ferry when I left. Stores, bars for the nightlife and restaurants (including the newer location of La Choza on Avenida 10, a great favorite of mine over the years) are all within an easy walk.

If you are tired of all-inclusives and the expensive taxi rides to go to and from town, then you cannot do better than staying at Hostelito. Clean, secure, friendly and their rates cannot be beat. You can contact them direct through their web site at www.hostelito.com .

My next (I think my 40th) trip to Cozumel, I will definitely be staying at Hostelito.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Xamen-Ha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Iowa
Reviewed March 19, 2009

I was very surprised by Hostelito! Our group stayed in the large dorm, which was nice and clean. We were given lockers free of charge with our beds, and the lockers were large and safe. The beds were sturdy and comfortable. The decor was modern and beight, and the hostel was quiet and clean, with helpful staff. It's also about 2 blocks from the main pier and the main square, which was perfect! I felt safe and welcome at Hostelito.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Merida621
California
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Amazing. This place has to be one of the cleanest hostels I have stayed in. Great staff, kitchen, location, price, & vibe. Since there were 3 in our group, we got a private room which was really comfortable and even nicer than some hotels we payed twice the price for earlier in our trip. We had a good look around the place and the dorms looked very comfortable too. I would recommend this place to anyone traveling, on a budget or not. It is certainly in the top 3 hostel experiences.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Mitraleb