Hostelito Cozumel
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
$504
$456
Hotels.com
All reviewsi stayed in a private roomroof terracecommunal kitchenplace to staystayed here for nightsper nightscuba divingdive shopdormbackpackershammocksisland
Reviewed September 26, 2013

My first experience in Hostelito was Ok, I stayed a week at the common room and it was ok,the bathroom was unkept but there rest was acceptable for the price. Now the second time I went this past August 14th, 2013 with a friend we decided to share a room upstairs for a lot more money, I believe it was room no. 3 it was one of the best rooms with kitchen a little balcony, sitting area and the bed with a window facing the vicinity or building behind the Hostelito. Immediately outside the back window there it is the roof of a 'vecindad', we didn't think much of it other than it was good cross ventilation but the window had no bars o lock and one steamy night me and my girlfriend were sleeping barely clothed and suddenly a man showed up standing by our window iluminating us with a flashlight and scared the hell out of us, I jumped out of bed and screamed: Who is there? and the man ran away climbed down the roof and into the next door housing complex. We were shocked and frightened to stay in the room. We called the night guard, and asked him to call the police, they came checked the room and within 10 mins the owner Mr. Deyner called and explained to us a very dodgy story. His story was he had already spoken to a special division of the Island police, and they told him the man that approached our window was an "undercovered" police officer investigating and searching for a murderer, which apparently was hiding in the complex behind the Hostelito. But Mr Deyner assured us everything was under control and he allowed us to change room to a cheaper available room because we were too afraid to stay in that same room where maybe next time instead of a flashlight the intruder brought a gun! It was an awful traumatizing experience, but we went to sleep to the other room and the following morning moved out of the Hostelito. I have traveled around the world maybe to about 56 different countries and lived in the US, Turkey, Nigeria, Argentina and I have never expaerience such an obvious breach of security anywhere else, and on top of it the owner's avoidance of responsibility and sole interest to collect the money for that horrible night in the Hostelito. Literally all he cared was that we paid the night, and he kept on repeating that it wasn't his fault, he had nothing to do with it, it was the police, and really there was no risk in his view. To me that was an absolute lack of responsibility because if you operate in the hospitality business and you run a hostel with room, the fact that one of the rooms has a window with an easy access to anyone,that's a security liability the owner needs to acknowledge and address- We felt abused not only by the unexpected intruder but also by Mr Deyner who couldn't care less about our horrible night for his narrow political mind only worry was to collect 550 pesos!! A shame and I'm obviously never staying there again.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Solesfine
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I spent 1 mouth at the Hostelito, and I truly advice it to everyone who plan to visit The Island: It's really well located, the rooms are clean and well accommodated, the service is excellent with good staff talking to you every day , asking if you need something... Juanito the cleaner is really friendly, and the owner Deyner is always available to help you and to recommend you the best thing to visit on the Island...
Really if you plan to go to Cozumel, don't hesitate to come at the hostelito. After my stay at the Hostelito I recommended it to three of my friends and they all enjoyed their journey there...
Thank you for all ! And see you next time in Cozumel !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carole L
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very nice room with kitchen for your use. Great staff! In a great place in cozumel! Geart for divers or people who just want to travel in the island.. The staff is great and makes you feel comfterble!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Lcoh
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

The rooms and dorms were quite good, no complaints about that. But the atmosphere overall was rather depressing, with low lights which didnt even allow one to read when its so boring. The stuff wasnt very helpful, and they actually wanted to charge extra for whatever was possible.
A friends' passport and money was stolen as well.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It is clean and beautiful. A kitchen and nice common areas to meet other travellers. The staff were very helpful and the hostel definitely made our weekend in Cozumel even better! It is safe and quiet at night. I'd definitely come back.

Room Tip: I didn't see the private rooms, but the dorms were good and had lockers.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends