“More delicious food than I could eat”
Review of Prima Trattoria - CLOSED

Prima Trattoria
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Full bar and out great wine list. A non Smoking Covered area, and a smoker friendly compliance smoking area set far apart from the covered non smoking area. Waterfall , palm trees, very cozy, family friendly and romantic place to spend the evening. Delivery Service to Town and all Hotels and Condos. Featuring our Western Fried Chicken from years past, back by popular demand, Texas Style, kettle cooked to order. Fresh seafood, and daily specials in addition to our regular menu, at very friendly prices in the new location and much lower overhead.
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I took my family to Prima on Christmas Eve 2011, and was not disappointed. Albert (the owner) was there to greet us. Usually, my barometer for a restaurant is the bread they serve. OMG, their bread was delicious. First, understand that we LOVE seafood and Italian. Second, my three boys are 6' 3" or taller, and they can eat like nobody's business.

The service is crisp and polite. All our food was delivered at the same time, which is not common at other Cozumel restaurants. The descriptions on the menus were very accurate, and the portions were sufficient for my family.

Oh yeah, the views! Prima is located on the top floor of the tallest building in the area. Seating is available on North terrace, so the views are of the coast line along the edge of the town central. Christmas time made for lots of lights, and it added to the ambiance.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This was our first visit to Prima since it moved from its original location. In fact, I remember on our very first trip to Cozumel, they were a very new restaurant giving away samples of their bread on the street. Back then, I always very much enjoyed my dining experience but never managed to order anything I thought memorably good, which I always partially chalked up to ordering the wrong thing. This trip, we chose it because we were celebrating something, and it was also Christmas Eve--and not a lot of restaurants are open into the evening. This time, I kept my order simple--catch of the day, blackened. It was well-prepared and tasted good, and the garlicky pasta I ordered as a side was really good. My husband, however, ordered a special--fish stuffed with crabmeat. The first one had major raw spots, and the second one was only a little more cooked. He didn't send it back again but just sort of avoided the raw middle. For a dish that ran well past the $20 mark, he was expecting something much better executed and 100% edible. We took the leftovers only for the purposes of tossing them to the fish. I was very popular with the sergeant majors the next afternoon. On the plus side, the bread was delicious. I wish they didn't top their bruschetta with a layer of melted cheese, but it was otherwise fairly tasty. The fried calamari didn't stand out for me, but it was okay. The margaritas were very good, and the service was excellent as it always has been. We ate inside with a view of black ocean and lights of Playa del Carmen. I don't find the indoors part as charming as the old outdoors location, but I can see where a cool indoor spot might be a welcome thing at times. We were celebrating a birthday, and they brought us a free piece of tiramisu--and, well, I won't give it away, but they made it a great moment of low-key fun.

primacozumel, Owner at Prima Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Hi, this is Albert, we appreciate your review of the restaurant, and am sorry that you had a issue with the Broiled stuffed fish being under cooked. I am sorry it was not called to my attention, as I was on the floor all night xmas eve. I would have given it the correct attention and made sure it was fabulous.
I will make sure my manager communicates more with the chef about this issue.

If you will please send me your email address, I will be happy to send you a $25 Gift certificate so you can try my place again.
Thank you for the constructive comments, we appreciate all feed back.
Happy New Year

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Great food and wonderful service and the best view of the city and water in coz. Try the Prima steak. It is wonderful and tender. They also do a great breakfast and have the best pancakes on the island.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Outstanding Italian food, seafood and steak and wonderful service. Even though we were staying at an all inclusive, we ate here. I wish we had found out about this place sooner as we would have eaten there several times during our stay. Excellent atmosphere and very good value. Don't miss this one!

primacozumel, Owner at Prima Trattoria, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

My Staff and I appreciate your review and we hope to continue to give the service and quality in Prima

Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a place that many locals go, so it has to be good - and it is!
The view from the balcony is one of the best in town. They have an enticing 2 for 1 drink happy happy hour, which makes watching the sun set so much more relaxing.
Breakfast is where you will find the local people before they head to work for good reason, they have a very good breakfast menu, and the view of sunrise is included!