“Fresh, tasty and very inexpensive”

Pescaderia San Carlos
Ranked #15 of 404 Restaurants in Cozumel
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: A true hidden gem, with friendly owners, live music, and fresh fish. Excellent hosts, reasonable prices and delicious food.
Reviewed February 12, 2013

First, the address, since TA doesn't have it quite right. Pescaderia San Carlos is at 216 50th Avenue, just north of 3rd Street. People stop to buy fresh fish to cook at home, to have cooked for take out, and to eat there. We ate there, an experience that started with great fish ceviche. We chose a medium-size grouper from the cooler, and 15 minutes later, it appeared whole on a plate with rice, veggies, and tortillas. So fresh and tasty! Can't be beat, and the people are very friendly and accommodating. We asked if there was an ice cream store nearby; they said there wasn't, but brought us each a piece of chocolate cake. Wonderful!

1  Thank tallguy442

Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was one of the absolute best places we ate at in Cozumel, so much so that we we went there 3 times! The whole fish and the ceviche was excellent! And it was really fun to be able to pick out your fish in advance. Overall a great restaurant experience with friendly staff and owners that make you feel at home. And if you are lucky like we were you'll get to be there when the owners put on their musical and comedy routine. It was a really special experience and one that will be in our memories for a long time! @@@ just a note, this restaurant is on 50 avenue just off Calle 3. Easily walkable from the Centro area if that is where you are.

3  Thank terry k
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This place had become one of my favorite places in Cozumel.
I'd eaten at Pescaderia San Carlos last July and loved it so I went back two more times in Jan.
It is a good 20-25mins walk if you are staying in waterfront hotel area BUT it is soooo worth hiking up because the food is so good and price is very reasonable.

Their outdoor patio dining area is nothing fancy or romantic but this is the most authentic, down-to-earth, best-value seafood restaurant where you'll be treated like a family. Senor Diego is super-friendly and quite an entertainer, usually visiting each table talking to guests and shaking hands. When I got there on late Sat afternoon (Jan26) he was actually on stage singing, dancing and telling stories. Everyone was having a great time clapping, cheering and laughing - he's amazing!

And their food is the BEST- it is like First Class quality with Fast Food price tag.
You can start with chips and their "famous" fresh seafood ceviche over a cold Mexican beer, then order generously-portioned fish dinner served with sides like rice/veggies/beans. Grouper filet grilled Mexican style is my favorite - I love it so much I can eat it everyday (and afford it)!

They do close early (6pm) though, so you'd have to go for lunch or early dinner and they are closed on Mondays. I went back again on Tue (Jan29) but was late getting back from my dive trip so I practically had to run all the way from my hotel so I could make it before they close. When Diego saw me running in there sweating at 5:45pm he came over and gave me a big hug. I was able to enjoy my last dinner before flying home the next day.

They also have Free Wi-Fi, you just need to ask for the password.

I absolutely recommend this casual seafood restaurant and I wish I could go back every week for more Grouper and the best Ceviche!

1  Thank sydneytheturtle
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We discovered this place on our last day of the vacation. Was looking for a meal before the flight and tummy was looking for fresh fried whole fish...this place hit the spot. The complimentary seafood ceviche was excellent...we ordered one red snapper and one grouper to share...both were delicious. The dining area is in behind the restaurant - wasn't obvious when we drove up and looking for a parking spot. It was easy to find and not too far from airport with gas station along the way to airport. With a few beers the lunch was $22 for 2 people. This will be definitely be on our list of places to eat during our next visit to Coz.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Food is amazing. The grouper I had was prepared in a garlic sauce with fresh vegetables. Yummy. It was a huge plate but so good, I ate it all. Everyone at the table cleaned their plate. The ceviche' (gratis) is wonderful as is the salsa. The owner is a huige personality, a nice guy. A little bit comedian, a little bit singer and a great family guy. His family was there and he introduced us to his granddaughter, a cutie-pie! The server was very young and spoke no English, but you can get your message across. As was mentioned by another reviewer, go early or you will miss a great meal! If I could give the food 6 stars- I would! I think the four of us got out of there including tip for $22. How can you not go?

2  Thank bluewaterbaby