“Caught 5' long & 48lb Mahi aka Dorado and snorkeled 2 reefs!”

Albatros Charters - Private Charters
Ranked #108 of 288 Tours in Cozumel
More attraction details
Owner description: Albatros Charters specializes in custom deep sea fishing charters, diving, snorkeling and sunset cruises! We've been in business since 1995. Our crew is experienced, bilingual and a lot of fun. We offer as much flexibility as possible and provide the personal touch you deserve!
Reviewed July 24, 2013

During my most recent visit to Cozumel from 5/4/13 to 5/15/13, I had made arrangements to share a boat and fishing trip with another couple whom we met via Trip Advisor. However, after meeting them in person, we decided that it was best to hire our own boat and combine deep sea fishing with reef snorkeling...the only hitch was it was last minute and I wanted to make plans a day before the excursion.

Considering him one of the most knowledgeable and friendly folks on Cozumel, during an evening cigar session, I asked Havana Bob (at Havana Bob's Cigars, which I have also reviewed) if he could hook me up with a good fishing/snorkeling service. Good fortune and Havana Bob smiled upon me and Bob was able to make the arrangements for me with Rita, on very short notice and at a very reasonable price for an all-day combination outing.

To make the excitement even greater for the start of the trip the next day, the fishing vessel (named Frigate) would pick us up at the El Cantil pier (condo building where we stayed in downtown San Miguel...I have also reviewed El Cantil's Unit #7A-N)...WOW, what a treat! No cab ride to the marina, getting the VIP treatment and a later departure, not required at the crack of dawn...AWESOME!

The Frigate and its crew, Captain Victor and First Mate Pedro, picked us out right on time and Captain Victor let the twin 250's open wide...he got us safely from El Cantil's pier to Punta Sur fishing grounds in about 35 minutes...AMAZING and this meant lots more time to fish and snorkel for us!

It was not long before the beasts of the deep were biting hard and, before I knew it, I had caught 2 medium-large barracuda and 2 Mahi Mahi aka Dorado of over twenty pounds each...it was not even an hour into the fishing half of the trip and already it was a success! We had trolled all around Punta Sur for another 20 minutes, when BAM! A monster struck one of the outrigger lines....Pedro made sure it was well-hooked and then turned the rod & reel over to me. This was the start of a 40 minute long fight with the biggest fish I have ever caught in my life...a 5' long, 48lb. beauty of a Mahi Mahi aka Dorado...the best fishing experience ever!

To recall the next part of the day's trip brings another big smile back to my face...Victor & Pedro took us to Cielo Reef, where Victor anchored and made a ceviche with part of the Mahi that was now less than 15 minutes out of the sea. With great conversation, lots of cold beer and Victors DELICIOUS, FRESH MAHI CEVICHE, we were truly in heaven.

We then got to spend a couple hours snorkeling Cielo, Columbia Shallows and Palancar Reefs before being whisked back to El Cantil's pier aboard the super-fast Frigate...I'm telling ya', this is the WAY TO GO...awesome crew, unforgettable day of fishing and snorkeling and Rita, who accommodated us with a last minute request and didn't make us pay extra for doing so.

THANK YOU ALBATROS CHARTERS, YOU ARE THE BEST ON COZUMEL!

-----------------------
I make every attempt to take care with providing useful information and reviews of establishments, services and places that I have found noteworthy in my travels. If you found this review helpful, please take a moment to click the "YES" button at the bottom of the review and to the right of the question: "Was this review helpful?"
-----------------------

4  Thank Mike L

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Thanks to Ms. Rita my husband and I are certified to dive in open waters. We had friends that had went with Albatros Charters to get there certification and highly recommended them. So we all went this July 2013 to get certified. We stayed at Cozumel Palace (we highly recommend this also) Ms. Rita picked us up and we did our 1st day in the pool to become familiar with the equipment and all of our safety checks and procedures. Day 2 and 3 we dove in open water ( with Ms.. Rita)the boat picked us up at the hotel and dropped us off. Great Great staff!!!! WHEN, NOT IF WHEN we go back we will scuba dive again my husband wants to go fishing and we will PARTY with Ms. Rita on the beach we want to try that rum :) Thank you Ms. Rita for making us feel like family and so comfortable with it being our first time diving. WE WILL BE BACK

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Rita was our dive master and she was awesome! She made sure to answer all of our questions and make the certification process as smooth as possible. There were the four of us and she went over everything that we would need to know in the pool on day one. Days two and three of the certification, her and her crew picked us up at the dock near where we stayed. She took us to some amazing dive spots and again went over all the skills with each dive. She stayed with us and made sure we had everything we needed. I feel extremely confident as a new diver and I am totally appreciative to her! Thanks Rita! We will be back soon to dive with you again!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Enjoyed everything. Weather was a little windy so we did not snorkel but lots did. Still worked out to a great trip. Isla of Mujeres was fun to tour in a golf cart.
Crew on the boat was great and entertaining...especially Carlos :) Highly recommend.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We joined Albatros Charters for a sunset cruise Feb 24. We had a wonderful time. Rita and Robert host a fun and friendly sunset cruise complete with drinks and snacks. Highly recommend Albatros for a relaxing and fun time.