“Perfect for first time divers”
Review of ScubaTony Cozumel

ScubaTony Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: ScubaTony offers personalized dive services at reasonable prices. Specializing in small groups and quality service, we make the needs of our guests our focus. Dive trips are 6 divers max on a fast boat with amenities like fresh fruit, fresh water shower and surface intervals on the beach. You can even private charter the boat just for you. No rush, no hassle and no worries. After all, it is vacation!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Los Angeles, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for first time divers”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I came to Cozumel for our honeymoon never having gone on a dive before. We were told we couldn't leave the island without going on at least one dive. We got incredibly lucky and got to book a discovery dive with ScubaTony last minute, and our dive yesterday was amazing. We went out with Liz and Carlos, and they couldn't have been nicer or more attentive. Liz was patient and an excellent teacher. We enjoyed our first dive so much, we needed to go on a second, and Liz was more than happy to takes us! We saw a huge green sea turtle, a nurse shark, some rays, and too many fish to count (along with some awesome coral). I think ScubaTony may have given us the diving bug - we may even try to go out again with ScubaTony before we leave! I give ST my strongest recommendation.

NJ
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“It's all in the eyes”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Diving in Cozumel is among the best in the world!!! However, the DM can make a great experience even better. That is what I experienced with Scuba Tony. From the time I contacted them, all was good. The best tho' was the diving. Raymundo had a incredible eye. He was able to spot so much that I would have missed -- the very tiny sea horses, the garden eels that I Ihought were just coral in the sand. He found a shark resting under a ledge that we were able to approach. We saw soooo much. I had requested that they take me to a reef I had been to before and they were happy to do so. All dives were well planned. Dive groups were small. I will certainly dive with this outfit again. Carlos, the captain, was excellent. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. I can't say enough good things about Scuba Tony's.

Visited August 2013
Anchorage, Alaska
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“5 & Half Stars for Scuba Tony”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I found Scuba Tony after reading many reviews and what I kept seeing was that they were a small company and kept their dives to about 6-7 divers at a time. Being still what I consider a novice diver I was very intrigued by a bit more personalized attention. I was going to be in Cozumel for a week and 4 of those days I was planning on diving so I wanted a company that I would feel comfortable with it.

Had Tony (dive master) the owner on the first day, Raymond (instructor) the second day and Luis (dive master) the third and fourth day. Each of the dive masters and instructors had their own style and manner. Carlos captained us on our dives and was our on board snack master and shower master.

The first day out I was fortunate enough to be on the boat with the owner (Tony) he doesn’t go out as much anymore. It was a very small crew the owner and the boat captain Carlos. There were 4 other divers and myself. Which meant that I would be buddied up with the Dive Master himself. I am still working on getting my breathing regulated as I have a tendency to float to the surface, so I was happy to be able to get some pointers.

We went to Palancar Caves about a 80 ft dive and Erick’s Reef or No Name Reef about a 62 ft dive. Visibility was great. Saw loads of turtles. It was awesome to see a large one swim close by, saw a giant eel in an underwater cave and some sleeping sharks under a ledge. The water was very calm looked you could take off your dive gear and just hang out it looked so much like it could be a place above ground.
It was probably the most relaxed dive that I had so far in my diving endeavors.

What was so great about Tony was his observations and the unobtrusive way he pointed them out to us. I was having some problems with my mask it was a new one I kept having to clear it, Tony figured it was riding too high on my face and had me adjust the fit so I wouldn’t have to clear it all of the time. He noticed little things about the other divers also and made suggestions such as weight placement and how they were holding their body in the water. These little things are what makes a dive master great. There was a very relaxed air around him and he in turn imparted that to each of us and we had a great time on our dives.

Second day of diving was lead by Ray we went to Palancar Gardens which was about a 80 ft dive and Cedral Reef about a 50 ft dive. Visibility wasn’t as far as the first day it was still awesome. We stopped to watch a giant turtle feeding. Then Ray took us to a place where he knew a giant eel would hang out and got a close up look of him. Saw loads of turtles and different schools of fish swim by just doing their own thing. Swam thru a few under passes had a bit of a traffic jam going thru one of them as we all tried to swim thru at once…we got our signals a bit crossed. We all made it thru.

On the third day did a twilight and night dive with Luis. Was a little nervous about the night dive not knowing what to expect. The first twilight dive at Santa Rosa Wall about an 80 ft dive was great the water was nice and mellow. Saw lots of crabs and a few eels plus loads of other marine life. On our way over to Paradise reef, which was about a 75 ft dive, we saw schools of dolphins. Some of them came to play around the boat. We stopped the boat and got in the water to get a closer view of them. Must say they were much larger in person.

As we geared up for the night dive we were given flashlights and instructions how to navigate with out the usual visual cues. Once the sun went down things were a little cooler was glad I had on my 3mm dive suit. There was no moon light that night so was uncertain what to expect when we submerged. Once we all leveled out we buddied up and started following the dive master. He pointed out tons of enormous crabs, and octopus. There were a few other fish swimming around not as many as during the day. We could see them glow or luminesce in the dark. Will admit thought the octopus looked like floating colorful phlegm. Could see their membranes a lot differently in the dark. Then we turned off the flashlights and started looking around. We waved our arms around and saw bio-luminesce surround everyone. Was very surprised at how well I could see everyone. We swam without our flashlights after that. It is a very different world underwater at night. Everything had a surreal look and feel to it. Still amazed at how well I could see everyone and their tanks without the use of any additional light.

Fourth day of diving we went to Colombia Deep which is about a 100 ft dive and Dalila Wall about a 60 ft dive. Saw more turtles and a couple of sharks out in the distance. Saw a small shark under one of the ledges just taking an afternoon siesta. Nice mellow dive a great way to wrap up a 4 day dive trip.

Would highly recommend Scuba Tony to anyone looking for great dive masters and a relaxed day on the water. Since most of my vacation was spent diving it was great to find a company that made me feel comfortable and made the days fly by. As Scuba Tony is a small company they don’t offer multiple dive discounts, their rates were very reasonable.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Simone L
Jefferson, Ohio
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Dives, Personal Attention”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We did eight dives with ScubaTony and saw a lot of great sights. Liz and Ray are excellent divemasters and Carlos is a great captain. The small groups and personal attention were wonderful. I highly recommend them.

Visited July 2013
“Perfect teacher for novice !!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We did the dsd first time diving with tony and he was amazing with me and my girlfriend ! Really great teacher ! You feel really safe so you can have great time under water ! We gona do our padi certification with him soon as possible !!!