“good diving shop with minor errors”

Studio Blue Dive Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Basel, Switzerland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“good diving shop with minor errors”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I dove with them in early October 2012. I booked the reservation via Mke's dive shop in Playa del Carmen, and the price was $85/person +$20 for equipment.

I was the only one signed up for diving this day at the dive shop, which was amazing. Then 2 Japanese people joined, so it became a group of 3 people. We went on a taxi to the harbor and dove santa rosa and a dive site close to Paradise beach. The dive master Carlos was very understanding and careful guide. He watched me every minute to make sure I was fine. He showed me interesting lobster family, toadfish, a territorial fish, etc.

One minor problem was with my BCD. It seemed like my BCD was fixed for leakage the day before. They thought it was fixed, but it turned out that air keeps pouring into BCD and I had to constantly release the air for the first dive. I guess it was leaking so much that I only had 30 minutes of dive time. Too bad.

During the next dive, I got a bigger tank and disconnected BCD to air supply completely. I've never done such a thing before, but I could regulate with my lung and it was fine.

The boat we used: Studio Blue 1 was a little fishing boat with no top to keep you from strong sun, except where the captain is. Obviously no bathroom, no food service, like the ones I'm used to.

But people were nice, did everyting to make my work the minimum, including changing tanks, helping me get out of water, instructions before diving, and lots of smiles and talking while resting.

Be careful with the bathroom back in the office. when you turn on the light, you get a slight electic buzz.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank snowsuisse

• Korean first
Bali, Indonesia
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Mixed Review.”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have a mixed review of this place.
The good: they take care of EVERYTHING. Once you do your "fitting" and get all the equipment, they load it into the van, take it to the marina and you don't have to worry about anything. Once on the boat, they will hook up your BCD, the regulators and the weights. All you have to do is put on your wetsuit and get ready to dive.

The bad: Right before I was ready to get in the water, another diver noticed that my BCD was NOT connected to the tank!!! Good thing we double checked before we jumped in.
Our guide was Tony, and he guided a group of 6 divers. First of all, I have never dove with a group of that size. It had always been smaller. Secondly, I did not feel that Tony checked in with us often enough. During the entire 45-minute dive, I would say he checked in maybe once or twice. I didn't think this was sufficient, especially given that we were diving/swimming through various coral formations and some were very tight spaces.
Another thing I felt upset about was that he was very careless with the corals/reef. Even though he briefed us and told us not to touch any marine life, he was touching things constantly, and he didn't seen to care when some divers were grabbing sea life off the ocean floor. Since we were swimming in tight places, I saw some people's tanks hitting the coral walls and I just couldn't believe he was not being more cautious with the group.

After the dives, they passed around some fruit - bananas, oranges, and cantaloupe. But I saw 2 divers from another group eating sandwiches that were provided to them by a captain. I didn't understand why some were fed and others were not.

Overall, I was not displeased. I would not recommend.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank darwin11
Bryan, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Awesome!!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Absolutely fantastic. Very personable and helpful. Asked us to fill out the standard dive forms and releases and when we finished, we turned around and found all the gear we neaded already layed out and ready to go. They loaded everything, unlike several dive shops that had us do all the heavy lifting including carrying the gear and tanks to the boat, in wetsuits. They took care of everything on the boat as well! Great dive guide and nice boat! Simply the best dive shop we have dealt with. Treated us like old friends instead of stupid tourist they could easily milk for other bogus fees and charges like gas money and rental fees. Clean and very professional! We will use Studio Blue Dive Center exclusively from now on! We were blessed to have found them!

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Lonnie G
Russellville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Totally Amazing Experience!!”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

We chose Studio Blue for our first diving experience after some locals recomended it. They gave us excellent advice. We decided to do the discover scuba which was about $100 each and included a short video and a 45 min. presentation and instruction by Paco about some basic Scuba skills. We took our dive a couple days later and were asked if we would rather accompany a couple snorkelers on a boat instead of doing our dive from the shore. Although we were a little anxious, we decided to go for it. The crew was great!! They constantly asked how we were doing and made sure that we were having the best time possible. Paco was an excellent instructor and we experienced some amazing dives. This was the best time of our trip to Cozumel. We loved it so much that we went again before our trip ended. Under the water, you will see things that will amaze you. All of the coral and fish are just beautiful. Our only regret about our dives with Studio Blue was that we did not have a good underwater camera. I wish I had pics of all the things we saw in the reefs. Great job Studio Blue!!! We will see you next year!!!

Visited June 2012
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Very very good!!”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

Nice and friendly people! They knew my name from the very beginning and kept using it! Small detail, but it gets you to feel very welcome! Instructors were very good, both Jonathan and that other guy I can't remember the name of. Very professional and a superb trip! I would go again any time!

2 Thank Ronnyr79