“I LOVE La Perlita!”

Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

La Perlita quickly became my favorite restaurant on Cozumel during my recent stay on the island. I ended up visiting with my honey for dinner twice and breakfast once. Firstly, it is not in the touristy downtown area, so it has a real local neighborhood vibe. I was able to walk from my hotel, but I imagine most people would need to taxi. The restaurant is open air with a lovely thatched roof. They have hand painted tables, chairs, and lanterns hanging from the ceiling. The restaurant doubles as a fish market during the day and they even have their own fishing boats to boot. The restaurant literally catches their own fish! La Perlita is about as fresh as you can get. I tried to order the octopus, but unfortunately they didn't catch any that day. Instead of keeping seafood frozen in the back, they only let you order what was in stock in the sea that morning. The waiters are delightful and kind. My favorite dish was the lion fish, grilled or breaded, it was delicious. Best of all the restaurant is authentic (I saw them making their own toritilla chips) and cheap! The guacamole was only 50 pesos. FIFTY PESOS. The tourist trap restaurants had guacamole three times that price!!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We tried this restaurant based on reviews from various places. We didn't expect great ambiance and there was none. However, the four of us had a basic meal and it was nearly 800 pesos. My meal was okay, but nothing great. Service was average. Guess I was hoping for better taste for a little less money.

On a bright note, the restroom was spotless!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

This place was recommended to us at our hotel for good seafood. It was a bit out of the way, and we took a taxi. It was worth the trip! The seafood was the best thing ever. It was a very authentic and comfortable atmosphere -- not fancy but nice. Definitely go here for a good seafood dinner -- fish finger appetizer is awesome!

Reviewed May 23, 2014

Been there on recent cruise trip 05/21/14. Food was not as good (fresh) as expected in local restaurants that I had tried before. Very Pricey though. 260 pesos for Cerviche (octopus was over cooked, shrimp wasn't fresh)!!! Small lobster tail 300 pesos (the one that Publix sells for $5.99/tail) 100 pesos for shrimp tacos!!! Margaritas so tiny, and cost 60 pesos. Also they charged 16 % on TAXES on top of the restaurant charge. hmm.... what a ripp-off

I had been to San Carlos seafood numerous of times and found that their prices are much more reasonable and much fresher than here. Don't know why I chose to go here this time, (cab driver recommended) and was very very sorry that I did! Never again......

2  Thank daron N
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I always find the go to spots for food when on vacation and this place was suggest more then once. Went on a Thursday night which just so happens to be 2 for 1 on Lionfish. This was my first time having it and it was out of bounds, I would try it in a different style next time I had the coconut crusted which you couldn't really get the full flavor of the fish but I did enjoy it, also had the cevieche and it was on point to. Check this place out only a 5 dollar cab ride from the main drag in town and its a must go place.