“Beach Fun, Bar Fun, Food Fun All Away from Tourists”

Mezcalitos Restaurant & Beach Bar Cozumel
Ranked #78 of 386 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Latin, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We were just going to grab a burger and then drive in our rental car to the Punta Sur state park to bask on the beach. But when we got to Mezcalitos we decided to stay here instead of traveling to the park. It is right on the main road where it crosses the island and curves to the south on the Caribbean side of the island. It is definitely away from all the tourist haunts. It is rustic with no windows and sand floor. I ordered the fish tacos and ceviche which was more than enough for two people. The fish tacos had whole pieces of fish on it, one was enough for me. The cevishe was very fresh "cooked" in great lime juice and filled with a lot of conch. A friend of ours had a burger, and it was very large and juicy. I thought the prices were a bit high for a beachfront bar, but it is the atmosphere and location you are paying for! I stretched out in a hammock while my friends played on the beach and drank beer. A lazy kitty cat was stretched out under my hammock...it was just that sort of place! It was not very crowded but it was a weekday. I imagine this place gets hopping on the weekends. Walking down the beach we noticed that it was cluttered with trash, not sure why someone does not pick up the trash over there. But the sand was nice near the bar. A sign nearby said "naked beach" too, but nobody was there...which I guess would be great for someone who was naked and wanted privacy too! Check this place out!

There are newer reviews for Mezcalitos Restaurant & Beach Bar Cozumel

Reviewed February 11, 2014

There was six in our group that wanted to see the whole island. So we rented a van with a driver. His name was Alfrado very informant and polite. Well I heard about Mezcalito's West on TA. And I had to make it one of our stops. It was perfect! Nice and serine with a view to die for. The staff was friendly and the food was great. I had the fish tacos, which had grouper fish! Excellent. The chips and salsa, guacamole were also very good. One of the other couples had a fish burrito which they raved about. A must stop on the other side of the Island.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Mezcalito's, on the east side of the island right where the cross island road meets the coast, is the calmest of the east side establishments. It offers stunning views, hammocks, beach, and if you feel like walking up the jeep trail to the north, it's a good starting and stopping place. We ordered the chicken burrito. It was good, perhaps saltier than we would have chosen, but a solid, decent burrito which we shared. There is a souvenir shop next door. My impression was that it was less crazy than some of the other bars.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

We arrived at Mezcalitos a little after 10:00 A.M. and didn’t leave until 4:00 P.M. (& then the next day we returned again!!).

For us the place offered solitude. We layed in their hammocks, had a few margaritas and mojitos, ate some shrimp, and enjoyed the beautiful view.

Mezcalitos provides you the feeling of being on a beautiful Caribbean island without the need to share it with hundreds of other guests. If you need a break from your all-inclusive resort, drive to other side of the island and spend a few hours at Mezcalitos.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We rented scooters for the day and drove around the island. We had a great time which was made even better by stopping at Mezcalitos. Their shrimp is great as everything on that side of the island is grilled over charcoal. Will go back again at every opportunity.