“Best place I have ever eaten!”

Fernando Junior's Lobster House
Ranked #52 of 394 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A romantic place in which lobster is the only main dish served, we have been doing it for 33 years to serve you the best in town! We also have daily appetizers and dessert
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have never tried lobster before, and it kind of sucks that this was my first experience with it because I know that I will never find anywhere with lobster like this again! I'm sure from the other reviews you have read, you can tell how the service works at the restaurant, but I just felt the need to review this place, because it is without a doubt the best food that I have ever had.

This place, and the Cozumil Restaurant and Sports bar absolutely made my trip in Cozumel!

There is no doubt i will be back!

2  Thank Kiersten D

Reviewed August 3, 2014

There are some great restaurants on this small island, but if you are looking for an authentic, affordable and amazing lobster meal - then the "ORIGINAL" Lobster House will not disappoint!!!
It's reputation speaks for itself as regular Cozumel visitors highly recommend this place to people like myself, who are visiting the island for the first time and looking for a great place to eat.

The menu is extremely limited, so if someone in your party isn't a fan of lobster - either leave them home so you can enjoy the experience or pick some place else. This establishment has been in business for over thirty years so they have perfected the amazing yet simplistic way they cook their lobster tails.

When you arrive or when your ready to order, you are invited to select your very own fresh lobster tail (cooked to order), ranging in size from 10-12 ounces to 24 or more ounces.

On my first visit, I selected a lobster tail in the 12-14 ounce range which was cooked perfectly and served with a side of amazing flavoured rice and equally flavoured veggies (not to mention copious amount of fresh drawn butter). As an appetizer, I ordered and shared a highly recommended bowl of conch chowder which was a meal in itself. After the conch chowder, it was all I could do to finish my lobster tail and barely touched the flavourful veggies and rice.

Next came the offer of dessert which I had to decline because I was so full. The Lobster House is widely known for their infamous key lime pie so I decided we would return during our week long vacation and instead of the conch chowder, I would save room for the key lime pie!

An important note to mention is be sure you are at the "ORIGINAL LOBSTER HOUSE", because there is a "knock-off" located directly next door which as I understand, has been opened by an immediate family member hoping to put their own brother out of business. Also be aware that if someone is attempting to wave you into their Lobster House and/or they hand you a menu upon your arrival - then you're in the WRONG PLACE.

The second time we dined at the ORIGINAL Lobster House, we selected a huge 24 ounce lobster tail and chose to share it. It was also cooked beautifully and although we gave up the conch chowder, we still didn't have room for dessert. That being said, after allowing our tummies to settle for some time, we forced ourself to try the key lime pie and it was undeniably the best key lime pie I've ever eaten!

During our visit to Cozumel, the ORIGINAL Lobster House was open from 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm yet I'm certain these hours vary during busy months. Contact Fher who is the Manager, and he will take care of any special requests you might have!

1  Thank K8EDID
Reviewed July 31, 2014

My husband and I had a late dinner at The Lobster House last evening with our 9 yr. old Grandson. It was FANTASTIC!!! The lobster was perfection as were the potato chunks and carrots and sticky rice that was served with them. You pick your own lobster out, Fernando weighs and prices it at that time so you can make a different choice if the price is more than you'd like to spend. We had 3 large lobsters and after devouring them we had no room left for the key lime pie which we had really wanted to have for dessert but we will go back and be sure to save a little room for it next time. Fernando took so much time with us after our meal showing our grandson a few magic tricks that had us all in awe. If you're a lobster lover, this is THE place for you! It truly is delicious!! Fernando and staff, THANK YOU from the bottom of our stomachs for making this a most memorable eating experience! Robert, Deb and Carson ~ true Texans and lobster lovers!!

1  Thank Texasgabby54
Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have to apologize to Fernando, the owner, for the delay in posting my review. I told him, and the family, that I would, and have been delayed in returning home.

I have spent my life, 40+ years in the restaurant business. I have eaten in San Francisco, Paris, Spain etc. This meal was extraordinary, one of the best ever. What makes a great restaurant, IMO, is that it has an identity, and it knows what that is, that it stays true to itself, that it maintains the highest levels of quality, service, and all the little intangibles that make for a great meal. It could be a hamburger stand, a Five Star Hotel, or roadside diner; I've had great meals in all of these places.

This describes the Original Lobster House. You're not going here expecting barbecue, you want a lobster. From the moment you step through the door, you are in another world that can only be described as charming. The decor is fantastic, the music chosen to fit the ambiance, at the proper volume, the location wonderful.

Jimmy was my waiter that night, for my party of one. I had just finished my Advanced Open Water Diving Cert. and was out for a celebration, without alcohol by the way. Fernando seated me at a wonderful table in the corner, overlooking the gardens, though I didn't see a bad table in the place. Jimmy the waiter was attentive without giving me any sense of rushing.

I enjoyed a very nice juice cocktail, a very good bowl of Conch Soup, spiced just right, and a whole basket of some of the best bread I have ever eaten, with room temperature butter of the finest grade. Then I went to the front to choose my "tail". Although the largest ones had been already chosen, I was there quite late in the evening, what I had was plentiful, and really as big as I could eat. Fresh is not the word, and I know because I had been looking at lobsters all day on my dives!

Simply delicious. The rice and vegetable sides were the perfect accompaniment to the rich lobster. The chalkboard touted key lime pie, one of my favorites, for the desert of the day. Unfortunately for me, the party of 12 at the next table got there ahead of me. Fernando, the owner mind you, asked if there was something else that would fill the bill. Anything Chocolate I said. Again, regrets, but nothing on the menu that night. With that, Fernando made some phone calls, personally went across the street to one of the Big Hotels, and brought me an excellent double-chocolate sundae, complete with whipped cream.

Nothing else need be said, except that I observed him teaching the business to his son, who had already managed to catch on to the hard part, being cordial, and friendly, in the finest Mexican tradition. Superb all the way around. Thanks.

J. A. Johnson to have Fernando

2  Thank Geronimo J
Reviewed July 23, 2014

They have mastered the Lobster, it was out of this world good. We had a large group and everyone enjoyed - Margarita's are great too! Just a short ride in a taxi for a great experience