“Come here” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fernando Junior's Lobster House

Fernando Junior's Lobster House
Ranked #42 of 359 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Seafood, Caribbean
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Cash Only, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: A romantic place in which lobster is the only main dish served, we have been doing it for 33 years to serve you the best in town! We also have daily appetizers and dessert
Asheville, North Carolina
“Come here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

I have to apologize to Fernando, the owner, for the delay in posting my review. I told him, and the family, that I would, and have been delayed in returning home.

I have spent my life, 40+ years in the restaurant business. I have eaten in San Francisco, Paris, Spain etc. This meal was extraordinary, one of the best ever. What makes a great restaurant, IMO, is that it has an identity, and it knows what that is, that it stays true to itself, that it maintains the highest levels of quality, service, and all the little intangibles that make for a great meal. It could be a hamburger stand, a Five Star Hotel, or roadside diner; I've had great meals in all of these places.

This describes the Original Lobster House. You're not going here expecting barbecue, you want a lobster. From the moment you step through the door, you are in another world that can only be described as charming. The decor is fantastic, the music chosen to fit the ambiance, at the proper volume, the location wonderful.

Jimmy was my waiter that night, for my party of one. I had just finished my Advanced Open Water Diving Cert. and was out for a celebration, without alcohol by the way. Fernando seated me at a wonderful table in the corner, overlooking the gardens, though I didn't see a bad table in the place. Jimmy the waiter was attentive without giving me any sense of rushing.

I enjoyed a very nice juice cocktail, a very good bowl of Conch Soup, spiced just right, and a whole basket of some of the best bread I have ever eaten, with room temperature butter of the finest grade. Then I went to the front to choose my "tail". Although the largest ones had been already chosen, I was there quite late in the evening, what I had was plentiful, and really as big as I could eat. Fresh is not the word, and I know because I had been looking at lobsters all day on my dives!

Simply delicious. The rice and vegetable sides were the perfect accompaniment to the rich lobster. The chalkboard touted key lime pie, one of my favorites, for the desert of the day. Unfortunately for me, the party of 12 at the next table got there ahead of me. Fernando, the owner mind you, asked if there was something else that would fill the bill. Anything Chocolate I said. Again, regrets, but nothing on the menu that night. With that, Fernando made some phone calls, personally went across the street to one of the Big Hotels, and brought me an excellent double-chocolate sundae, complete with whipped cream.

Nothing else need be said, except that I observed him teaching the business to his son, who had already managed to catch on to the hard part, being cordial, and friendly, in the finest Mexican tradition. Superb all the way around. Thanks.

J. A. Johnson to have Fernando

2 Thank Geronimo J

Beaumont, Texas
“The BEST/Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014

They have mastered the Lobster, it was out of this world good. We had a large group and everyone enjoyed - Margarita's are great too! Just a short ride in a taxi for a great experience

Visited July 2014
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“The most amazing lobster ever!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

We came for dinner here last night! Was a little surprised that their was no actual menu and the only main was lobster (but soon realised we mixed this restaurant with the one next door) , however we are so glad this happened!!

We had pink conch chowder for entree, which was soooo amazingly tasty. And warm bread to go with it!!

Then we had one lobster tail (which we got to choose ourself) and they split it so we could have half each. The lobster was accompanied with rice, vegetables and a butter sauce! The lobster was the best lobster either of is had ever tasted! Previously we'd only ever had it grilled- which makes it dry. This lobster was boiled or steamed and it just feel apart - was sooooo yummy!!!!

We then had a slice of key lime pie for dessert- which was also delicious!!

The waiter and the owner were both so lovely and friendly and the restaurant had a great peaceful atmosphere!!

If you want to try some amazing lobster- definitely come here!!!! It was a little pricey, but well worth every penny!!

“Wife: BEST MEAL OF THE TRIP”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

The ambiance of the hole in the wall Lobster House is endearing as they seat you. Nautical theme, friendly staff, and the owner is walking about, ensuring all is well.

At the very same time, you may be lucky enough (as we were) to see a local fisherman walk in with the day's catch of lobster- weighed out and paid to the fisherman just as you order. What a feeling to see your dinner go directly from the fisherman to the grill. What a treat, even for me, as a deep sea fisherman myself.

The fried shrimp get a HUGE thumbs up from my wife, and great portions too. Don't fill up on bread, as the meal will satisfy you immensely.

A personal note: the Cesar salad is easily in the top 3 of any that I have ever had. Fresh romaine leaves with a light dressing, black pepper and parmesan. I've woken up dreaming about this salad.

Overall, if you are staying on the north end of the island, do yourself a favor and walk here. The new sidewalk is lovely and well lit. If you are staying down south, grab a taxi. you will not regret it.

***No Credit Cards, but there is an ATM in the lobby of the Melia***

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank John H
Elk River, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A great meal and a great time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

The atmosphere was a delight! We dined late in the evening and sat in the back where we were surprised to find that we were outdoors amidst illuminated palm trees. After being served with excellent margaritas and pina coladas, My wife and two daughters and I were invited to chose our lobster tails. The lobster was served split and perfectly steamed with a side of vegetables, rice and drawn butter. The vegetables and rice were delicious and were an excellent accompaniment to the lobster. Our waiter was fun and provided us with photo opportunities with sombreros LED illuminated masks and an animated plush lobster. and capped off the experience with a delicious banana drink. It was a great balance of all the things that make for a great dining experience. I will be sure to return on my next trip and would highly recommend!!!

1 Thank SevanMoore