“Juicy tacos are delicious”
Review of El Foco

El Foco
Ranked #89 of 370 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Cash Only, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Restaurant specialized in mexican food, with 35 years of experience and quality in everything we do, characterized for our excellent service and exquisite flavor. We have a lot of special dishes from delicious tacos and appetizers lie famous guacamole and azteca soup to fish and seafood and always caring about special need and tastes of each of our clients.
Houston, Texas
“Juicy tacos are delicious”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I usually like to steer clear of places that are too touristy, so I was a bit hesitant to try El Foco upon seeing the American, French, British, and German flags accompanying the tricolores. Further adding to my hesitation was the wall of tourist autographs, as well as the location just around the corner from the main seaside thoroughfare. I'm glad I overcame my hesitation because the tacos here are delicious.

I've visited three times, and each time, I ordered El Foco, which is a mixture of chorizo, beef, onions, and cheese. They place two tortillas on the plate and first cover them with a layer of cheese, then they cover and melt the cheese with a very generous helping of the meat and onion mixture. This is served with another three tortillas, so you can make five well-filled tacos. The brilliance lies in the two base tortillas because they absorb all of the juices and retain the most cheese, turning your last two tacos into flavor bombs. And if such juiciness makes you think about torn and broken tortillas, think again. Even the meat-juice-soaked tortillas held together well. If your appetite is perhaps not as hefty as mine, you might want to eat the base tortillas earlier. It's a substantial quantity of food that not everyone will make it through. Then again, you wouldn't be leaving as much time for the juices to soak in. I guess it's a conundrum each of you will have to resolve on your own.

My only complaint was that the beef was a bit chewier than I prefer. However, after having spent quite a bit of time in Mexico, I've learned that a bit of chewiness to the meat is not unusual.

The tacos were served with pico de gallo (which I didn't use so as not to upset the onion ratio), lime, and salsa verde. The salsa was good, though it could have used a bit more spice.

I almost wish I would have tried some other tacos to get a better feel for the place, but chorizo, beef, onions, and cheese have a delicious simplicity that I apparently couldn't resist. So be it.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank benitodisparos

• Slovak first
Columbia
“Sopa de Limon es yum yummy!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stopped by this place for dinner on our most recent trip to Cozumel (early July). My wife and I were worried that something was wrong since we were the only people in the joint. However, it was low season and the beginning of the week. It was close to our hotel, Villas las Anclas, and loved reading all the scribbles on the wall from past visitors.
On to the food...Whatever suspicions we had were quickly erased by a nice big bowl of Sopa de Limon. This was by far the best soup we had on the whole trip. The chicken was tender and the lime flavor was perfect. We also had some chorizo tacos, pollo tacos and tacos con nopal (cactus). All the tacos were filling. the nopal tacos were my personal favorite.
The prices weren't as good as some of the other places we ate in Cozumel but you shouldn't let that scare you from trying this place. Get the soup, you'll thank me later.

• Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Get the lime soup!”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We always stop into El Foco at least once every trip to the island. This last time, I was feeling a little under the weather and knew from previous visits that they have the tangiest and freshest lime soup. And it was just what I needed to feel like myself again. The El Foco tacos are tasty- big enough portions to split between two people, especially if you start out with a "cup" (big enough to be a bowl) of lime soup.

Visited June 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“Outstanding Tacos”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

El Foco is my new number 2 taco place in Cozumel. Stumbled by El Foco late in the evening and decided to give it a try. Of course the greeter claimed they had the best tacos on the island, and he is almost correct. My daughter and I sampled various tacos and the El Foco spiced sausage tacos were absolutely delicious. This restaurant will certainly be added to my must eat places the next time I am on a dive trip in Cozumel. Very convenient location, about a block from the main market square.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank AggieDiver86
Irvine, California
“amazing food!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The most amazing tacos on earth!!! We saw many locals eating and ordering to go from this little joint. The smell was so great that we decided to have our dinner here. The steak tacos were full of flavors and tender, but the most amazing thing was the cactus tacos. They were grilled to perfection, well seasoned, and crunchy at the same time. We traveled to other cities in Mexico and still dreamt about this little joint. We'll be back!!!

Visited May 2013