“Great and Not”
Review of Opal's Dream

Opal's Dream
More attraction details
Owner description: In Cozumel Mexico.Opal's Dream Dive Shop. We are still the same small personal shop with a old school feel. Only the name has changed. We use small, fast boats and have great prices! We've changed our location to downtown 95 Av. Between 4th & 6th north. Remember, it's Opals Dream Dive Shop. We offer a nice family feeling and add a lot of fun to your diving vacation!!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Florida
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Great and Not”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

First let me say that this company has wonderful employees and the booking and diving knowledge of their staff was great. We recently used Opal's when we were in Cozumel on a cruise. 3 of us were certified divers and 3 took the learn to scuba class. The divers went on a wall dive and said it was spectacular...one of the best. I was a "learner" so didn't participate on that dive. The 3 of us learners were taken by boat to the beach where we donned our equipment and then learned how to breathe, clear our masks in 2 different ways, learned how to re-capture our line if it came out of our mouth (which was great because mine was accidentally knocked out of my mouth by a fellow learner and I was able to recover it without a problem), adjust our weights, etc. We practiced these drills one by one with our dive master until he was comfortable that we were comfortable. Then we went diving in shallow water to practice these skills. After a while, the boat returned, picked us up and we all went to another site to dive together. Here is where we had a problem. My husband's mouthpiece disconnected from the air line so he had to switch to his back up line. At another time, he also started leaking air from his tank connection (sorry for my terminology). Now I will say that my husband is a very experienced diver and the 2nd dive master (we had 2 dive masters...one for the experienced divers and one for the learners) was right there to assist him so all was ok. They also provided wetsuits for those of us that didn't bring them which were a little shabby, but that didn't matter, but equipment problems are another issue. The rest of us had no equipment issues. I would recommend them in a heartbeat if they get their equipment in order.

Utah
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 270 helpful votes
“AOW Certification fun”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My 5th year as a diver and out of 145 dives about 6 trips and over 40 dives have been with this shop in Cozumel. Never boring to go out on the Cozumel reefs but I wanted to try something different this time. It's cold where I live in Utah and the diving is nothing great so I decided to get the PADI AOW materials and do the class for AOW with my local scuba shop, then Opal's Dream to finish the dives portion while in Cozumel. Perfect combination and it was fun to do the dives with DM Julio who I have dived with many times. Made for a fun and interesting dive trip and something different in Cozumel. Works well as a referral. A little more expensive than doing it all in one place but it was well worth it to get to do the dives portion at Cozumel. Just another idea and excuse to go have fun diving at Cozumel and Opal's Dream shop is a great choice for most of your dive plans.

Ottawa, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very good dive shop”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We did 2 dives with Opal's dreams in Cozumel. I can say that the people of this shop are truly amazing, professional, experienced and knowledgeable.

The only downside of this shop is the equipment. the equipment seemed very worn off and we had some equipment problems during the dives as well

Before we started, my BCD would not deflate. The boat captain Hector was super friendly and was able to repair any equipment issue on the spot. On the first dive my husband regulator malfunctioned, he was breathing ok and all of a suddun, he started breathing water. He had to swith to his secondary for the whole dive. When we got back on the boat, they figured out that the blater inside was twisted and they fixed it but he still used the secondary because he wasn't sure if he could entirely trust the primary. As for my equipment mlafunction, i am not too sure what happened and I still don't understand what happened. towards the end of the dive, I was at about 1200psi and I could feel that I was breathing less and less air. I checked my air and it went from 1200 to 300psi. I started to get worried and started swimming toward the closest dive master to tell him I was low on air. By the time I reached him, I was out of air, not sure how that happened. Sergio shared air with me and was very calm and that really helped during the situation. After a minute, he looked and showed me that my gauge was showing 1200psi again..?? I don't understand what happened. I went back to my regulator and finished the dive. I stayed very close to my husband and the dive master for the rest of the dive and kept checking my air. They didn't understand what happened to me either but all in all, they were very professional and experienced divers.

I would dive again with opal's but I would bring my own equipment for sure. The people were amazing and we saw a lot of amazing things on both our dives (columbia and Cedrals Pass)

1 Thank Olivia E
Philadelphia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Dive Op in Town”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We've been diving with the guys from Opal's Dream for years now (they used to be at a different place) and the service has always been nothing but excellent. Everything is well organized, they take best care of the equipment, find the best diving spots (and they know most of hiding spots for the best stuff); go to places other boats rarely go, and I always feel super safe when diving with them. We do a lot of diving trips all over the world, and Opal's Dream team - Vicky, Ishi, Eddie, Julio are truly the best! Thank you guys and we can't wait to come back!

Chicago, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Top notch dive op”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We where newer divers so we hired a personal divemaster for our first day of diving with Opals, we were so delighted with the service that the Gentleman (Sergio) provided us we ended up hiring him for the entire rest of our trip. If you want a real experience in diving the reefs of Cozumel hire a personal divemaster either a day or all your dives as we did. We watched the other divers around us and yes they saw things and were perfectly safe and happy with their dives, but with a personal dive guide if you will we saw much more than any of the other divers from our boat or other boats around us. He knew the reefs and the tunnels like the back of his hand, as the groups went on top or around the tunnels or only to the larger ones we were led into the really cool spots. Our personal dive guide (divemaster) was Sergio Xool Gutierrez he is the friendliest hardest working individual on the boat or harbor, every morning we watched as he loaded the boat with tanks and set up everyone's equipment and remember he was our personal divemaster not the boats divemaster. I run a company and wish I had 50 of him to work for me. Now I am not saying that the rest of the crew is not great because they are, We where just so impressed with Sergio and the personal attention he gave us as well as all the others on the boats. We ended up with 12 dives everyone a delight, Hector one of the captain/divemaster depending on where he was needed was great very funny and informational. We felt very safe with Opals and would dive with them any day. Friendly professional dive op that cares how you feel, every morning they where at the dock to meet the clientele . One thing you need to understand when diving in Cozumel with the smaller operations, they share the boats and captains, if they don't have enough people or are over booked that day you may end up on another boat but they all run the same way and are nice people dedicated to giving you a safe and happy experience. From the first email I sent a few months ago to the day we left from our vacation Opals was professional and wanted to make sure we had a great time with no issues. We wish you the best and we will be back. Brian and Bev