“Personalized service from a great team”
Review of Opal's Dream

Opal's Dream
More attraction details
Owner description: In Cozumel Mexico.Opal's Dream Dive Shop. We are still the same small personal shop with a old school feel. Only the name has changed. We use small, fast boats and have great prices! We've changed our location to downtown 95 Av. Between 4th & 6th north. Remember, it's Opals Dream Dive Shop. We offer a nice family feeling and add a lot of fun to your diving vacation!!!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I took a cruise over the Holidays with my family with one of our stops being in Cozumel. The cruise ship arrival time was later than most dive shops listed for afternoon dives, but Viky worked it out so they could accomodate us (myself and two teenage divers). The Trip Advisor reviews are spot on for Opal's "Dream Team" - simply stated, they are great people.

The rental gear was in great shape (can't stress the importance of this enough after reading the reviews of the cruise ship recommended excursion operator....)

On the drive from the shop to the boat, my son got to practice his Spanish and made a new friend with our driver as we learned about Cozumel and the history of the dive shop. For the dives, Julio was a great dive master and guide - very personable, knowledgable and safety concious. I go thru air quicker than my kids, but Julio was prepared with an extra long 2nd, which he let me use to extend the dive a bit to match my kids - but then back on my own for the safety stop & still boarded the boat with 500 psi. We had a small group, got in some great pictures and made new friends. If (make than when) I get back to Cozumel - definitely will dive with Opal's Dream again!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just got back from diving with Opal's and cannot say enough wonderful things about the entire operation. From Vicky's quick email response and help in booking our hotel reservation to personalized diving experience, it exceeded all of our expectations. The trip advisor reviews and the prices including rental could not be beat and once we were on the island and started talking to other locals about Opal's, everyone said great things. Our dive master, Abraham, was superb!! He knew the dive sites very well and took great care of us. The difference of having small groups (max 6 divers) also made a HUGE difference. Other dive operations in Cozumel take much larger groups, and after running into some of those groups on reefs, we was SOOO happy to be with Opal's and our close knit group. We would recommend Opal's Dream to anyone and will definitely be retuning back to dive with them again!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

We spent several days diving with Opal's dream while in Cozumel over the holidays. We had a good experience. Our divemaster was knowledgeable, experienced, friendly, and focused on safety. The small boat size was ideal as we prefer small dive groups. The most divers we had was 7 and the least was 5. They provide all the water you could want and had fresh fruit to eat during our surface interval. We would discuss the dive sites we wanted to see in the morning and that's where we would go. The office and their staff is very organized, friendly, and helpful. Very good customer service overall.

The only thing I wished that could have been done differently is the pairings of divers. I enjoy diving with people who are similarly experienced. We were grouped with some less experienced divers who kicked up a lot of sand and had trouble going through swim-throughs due to poor buoyancy control. These divers, as nice as they were, seemed to stir up lots of sand at the wrong moments such was when I was trying to get a nice picture of that nurse shark our divemaster pointed out. One diver actually got stuck to the ceiling of a swim through and needed to physically be pulled down and given extra weight. The best example, just after entering devil's throat, one of the divers in our group got stuck on his back on the bottom. I was like "is this really happening? in devil's throat of all places?". It was fairly comical for me, but likely not for that diver. I'm sure these things happen fairly regularly and it by no means ruined the experience. The diving was beautiful and fun nonetheless.

I would definitely use Opal's dream again, but would request to be paired with the most experienced divers.

1  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went diving with Opal's Dream for 2 days, and had a great experience. They took only 6 people on the boat, along with a DM and the captain, so we had a nice small group, and became friends with the other divers.

The best thing about the experience was how accommodating and helpful they all were. Some examples:
- Our 2nd day was a holiday, and still they decided to work and take us out diving, and even get a boat together to take our non-diver friends snorkeling.
- They let us choose where we wanted to go each day, including going quite far on our 2nd, very windy day (Columbia). We all got splashed all the way there because of the waves, but it was worth it.
- When some of the equipment was not working (my partner's mask was leaking), the DM gave him his own mask, then they drove another mask from the shop for the 2nd dive

The only less-than-perfect aspect of our experience was that some of the equipment was on the older side, but they made up for it with making sure the dive still went ahead without issues.

1  Thank itaileibo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I've dove with these guys 3 or 4 times now. I brought my wife down to get her OWD certification. She worked with Servando as her instructor. Victor was kind enough to allow me to be present for all her water excersizes and I can say the instructor was strict, yet very fair and even more so, he was very patient with her, along with being very knowledgable. I continue to be impressed by this dive shop and the services provided by kind folks like Victor, Vickie and all.