“Best meal we had in cozumel!”
Review of Casa Denis

Casa Denis
Ranked #74 of 411 Restaurants in Cozumel
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Much better than anything else we ate while there. We just happened on this place due to a recommendation from one of the locals. We had tried several of the highest rated restaurants in cozumel and all had been disappointing. Casa Denis was great however. Prices were reasonable. We had the mixed fajitas (chicken, beef, shrimp) and "Charlie" style broiled red snapper. Pico de gallo was excellent. Fajitas were good, but the fish was fresh and perfectly done. Excellent meal, we were very pleased.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stopped off for lunch July 30th. Food so so, nothing out of the ordinary, service far from friendly. I could have forgiven them that until I had to use the restroom. Disgusting is putting it mildly! Won't go back to an establishment who cleary has no respect for their customers that way.
Won't be going back there. There are far too many better places to eat in town.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

we ate the twice during the week and we had the most delicious conchinita pibbil, enchiladas de mole and sopes....all that with a couple of Dos Equis...pure heaven!!!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Well, let's see. I now rate this restaurant average, a few years ago I would have rated it higher. After many visits to Cozumel for diving and learning of and experiencing other restaurants, I can only rate CD as average. It's on par with the other restaurants on the square and the main tourist drag. The food is average, the service is average with overtones of phony friendliness. This is an interesting place to observe waiters who are obviously more interested in their tips, than in your business; and who exhibit a rivalry among them that borders on meanness. The theater becomes more obvious the more you visit and compare the food and behavior of the waiters with those from other restaurants--especially those that are not located on the main street or the square. Most on the square and main drag cater to the cruise ship crowd, and know how to maximize thier tips from that group. You will get a decent meal, at a reasonable price, but you can do better elsewhere. Except this may be the only place you will get reconsititued black frijoles. Things to watch for from my personal experince 1) if you are a single person prepare to be largely ignored if a group of, well anything over 1, comes along--suddenly you will disappear; 2) watch for "change" games, remember that Casa Denis does not accept credit cards; so the point is to maximize the tip--for example my meal came to 110 pesos and even with the poor service (a large group arrived and I became a non-person) I would have left 25 pesos for a tip; I tendered a 200 peso bill; the waiter came back and told me that they had no change! Well, I know they had change because they have been doling it out to the other patrons and taking it in, too. I told the waiter that I found that hard to believe--and I remain, civil by the way. The waiter became a bit indignant. So, he left and I left him 2 US dollars as a tip, instead of the 90 pesos he thought he was going to get out of me. It's not the money with me, it's the behavior and the obviousness of the game. Just trying to maximize a tip from a single person table. But I have seen this happen here before with others. Look for a couple of the waiters (I could give names, since it is the same two or three, but what's the point) to bring back your change in the largest denominations possible knowing that a) you won't ask for smaller bills; b) you likely won't care since they are pesos. Regardless, I won't detail the unusual competition and the games among the wait staff--see if you can pick that up on your own. On the one hand the place is annoying-on the other a fun place to observe the gringos get suckered in.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

The staff are fantastic. Repartee was lively. Food was excellent. Margaritas tops. Ate there twice this trip.