We stayed two nights at the Hotel and Bungalows Mayaland, It is right next to the Chichen Itza complex - there is a view of the old observatory from the hotel foyer. The building is grand, old, and beautiful with a lot of history. The room was spacious and comfortable. The staff were friendly and conducted themselves in a very dignified manner. The food was OK - we are vegetarians and the choices were rather limited. Breakfasts were good (loved adding habanero sauce to scrambled eggs!). The Wi-Fi connection is good in the lobby area but cannot be used from other floors.
The only reason that I thought twice before giving it a 5/5 is that there were several maintenance issues all of which could be easily fixed with a little more attention to detail. For example, the cistern in the toilet flush did not work properly - I had to keep removing the top of the tank and making sure the chain did not obstruct the flushing mechanism (it had too many links in it). Addition of a few hooks to hang clothes/towels in the bathroom might be a good idea. There was a gap at the top of the door leading to the balcony through which mosquitoes could fly in.
These issues were minor (I'm only mentioning them so the management takes notice). We really enjoyed our stay here - spending time in the ruins, watching the film in the planetarium and reading about the amazing prowess of the Maya in mathematics and astronomy on the internet to understand it all a little better. I only wish we had stayed longer and had time to vist Ek Balam as well. Amazing location, wonderful hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- World-Class resort in a unique tropical setting inside the Chichen Itza Arqueological Park. SPA. One of the 100 hotels on National Geographic "The Stay List" 2009 and again in one of the "133 Hotels we love, December 2011. Conde Nast Reader's One of the 100 Top Hotels in the World 2003. Conde Nast Gold List 2004. The most awarded resort in Yucatan. A member of the Rain Forest Alliance. 100% Mayan staff. Over 100 acres of unique tropical gardens. Award winning restaurants serving Mayan, Yucatecan, Mexican and International delicacies. Specialty stores. The Choco Story Museum store. we are less than a 2 hour drive from Cancun International Airport. Even less from the Merida Airport. We have special transportation pricing and arrangements. please contact us for details. We have a money back guarantee that our Resort, rooms, services and facilities are the very best in all of central Yucatan (Including Valladolid, Izamal and all other villages). Please Call us for more information on transportation, tours and activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Expedia, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel And Bungalows Mayaland
- Mayaland Hotel Chichén Itzá
- Hotel Mayaland