“Wow.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Chichen Itza
Bedale, United Kingdom
“Wow.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent 3 nights here as part of a tour of the Yucatan. The ambience is fantastic. It's proximity to the historic site of Chichen Itza means you can walk from the hotel into the Chichen Itza site easily. We had an escorted tour in the morning and lunch back at the hotel, our tickets were valid for the day so we were able to go back in again for the afternoon. It was January so the whole place was quiet.

The beds were comfortable, the room had everything we needed and was a charming wooden building with a balcony and a pool right outside.

Food. Excellent. We were on a tariff that was full board and drinks with meals. The waiters were fantastic, they can't do enough for you.

If you want to take full advantage of the ruins I'd say stay for at least two nights, that way you get a full day to see them and really enjoy the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank notpastityet
chichenuxmal, Owner at Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Your comment inspires us all to keep working very hard to exceed our guest's expectations.
Than You ! We look forward to having you with us again... and to surprise you with all we are doing around our over 500 acres of sacred grounds. You'll love it ! Come back soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tiverton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

We only booked 1 night and stayed in the main complex to see the ruins at first light before the coach tours arrive and boy was that a smart move. What we hadnt expected was the wonderful hotel,staff and grounds. Quality was found in every detail.The only fly in the ointment as far as our room went was the jacuzzi took over an hour to fill. Its a hard life! Big clean quality rooms and 3 swimming pools set in old gardens dotted with bungalows.
The food was very good if a little pricey and at lunchtime crowds pour in to eat at the buffet which is much cheaper thus disturbing the otherwise tranquile feeling.
Perfect for the ruins as its a short walk but be aware you will have to buy 2 tickets each to enter, One for the state and one for the country,apparently they dont trust each other enough to combine the tickets and it requires 2 officials. Would come back and stay longer even without the ruins. Visit the observatory at night, well worth doing.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
1 Thank JRB55
Well yes.. longer stays allow you to really absorb the many wonders of Chichen Itza and it's surroundings... and to RELAX... which is really what we are all about ! Great Service. Fantastic Cuisine in a peaceful, magic environment. We hope to see you back soon! Muchas Gracias.
Nueziders, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We spent one night at the beginning of the month, it was the best decision we could take. We were upgraded from superior room in a Junior Suite with a large balcony looking over the garden. The hotel is well maintained, the garden is a wonderful park with beautiful very old trees. Our Junior Suite was very spacious and the bathroom very clean. At the restaurant, the service was very good, friendly, trying to help when required (we needed a special diet and got it without problem). But the biggest luxury at this hotel is the private entrance to the ruins. That's incredible ! Ten minutes after opening of the entrance fence at 8.oo am, we were standing alone in front of the spectacular Pyramide of the Kukulcán! Fantastic! I couldn't believe it! We could enjoy the site almost alone before the main stream of tourists arrived 2 hours later ! That hotel is really the best place to stay when visiting Chichén Itzá.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second-floor, overlooking the restaurant-terrasse and the garden have a spacious ba...
1 Thank micheleav
Thank you so much for sharing your experience amongst us with the world's traveling community.
We are delighted you had a great time and truly look forward to your next visit! Until then,Safe and Happy Travels!
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Mayaland Hotel, in mid-February. The Hotel has been there since 1926 and has the charm of hotels of that era. It has been extremely well maintained and renewed. I would describe it as understated elegance. A special treat was the excellent restaurant and Rogelio and the kitchen and wait staff. We enjoyed every meal. One evening I had chicken breast stuffed with squash blossoms. It was superb. The next evening Rogelio surprised us with dessert of crepes suzette. It was excellent.
The Mayaland Hotel is at the back entrance to Chichen Itza. This entrance is about 100 meters from the hotel door. We entered the Park when it opened at 8:00 am and had the place nearly to ourselves for several hours. About 10:00 am the tour buses from Cancun start to arrive. By then we were deep into the park and by noon we were ready for lunch at the hotel. But, we had four quiet hours in the park to explore the ruins.
That evening we enjoyed the Mayan Skies presentation at the Mayaland Hotel Planetarium followed by an opportunity to observe Jupiter through a telescope with the assitance of a trained astronomer.
We will be visiting again soon.

Room Tip: Our west side room had a view of the Mayan Observatory.
1 Thank Rick A
What a great review ! Muchas Gracias.
We really look forward to your next visit. You are one of the first to experience our new Planetarium. This summer, the world renown Choco Story museum in Belgium is opening their most complete, largest museum dedicated to cacao and chocolate in the world, on 20 acres next to the Mayaland Hotel & Bungalows. Hasta Pronto!.
Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

The service was very good. Room clean, nice private balcony to relax on (we had a superior room). Coffee maker in room if you like black coffee. Mini bar. No safe in room. 2 double beds a bit small, pillows hard. Very large bath/ jacuzzi. Free wi-fi in lobby.
We were given a drink and wet flannel as soon as we arrived. Lots of stairs and no lift.
My evening meal looked like a work of art, I had to take a picture of it. It tasted good too. Far too much for me to eat. The staff offered to help us all the time even offering to pour milk into our coffee for us. It made us feel spoilt.
You can get into Chichen Itza from 8'clock from the hotel entrance (an hour earlier then the general public).

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelMum44444
Our collaborators are delighted with your comment about our service! Thank You !
The Chef is thrilled that you took pictures of his presentation... Great ! You made him very happy !
...As you did all of us. We look forward to your next visit with us. Until then, Safe Travels.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Loved it! One day here and I totally unwound! . I was in love with the place from the first moment - and a view of the observatory of Chichen Itza framed by the doorway. Just wow!
My room was lovely, air conditioned, a real bath, not just a shower, a balcony looking over the gardens. Peacocks sauntering about. The gardens were so tranquil and I kept finding new treasures. The bungalows look beautiful. They have managed to make them look natural in a natural setting, not an easy thing to do. I think Mayaland would be a fantastic place for a honeymoon tucked up in one of those cottages in a wood of palms.
it has it's own little planetarium and there was a little show called Maya skies. It was a little dull. i think it needs updating - better graphics, more vivid colours - but it's only a minor quibble - it only cost 7 pesos and it was pleasant.

It was very quiet when I was there, but it looks like it could accommodate hundreds in it's various restaurants.

Of course the absolutely best thing is that the hotel has a private entrance to Chichen Itza - two minutes down the garden path. can you believe it? I was the very first person on the site that morning. i had it practically to myself for about two hours. There are no other tourists in my photographs. i might have discovered it myself for the first time! And let's face - that's what we all want.

I treated myself to two massages - one the evening I arrived and one after visiting Chichen itza. - - more expensive than the British rate , so I should imagine astronomical by Mexican standards, but I was in pain and the deep massage was excellent, so it was worth it. There was some pressure put on me to have longer massage at a buen precio, but that really was astronomical by any standards.

My only quibble is the added extras. the room was excellent value, but I didn't like having to pay mini bar prices for my water. I felt that was just mean, when even the budget hotels have all given me at least a couple of bottles of free water. I also didn't like the fact that there were no prices on the menu in my information book or on the bar menu in the. I had a tequila sunrise and in fact it wasn't too pricey, but it made me feel insecure.I didn't even dare ask for a menu in one of the restaurants. i am travelling on my own so I don't eat in restaurants much, but had I wanted to, this would really have put me off. I am of the opinion if it doesn't have a price marked on it, it means you can't afford it.

My guess is that unlike the sanctuary at Macchu Picchu Mayaland doesn't have a monopoly on proximity to the ruins and therefore cannot charge silly prices, but the sting you in other ways once they get you there.
Neverthelss, I loved it. I had a wonderful day and would have stayed longer, just to enjoy the hotel if i hadn't already made a reservation elsewhere.

Room Tip: In was in room 29 in the main building and I was very happy with it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mylene O
What a fantastic review! Thank you. We all look forward to having you again amongst us.
Until then, Safe and Happy travels!
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here one night to make our trip out to Chichen Itza a little less stressful. It worked out perfectly. Arrange a private tour through the hotel for a fair price for great tour guide. We split the cost with one other couple and felt it was a great value for a great tour guide, "Turtle".

Breakfast at the restaurant was tasty, and I've had dinner here before and loved it.

Room Tip: The hotel is nice, but the bungalows are what really shines here. Clean, tropical and romantic.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seabrew
We are delighted you had a great time at The Mayaland Hotel & Bungalows.
We all look forward to your next visit! Muchas Gracias!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chichen Itza
#1 of 14 in Valladolid
Zentik Boutique Hotel
Zentik Boutique Hotel
#3 of 14 in Valladolid

Been to Hotel & Bungalows Mayaland? Share your experiences!