“Drive if you can, and arrive early” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Cancun Combo: Xel-Ha and Coba Ruins in One Day from Cancun
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Tour Xichen is an exclusive guided tour to the archaeological site of Chichen Itza that includes an unforgettable tour to Valladolid, a colonial Mexican town surrounded by picturesque, beautiful and captivating corners worth visiting, such as a Mayan Cenote and the ex-Monastery of Saint Bernardino of Siena.Enjoy a delicious All Inclusive buffet lunch in a typical Mexican restaurant in Valladolid. An exquisite variety of Yucatan’ specialties, as well as the best Mexican and international cuisine
Montreal
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Drive if you can, and arrive early”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

The majority of the tour buses start coming in at 11:30 am or 12:00 pm, and there are A LOT of them. We rented a car in Playa del Carmen, left at 7:15 am and got to the site at 10:30 am or thereabouts. We didn't have the place to ourselves, but we also didn't have to wait in line and had the extra benefit of being able to take photos that were largely unobstructed by hundreds of people. The extra bonus was the cost: $66 for the rental + gas, and the car was delivered and picked up from our hotel. Having taken this kind of tour last year, I know they don't come cheap. Either way though, the site is spectacular and well worth the few hours away from the beach.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank GingersMom66

• Hungarian first
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Just completed our tour... freakin loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

My parents, my sister and her fiancé, and my wife & I took the Xichen tour today and the experience was way better than we imagined. A big reason for this is because of the great tour guides. Eduardo, Mauricio, and Ivan were the best tour guides I have ever had, and I have visited over 25 countries around the world. These guys went out of their way to make sure the entire group had a great time. They were very knowledgeable of the sites, were very pleasant, and made us laugh the entire trip. My wife is just coming off of a broken leg and is still only at 60% walking capacity and our guides did everything they power to make the tour more accessible for her. Of course Chichen Itza was great. I was sad that you can no longer walk up the pyramid due to too many tourist marking the pyramid with graffiti (thanks for ruining it for everyone immature tourists).

The lunch at Valladolid was great and the service there was great also.

All in all fantastic day. A little tired after 12 hours, but it was worth it because the whole family had a great time.

4 Thank Raul M
Calgary, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Excellent if you like History”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

My daughter (13) and I took this tour with the Experiencias Xcaret group from our hotel in Puerto Morelos. They picked us up at 7:00 am and returned us to the hotel at 8:30 pm, so it is a long day. But the busses that run from the Experiencias Xcaret terminal (near the Cancun Airport) to Chichen-Itza are high quality coaches with movies and washrooms.

The drive is long (3 hours each way), across the largely featureless Yucatan peninsula along the good toll road. The guides were entertaining and friendly.

Chichen-Itza is one of those places you just need to see if you are vacationing in Cancun. The pyramids and ball courts are amazing. The guides are pretty good at explaining the history, although if you are well-read on the subject you may find their explanations overly simplified.

The tour then stopped in Valladolid for lunch, and we had some time to visit an old church and wander the streets. We then went to the Zaci Cenote, which a particularly impressive example of this Yucatan geological feature.

All in - this was a great tour. Try going away from high season / holidays - the crowds will probably be less at Chichen-Itza which might make it a little more enjoyable.

Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Another great excursion offered by Experiencas Excaret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stop#1: Chichen Itza. Long ride there but our licensed tour guide, Carlos, kept us entertained the whole way there and back. Gave us information about Mayan history, Mexican culture, values, language and the current economy there. Great learning experience- you can ask your guide anything and everything. Unlimited beer available on the bus!

Stop# 2: Cute old Spanish Colonial Town

Stop# 3: A breath-taking sink hole, 'cenote'

Stop#4: Delicious buffet at a very authentic beautiful Mexican restaurant. Carlos recommended the dishes that were Mexican specialties. We stayed at a 5 star hotel, the buffet at the hotel was terrible compared to the one on the tour.

Worth the money! Professional Tour Guide! Get a taste of Mexico!

Visited November 2012
4 Thank Karen D
Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Long trip but interesting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We took this trip from Akumel so it was a long long bus ride. The bus depot is nice and well appointed and the breakfast on board was good.

First Stop - Xichen Itza
The majority of the passengers on board were Spanish so I was happy that we were divided and put into the much smaller English group. Our guide was good and informative although I was surprised that you can no longer climb on the ruins. I understand why that is but it was disappointing at the same time. I hated the fact that I had to walk past, literally, hundreds of vendors all selling the same stuff and hounding you to buy. It really took away from the experience.

Second Stop - Cenote
This was completely unexpected and beautiful - so glad we stopped here to see as it was so goo dto see.

Third Stop - Valladolid
At this point it was well into the afternoon and we were just stopping for lunch. We were starving at this point and getting a bit grouchy. The buffet lunch was okay - slightly worse quality than what was available at our resort. The bathrooms were nice and the altar near the back in a separate little courtyard was beautiful. We were given about 30min after lunch to look at a church and do any shopping we wanted - didn't feel that this was enough time to fully explore.

Final stretch home felt really long. It was an exhausting 12hr day but I did feel that I got a lot for the $100/person fee.

Visited October 2012