“Sleeping in the jungle!”
Review of Hotel Oka'an

Hotel Oka'an
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Chichen Itza
Kokkedal, Denmark
“Sleeping in the jungle!”
Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Great location very close to Chichen Itza, and to the cenote Il-kil, even if the 1.5km unpaved access road can discourage the timid driver.
The atmosphere is unique and enchanting: the hotel itself is in the middle of the jungle, and day and night you are surrounded by the noises of the forest! My 14yo daughter loved it immensely.
We didn't dine there, but we had a lovely breakfast on a terrace overlooking the spa and a little pond.
The staff is extremely friendly and nice, but there are some issues with the connection for the POS at the reception. WiFi only available in the reception.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2014

My family and I absolutely loved this hotel! It is so beautiful and peaceful. My children ages 9 and 11 were roaming the grounds exploring and swimming in the pool. My in-laws were also with us and were equally pleased. This property is perfect for just about anyone in my opinion. I t is romantic and charming, offers privacy with bungalows dotted spaciously throughout the property. I believe there is a main building with traditional "hotel" rooms. I never went in that building as we stayed in the bungalows.
If you are planning on visiting Chichen Itza this place is perfect! We drove in from Cancun and arrived pretty late in the evening. We ignored warnings from the car rental agent that there would be absolutely nothing to eat on the way there once outside of Cancun. Needless to say we were starving. When we arrived at the reception the lady helping us called the on-site restaurant to let them know we were coming. They were about to close but stayed open for us. They were so gracious about it also. We never once felt like they were doing us a huge favor, even though they were. The entire staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The food was very good as well. The free breakfast that is included is very basic, but you can add on eggs, bacon, ham etc.
The rooms were very nice, but we did notice a bit of a moldy mildewy smell in the bungalows. I'm sure it is due to how they are built with an open tropical design and of course the forrest location. My mother in law has all sorts of respiratory "issues" and she was fine with it. You probably wouldn't have the moldy smell in the main building, but the bungalows are so quaint. We had a ground level room and it was great. My in laws had a second floor room and the view into the tree canopy is spectacular. One other note to mention is the bed length. The design of the bedframe has a good portion of the mattress lost behind the headboard. My husband is 6.1 and all we had to do was slide the mattress out from behind the headboard. I don't know if all the beds are like that, ours was.
It is a bit tricky to find the hotel as other reviewers have mentioned and even more so at night. If you are driving in from Cancun you will be on a divided highway. You will exit the highway and follow the signs for Chichen Itza. It will lead you through a small town and you will come to a fork in the road leading you to Chichen Itza temple to the right or back onto the highway on the left. The hotel is to the left and so you need to get back onto the highway, but you will be on the opposite side of which you came in on. The hotel will be on the left and there is a sign which is not easily visible at night. If you will be travelling at night drive slowly and keep alert for the turn off. Believe me it is worth the effort to find this place.
We had plans to visit Chichen Itza after breakfast and arrive there at opening time. When 6 people are travelling things don't always go as planned... they open at 8 and I think we got there at 9:30. We got parking right in the small lot they have and did not have to wait for tickets. There are two different ticket lines. One is for the park and one is for the government. You have to buy both tickets. We were wondering why it was so empty and we would later learn how fortunate we were. We hired a guide at the park and it was well worth the money. We were able to enjoy our visit without huge crowds because we stayed so close. Most tourists come by bus from Cancun or other beach locations. We saw them when we were leaving around 1 pm and it wasn't pretty. The lines to buy tickets snaked around the artisan market outside. The line of cars and buses waiting to get in was easily a mile long. We were so grateful we stayed in Chichen itza.
Please forgive all of my detail about Chichen Itza, I know this is a review of hotel o'kaan. I believe most people staying at this hotel will be visiting Chichen and might find it helpful.

Room Tip: I loved the bungalows!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank jaikoch
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This hotel is in an absolutely beautiful location, connected with Chichen Itza. I woke up to birdsong every morning and was mesmerized by the stars and sounds of the jungle at night. You can see the tip of the pyramid in the distance. The staff was very helpful and welcoming and the food was delicious. We had the opportunity to try authentic Mayan cuisine and traditional Mexican dishes. We loved the pool and everything about this hotel. Just amazing!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 29, 2014

This hotel is 1.5hr off the main road down a dirt track. Behind the greenery you will discover a hotel that has been built to fit with the surrounding landscape.
The rooms are tastefully decorated and the pool is split into a few levels which looks pretty cool. We arrived at night and were leaving early the next day, so unfortunately weren’t able to make use of the pool.
At night you feel like you’re in a rainforest/jungle with all the trees, fresh air and noises at about. Little cars can transport you between your room, the restaurant and reception, unless you’d prefer to walk a few minutes. At night, this was not something we were not keen on as some areas weren’t brightly lit. I was conscious of spraining my ankle on something.
The restaurant food was average, but on the expensive side I would say for Mexico standards.
There are no TVs in the room, or wifi in the rooms, only in the reception area. This was our only issue with the hotel, as we required internet access for work reasons and the lobby area wifi reception was weak at best and then non-existent at other times.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Beautiful grounds, wonderful location, amazing atmosphere. We stayed at Okaan for one night in December. The location was great for exploring Chichen Itza. The atmosphere was very refreshing and a wonderful place for a break between a trip from Cancun to Merida. I highly recommend this hotel. The staff was very helpful and kind.

• Stayed December 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2014

The hotel is very nice, in a beautiful secluded location, still very close to Chicen Itza. The rooms are bright, wide and very clean. There is no telephone or WiFi in the rooms. WiFi is available at the reception which is couple of minutes walking distance from the rooms.

My advice: the hotel is very good and as I said, very clean; you can chose it for a night or two.
BUT STAY AWAY FROM THE RESTAURANT. Even if you are starving, do not try this place. It is exceptionaly overpriced (30 $ for 2 cremes brûlée etc.), the food is not worth it and the people working there strive to take your money no matter what.

We had our breakfast "included" and it was bad (toasts were from yesterday, fruits were very old, butter was ridiculously small in quantity - the butter given for 3 people was enough for one toast). I have never complained before, I prefer just to not rate a hotel or a restaurant than give it a bad review. But I fill that this restaurant is somehow shady and I should say that.
Other than that, the restaurant as a place is cozy and nice. People working there is something else.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Right in the tropical forrest 10 minutes drive away from Chichen Itza. To wake up by rising sun and sounds of surrounding forrest was unforgettable. Beautiful multi-level pool only added to the general great impression. Standard room huge, two queen size beds, stylish shower room. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2013
#7 of 15 in Valladolid
Hotel Posada San Juan
Hotel Posada San Juan
#1 of 15 in Valladolid

Been to Hotel Oka'an? Share your experiences!