“So atmospheric”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cheshire
“So atmospheric”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This is a beautiful hotel, right nxt door to the Chichen Itza ruins. You can easily walk there early in the morning when it is very quiet.
The hotel itself is very special, very atmospheric, it was used as a base by the archaelogists who explored the site. It has a grand entrance and a sitting room which is the library. The restaurant, which is excellent is on the terrace. Accommodation is in the bungalows built for the researchers in the grounds. Lovely sunny pool.

A great place to stop and explore

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights while wandering through Chichen Itza and the plethora of wonderful cenotes surrounding it. The main attraction is definitely the location. One can visit the Mayan ruins and walk slowly towards the Hacienda in under 2 minutes. Food was lovely but a tad expensive. Room was big and comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful. Pool was a definite plus, and the lush greenery around it made for a restful atmosphere.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I wanted to stay here for the proximity to the ruins and because of the history of the place. I was not disappointed. Upon arrival I was bowled over by the beauty of the hacienda and the graciousness of the staff. A cool drink was served as I checked in and was escorted to my cabin. Although mine was small and a little dark it was clean and comfortable. There was a porch outside with chairs and a hammock but I didn't have long to linger before dinner and the night show at the ruins.

The grounds are quite beautiful and the swimming pool looked inviting. I wandered over the older section of the grounds as well, which include an old chapel and the ruined walls of the original hacienda. The gardener even gave me a tour of the kitchen garden and showed me chaya - a spinach like green that is actually a bush.

I found the dining room to be lovely but dinner was very, very expensive. Had I known this I might have walked to the other hotel down the road and perhaps eaten there. Also, after the light show at the pyramid, I came back for a drink on the verandah and thought that was quite pricey also. At least the ambience was wonderful. Rising early, I had a great breakfast and was off to the ruins in time for the gate to open which was one of the main reasons I selected this hotel.

For my budget this was an extravagance, but for the experience it was worth it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The hotel is very lovely. The grounds are beautiful and pool area nice. The breakfast was ok, nothing great but lunch and dinner were excellent.

The best thing about this hotel is the location. Right at Chichen Itza with its own entrance. The hotel is soooo much better than its sister Mayaland which was overrun with tourist on day trips!! We went over there for what we were told was a great lunch buffet but quickly left...

I think this would be a nice place to stay for a couple of days but other than Chichen Itza nothing much to do here.

I think this is the best place to stay before going to Chichen Itza. I definitely recommend going to a hotel the night before instead of taking one of those day tours, everyone I talked to who was on one of them seemed stressed and rushed. By staying in a hotel the night before you can get into the ruins early while it is still cooler and not yet over-run by the day tours then by lunch time be back resting at your hotel.

Overall a nice hotel !

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tammynnc
Reading, UK
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed here for one night.

On arrvial there was a welcome drink of agua de chaya, very freshing after a long bus journey.

The room was large with 2 double beds and a good sized bathroom.

The hacienda is situated 15mins walk from Chichen Itza and has its own entrance to the site (on the east side).

It has its own pool and spa (which we didn´t try due to time).

We had lunch in the hacienda twice and the food was great.

Recommend going early to Chichen Itza to beat the crowds and heat. When we left to take the bus to our next stop the west entrance to the site was heaving with crowds and queues.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Holiday-lover50
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed June 3, 2011

If you want to explore ruins of Chichen then I highly recommend that you stay at a hotel within walking distance so that you can be the first at the gate when it opens at 8am! It's cooler and the tour buses from Cancun have not yet made it which allows you time to really let this place sink in!

Hacienda Chichen is top-notch all around! The place is gorgeous....nice pool...rooms are beautiful and spacious. The restaurant is absolutely excellent with everything we had!

We also got a Mayan massage as a couple which was truly a magical experience. We actually floated out of there!!

I'm definitely coming back here and will stay two nights next time!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We loved our three night stay at the historic hacienda Chichen. Our large and charming room--in one of the archeologist's bungalows-- had simple and clean lines brightened by Mexican wall hangings and colorful hand-made pillows and lovely flowers. We loved breakfasts and dinners on the porch of the historic main building--fun in the mornings and beautiful at night. The food was outstanding Mayan cooking with excellent fresh produce.

We loved waking up and hearing the birds in the jungle setting, seeing the flowers along the paths and appreciating the scents of the tropical jungle. We valued the ecological aspects of the Hacienda. The Spa was amazing. I loved the Mayan massage
from the skilled hands of the Mayan masseuse. And it was a pleasure to be in the gift shop knowing that a percentage of the proceeds go to the Mayan foundation.
The outdoor pool--under the palms-- was long enough to enjoy lap swimming which I love--as opposed to many hotel pools where you merely wade. I also loved walking the grounds and seeing the historic chapel and the remains of very old facades.

The hotel set us up with Juan, who was a truly outstanding guide, to show us Chichen Itza. We learned a great deal and enjoyed our visit.

I do not agree with reviews that expressed the idea that this hacienda would be good for staying one night and seeing Chichen Itza, but not for a longer stay. We loved all three nights and could have stayed longer. We drove to several sights in adjacent towns. We plan to return and visit this beautiful and memorable hacienda again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 15 in Valladolid
Zentik Boutique Hotel
Zentik Boutique Hotel
#4 of 15 in Valladolid

Been to Hacienda Chichen? Share your experiences!