TripAdvisor

from $48.00
from $48.00
from $39.58
24,347 results
All reviews tour guide seven wonders an umbrella playa del carmen ball court mayan culture toll road bucket list main pyramid buy souvenirs vendors selling lots of water bring water rented a car long trip hour drive amazing site
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I visited Chitchen Itza the day after visiting Coba and Tulum and compared to the both itza made me go “wow”. Mainly cause the first thing I saw when I walked in was the Kukulcan temple. Another great site was the huge Mayan ball game arena ( There was also one at Coba but smaller). I wish that I could climb the Kukulcan temple (since I got to climb Coba) but they no longer let ppl climb - would have been amazing though). Chitchen is a must see if you choose to go one ruin, however I would recommend seeing all 3. Coba for the climbing and Tulum for the view.

Since it’s such a popular site to visit there are a lot of vendors selling souvenirs when compared to Coba and Tulum. Unlike Coba and Tulum where they are just by the entrance. Here they are also inside the site in the walkways between the ruins. They would say $1 us but when u ask it’s not. It’s kind of a turn off because while you’re trying to take it all in you also have to say “ no gracias” ( unless you’re planning on buying something). It’s not all that bad because they have some artifacts that you won’t be able to find other places like Walmart or mercado 28 (I didn’t really check out the Souvenirs at Coba and Tulum sites because we didn’t have time since this was a joint tour). But one example of artifacts I only saw In chitchen itza was the lava glass. Then souvenirs there were definitely different so If I had another chance u would buy at least one souvenir there (lava glass). Souvenirs like t shirts dresses and Mayan calendars could be found anywhere but the lava glass, wooden mask, jaguar and owl whistles were rare in the other places I checked. Note that if you’re planning to buy anything there or in the market prepare to bargain so prepare a price in your mind you’re willing to pay.

It was also difficult to take pictures since there is so many people there is always other ppl in your shot. If you are going independently you can try going early in the morning.

However overall it was a good experience. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable. Highly recommend comfortable shoes sunscreen, hat, water and maybe an umbrella. Umbrella proved very useful in chitchen itza and would have been in Tulum but it could be too much in your hands when it’s time to take pictures.

1  Thank Merasion
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Came on a Tui day trip from our resort and the great thing about this is that we were there for opening time (even though it meant a 5am start!). This meant that we were there before the crowds and more importantly before the temperature became unbearable.

It is an astonishing place made even more so by our guide who made everything make sense!

Truly wonderful and a must visit if you are anywhere nearby.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Unforgettable tour, the guides and the driver were excellent from Go nature Tours. Ulysses's knowledge was boundless. This is a review between the four of us guests.

1  Thank cabahug
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We booked our trip to Chichen Itza with a local tour company, Baktun Tours who are based in the shopping mall (next to The big Santander) in Cancun. A very helpful man called Erasmo, booked us a great deal $67 (American) for a trip including comfortable, clean air conditioned transport, lunch a visit to a living Mayan village, guided tour of Chichen Itza itself, a swim in a beautiful Cenote and a final stop at the Church of San Sevacio in Valladolid . Well worth the money; and a richly knowledgeable and friendly guide, Jorge into the bargain. There was a an extra $30 dollars if you opt for the unlimited drinks package, but this isn't really necessary. Make sure that you take plenty of sun block as it's extremely hot in the jungle as well as some decent rain proof clothes as you can get soaked by a tropical downpour. Most important use a good mosquito deterrent, as they are fierce! A beautiful unforgettable day of amazing history and insight.

1  Thank Lovemidushi
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great place to meet the history of the Mayan people. Beautiful views. Pleasant and quiet atmosphere. We could only complain for this: guided tour could be better; it didn't cover the entire complex, and tips are requested everywhere.